Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2014, 03:55 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pro Dealers UK - Beware The Warranty

I have been informed by Park Cameras, who are a Pentax Pro Dealer in the UK, that the two year warranty only applies to Pentax dslr products.

My Pentax Q developed a fault and I thought it was covered by a two year warranty as I believed that was one of the advantages of a Pro Dealer. I now find out that neither they nor Pentax will cover a repair.

Some other Pentax Pro Dealers, such as SRS Microsystems, offer a two year warranty and believed that the two year warranty was backed by Pentax UK on all products. Pentax UK have been requested to clarify the situation several times but have so far declined to do so.

I am really disappointed by Park's attitude - I was told that the Pentax Q doesn't count as a professional product. Their website doesn't specifically mention the warranty terms on individual products. You will find better warranty terms on the same items with non Pro Dealers such as John Lewis, so the Pro Dealer label seems to hold little more value than a marketing gimmick to me, one that I fell for.

I am also very disappointed to find out the Pentax Q is covered in Europe for two years under European law but that Pentax disregard this for the UK market, a second rate service in my opinion and one which forces customers reluctantly into legal action.

My advice therefore is to think carefully about buying from Park Cameras and carefully check what seems like rather variable warranty terms with other dealers - male sure you have something in writing. SRS by the way have confirmed the two year warranty regardless of what Pentax UK say.

06-18-2014, 04:04 AM   #2
Pentaxian

That's crap.
Should be covered for more than 12 months by consumer law like here, in Australia. Expensive items such as digital cameras are expected to be free from fault and last for more than 12 months.
I'd certainly be pushing back.
06-18-2014, 04:15 AM   #3
Pentaxian

This is bull*hit. Electronic devices have 2 years of warranty in the EU, proffessional product or not.
06-18-2014, 04:40 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I agree with you guys and I certainly will be invoking the Sale Of Goods Act. But it is a shame that is the only resort. I would rather deal amicably with what I thought was a good dealer and with Pentax UK. It leaves a bad taste in the mouth. I own twenty something Pentax lenses and I don't like being treated like neither of them give a damn.

06-18-2014, 04:53 AM   #5
Pentaxian

[Ammunition refilled!]

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/shopping/shopping-abroad/guarantees/index_en.htm
06-18-2014, 05:30 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
This is bull*hit. Electronic devices have 2 years of warranty in the EU, proffessional product or not.
Yeah, but try explaining that to a store clerk..
Most stores still either don't know or pretend this doesn't exist. But you should definitely go for it
06-18-2014, 08:43 AM   #7
Pentaxian

The European Union legislation can set rules and guidelines, but the final law making is (still) done by the parlaments of the member countries. Usually the EU rules leave a small margin where the members may interpret differently (in conflicting cases the highest EU court will decide).

Usually the buyer has a contract with the selling shop, not with manufacturer. Whether Pentax supports promises made by the seller, is of no concern to the customer. An exception can exist if the manufacturer offers his own international warranty, in which case the smallprint should be studied (as the procedures needed to get hands on this may be complicated or unusual, and may not include steps taken by the seller).

It should also be mentioned that the standard warranty, at least in Germany, applies only for faults which have existed at the time of the purchase. Without a special contract offering better conditions than the law affords, the proof whether the fault existed at purchase time is first at the seller, but at some point in time (I think this is 6 months) changes over to the buyer, which in many cases will render the warranty useless.
06-18-2014, 10:59 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Can you "pay" for the repair on a credit card, then dispute the charge when the bill shows up? My experience is solely in the USA but my credit union (sort of like a non-profit bank) has been great help in such matters. UK law obviously differs.

Good luck resolving your warranty issue.

06-18-2014, 11:51 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
In the US, most stores will offer a 30 day to 90 day satisfaction guaranteed warranty which will cover replacement or reimbursement with either cash or store credit, after which the manufacturer is obligated to offer a warranty for one year, which generally covers repair or replacement. Of course, the obligatory warranty doesn't cover failure caused by damage. Both the seller/store and the manufacturer often offer extended warranties, for a price of course.
06-19-2014, 09:55 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CFWhitman Quote
In the US, most stores will offer a 30 day to 90 day satisfaction guaranteed warranty which will cover replacement or reimbursement with either cash or store credit, after which the manufacturer is obligated to offer a warranty for one year
Apologies to the OP for a minor thread derail. There's no minimum warranty in the US. Pentax Ricoh and other camera vendors can make their warranty as long or short as they want.
06-19-2014, 11:20 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Just as a simple question, but you may wish to check with pentax whether your camera was sold at the wholesale level for the UK market.

In the US there is an issue with what are called grey market products, which are distributed at the wholesale level to a different country, then brought into the US cheaply. The issue is that pentax US, or for that matter pentax anywhere will require that you have the international warranty, which is one year, otherwise they will not do service. This is an issue with every company, not just pentax, where warranty costs are intended to be funded out of each region, but when a camera shows up from out of region, then the region needs to recover those costs somewhere, after all, they are required to warrant what they sell, not what someone else in a different country sells.

It may be completely off base, but it is worth checking
06-20-2014, 01:02 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It was bought at a UK 'Pro Dealer'. These are retailers selected by Pentax to be worthy of that label. I and just about everyone else assumed that the two year Pro Dealer warranty applied to all Pentax products. It turns out that it does not. Park Cameras are a respectable dealer, it is out of the question that they would they sell grey imports.

It is ridiculous that you are worse off using a Pro Dealer.
06-21-2014, 01:04 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Apologies to the OP for a minor thread derail. There's no minimum warranty in the US. Pentax Ricoh and other camera vendors can make their warranty as long or short as they want.
Apparently, as I look back at the legislation, the one year warranty is just standard practice for consumer electronics manufacturers (that is, I can find several sources that state that the standard warranty period for electronics is one year, but no clear cut legislation which states that as a minimum period of time). Without a written warranty, the implied warranty would need to be four years in most places in the U.S. (though this is actually controlled by state law), but manufacturers can shorten it by putting a warranty in writing. They could make is less than a year, but that would make them look bad, so the generally don't.

Last edited by CFWhitman; 06-21-2014 at 01:16 PM.