Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2014, 09:13 AM   #1
Veteran Member

More airport fog

Even at f/4, there's still some noise in the RAW files coming from the Q +01. I've spent a fair bit of time over the past few days tweaking my work flow with RawTherapee and GIMP. These are much improved, IMO.

06-13-2014, 11:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TonyTurley Quote
Even at f/4, there's still some noise in the RAW files coming from the Q +01.
Aperture has nothing to do with the noise levels, Tony.
As EXIF is stripped from your photos I can't tell the ISO you used. The ISO sensitivity is where you control the noise levels best.
06-13-2014, 12:02 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Yes, the wider aperture suggestion was to make the pictures sharper because there would be less light diffraction (which affects image quality much sooner on small sensors). The only indirect way it could have an effect on the noise would be if you were able to set your ISO lower because of using a wider aperture. The lower you set your ISO the less noise you should generally have (of course underexposing and pushing the exposure during post processing could also lead to some noise).
06-13-2014, 02:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I used ISO125. Some noise was still visible in the RAW files before I ever touched them. Still a head scratcher to me.

06-14-2014, 06:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nice shots Tony, as for noise I use Lightroom and mask the sky when sharpening to avoid sharpening the noise, the noise reduction in LR also works quite well as does the RAW developing. Having said that any exposure adjustments you make in PP can increase the appearance of noise, you might try bracketing the fog shots and pick the best exposure rather than adjusting them is post. I have used RawTherapee and found it difficult to get the results I can get with LR processing RAW files. I am mostly a jpeg shooter and only use RAW when in a very difficult lighting situation.
06-14-2014, 10:24 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Aperture has nothing to do with the noise levels, Tony.
As EXIF is stripped from your photos I can't tell the ISO you used. The ISO sensitivity is where you control the noise levels best.
I also use rawtherapee and gimp. Rawtherapee strips exif, no idea how to stop it!
J
06-14-2014, 10:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just did the basic RAW processing on those with RawTherapee, then opened them in GIMP to adjust the levels, a slight Gaussian blur adjustment, followed by mild sharpening. There may be better routines, but that worked fairly well this time.

06-14-2014, 12:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jethro10 Quote
Rawtherapee strips exif, no idea how to stop it!
J
Doesn't for me.
Using 4.1.1

---------- Post added 06-15-14 at 05:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TonyTurley Quote
I used ISO125. Some noise was still visible in the RAW files before I ever touched them. Still a head scratcher to me.
Yes, in fact you will often see much more noise in RAW than in-camera processed JPG because, well it's RAW

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 08-10-2014 at 10:12 PM.
06-14-2014, 06:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Doesn't for me.
Using 4.1.1
Time to update. I'm using 4.0.12.