Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2014, 03:48 PM   #1

02 Zoom not opening shutter - Help

I got my dad a Pentax Q for Father's day. There was a problem and the camera doesn't recognize the lens.
When I connect the lens to the camera there is black. I upgraded the firmware of both the camera and lens. The camera takes pictures when there is a a dummy lens in front of it.

When turn on the Camera the leaf shutter open then closes. If i jam the shutter release button a few dozen times I can get it to open again then the lens focuses no problem. after I take a picture it doesn't open again. I get the lens to open, take it off and when it goes on again it closes. "Priming" the lens to take a picture is very frustrating.

Is there a way to fix this?

06-16-2014, 11:10 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome frdo25 to the Q and this forum. Sorry dad is having bad luck with the Q. There are a few things you can try. Did you firmware update the Q body and the 02 lens? Many miss that Q lenses have their own firmware.

1. Clean lens contacts on Q body and lens.
2. Make sure lens is locked all the way on body.
3. Is the battery fresh? Do you have another to try?
4. Try a different memory card. Have heard of bad or fake cards causing problems.
5. Try a different lens to see i it is lens or camera.
6. Try factory reset.
7. Call Pentax.
Maybe others can think of more tips.
good luck
barondla
06-18-2014, 12:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
He did mention upgrading FW in both. Sounds like a faulty lens will need to be replaced, sorry.