Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2014, 08:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Morning around the airport

It was quite a beautiful morning around the airport today, so I grabbed a few shots with the Q + 01. Some sort of large water bird flew low over the tarmac in #2, but it was too far away for any sort of detail, even cropped, so I left the full FOV in the photo. These shots are decent, but I've seen some really great pics from some of you folks with the Q + 01. Perhaps it's my settings; I used M at ISO 250, f/8, and varing shutter speeds. I also processed these from RAW using RawTherapee and GIMP. Perhaps it's because these are really wide angle shots, with subjects mostly far way from the lens. Opinions?

06-11-2014, 08:55 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That fog looks very cool- thanks for sharing!

With the Q, there's quite a big difference between base ISO and anything higher, so I'd recommend shooting at ISO 125 to get the most detail, especially with wide-angle lenses.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-11-2014, 09:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
How do I do that, Adam? I was just looking through the menus, and the lowest I can get the ISO is 250. Firmware is 1.14.

EDIT: Never mind, found the problem.

Last edited by TonyTurley; 06-11-2014 at 09:34 AM.
06-11-2014, 09:29 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cool images. You've got a great vantage point to shoot from.

06-11-2014, 09:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks wtlwdwgn.
06-11-2014, 10:29 AM   #6
Site Supporter

I like your compositions, but the images look a little soft, same as the uninspiring ones that I get with my Q. I've never really been able to get the same kind of punch that other Qusers seem to be able to get.

I wonder if f/8 is already hitting the diffraction limit, for a Q lens?

Or, maybe the Q is not the best choice for landscapes?
06-11-2014, 10:35 AM   #7

the mist on some of those look really atmospheric.
J
06-11-2014, 10:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
I like your compositions, but the images look a little soft, same as the uninspiring ones that I get with my Q. I've never really been able to get the same kind of punch that other Qusers seem to be able to get.

I wonder if f/8 is already hitting the diffraction limit, for a Q lens?

Or, maybe the Q is not the best choice for landscapes?
I considered if f/8 may have been pushing it, but decided to go for it. Some Q users seem to get impeccable image quality, but then again, I'm not using a DA* lens, either. I'll just keep playing with the settings and see what I can do.
QuoteOriginally posted by jethro10 Quote
the mist on some of those look really atmospheric. J
Thanks, it was even more impressive in person.

06-11-2014, 01:27 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I'm not a Q user but I have used other small sensor cameras, so maybe these raw processing comments will help. I'm expressing things in Lightroom terminology but GIMP should have similar features.

I think #6 (the last image with the tower) is my favorite composition. IMO the foreground tower is too dark, so try adjusting the shadow slider to brighten the foreground. If the image loses too much contrast, back off a little bit or adjust other settings as needed.

The ground in image #1 looks too dark. A graduated filter effect or the shadow slider could brighten that a little bit.

#2, 3, and 4 all have a blotchy blue sky, especially noticeable near the top edge. It's either noise or a jpg artifact. Adjust sharpness settings to avoid oversharpening, or apply noise reduction, or don't compress the exported jpg. B&W conversion is another way to reduce the blotchy sky; it's a more heavy-handed approach but only take a few seconds to experiment with then unod if you don't like it.
06-11-2014, 07:31 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks DJ. I saw the splotchiness in the sky in those photos, and wasn't sure what I did wrong. I appreciate your suggestions. Sometimes my results just don't turn out as well as I'd like.
06-11-2014, 08:27 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Hmm, strike what I said about the dark foregrounds earlier. I just re-viewed the images at home rather than the office and they look better at home.

I also noticed a speckled halo around your signature. I think it's further evidence of jpg compression artifacts in the sky. Try tests at 100%, 95%, and 85% quality (Chapter6.Getting Images out of GIMP). Compare the final image detail and file size.
06-12-2014, 05:55 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks John. I usually use 100%, but I'll experiment and see what works best. Thanks for the link.
06-12-2014, 11:16 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TonyTurley Quote
It was quite a beautiful morning around the airport today, so I grabbed a few shots with the Q + 01. Some sort of large water bird flew low over the tarmac in #2, but it was too far away for any sort of detail, even cropped, so I left the full FOV in the photo. These shots are decent, but I've seen some really great pics from some of you folks with the Q + 01. Perhaps it's my settings; I used M at ISO 250, f/8, and varing shutter speeds. I also processed these from RAW using RawTherapee and GIMP. Perhaps it's because these are really wide angle shots, with subjects mostly far way from the lens. Opinions?
I get the best results keeping the lens at f4, diffraction seems to set in at f5.6 or smaller see link below. I get sharp results from all of my Q lenses 01,02,03 and 06. Neat fog shots

Pentax-01 Standard Prime 8.5mm f/1.9 (Pentax Q) - Review / Lens Test - Analysis
06-12-2014, 12:22 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Hans. Yes, I had the aperture set to its smallest, thinking I needed it in the morning light. My mistake.
06-12-2014, 01:49 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TonyTurley Quote
Thanks John. I usually use 100%, but I'll experiment and see what works best. Thanks for the link.
100% should give you the best image. I was wondering if maybe a lower value was causing the sky noise. If it's in the jpg at 100% quality then I assume you also see the sky issue in the original RAW file.