Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2014, 04:05 AM   #1

please help lens question!

Hello does anyone now if I can use a canon cl vl af macro 8-120 mm 1:1.4-2.1 lens on the q and if they make a mount for it? I know its a video lens but have heard that it can also be used for photography. I've tried doing some research but can't seem to find anything. Your input is greatlyappreciated.Hereare the best pictures I could find

Canon Macro Zoom Interchangeable CL 8-120mm f/1.4-2.1 VL 15X AF Video Lens - eBay?????????? ?????

06-23-2014, 04:50 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That lens uses the Canon VL mount. The best you could hope for is a VL to C mount adapter, but any adapter would be very expensive.

There would also be no way to adjust the aperture. The VL mount, like the EF mount, is all electronic.
06-23-2014, 06:29 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
That lens uses the Canon VL mount. The best you could hope for is a VL to C mount adapter, but any adapter would be very expensive.

There would also be no way to adjust the aperture. The VL mount, like the EF mount, is all electronic.
Oh ok... is there any other lenses out there that have AF and will work with the Q beside its own lenses?
06-23-2014, 08:12 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by buly Quote
Oh ok... is there any other lenses out there that have AF and will work with the Q beside its own lenses?
Not that I have found or that have been noted on this forum, just native Q lenses can AF on a Q

06-23-2014, 01:08 PM   #5

Don't dismiss manual lenses.

I find manual focusing surprisingly easy with the Q; the focus peaking works really well.
06-23-2014, 06:36 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jens Lyn IV Quote
Don't dismiss manual lenses.

I find manual focusing surprisingly easy with the Q; the focus peaking works really well.
I have a couple manual lenses but they are all so zoomed in because of the crop 5.5 sensor....what does focus peaking do? Sorry but im new to this.lol
06-24-2014, 06:52 AM   #7

Focus peaking uses the camera's autofocusing subsystem to highlight areas of the image that the camera considers in-focus. On the screen, objects in focus will have their edges highlighted. Basically, the autofocusing system becomes a passive guidance system with lenses the camera cannot control. Works very well. You'll need the latest camera firmware if you don't have it already.
06-24-2014, 07:15 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Focus peaking highlights the areas that the contrast detection on the camera (the same mechanism the camera uses for auto-focus) sees as being the most in focus during manual focusing.

Edit: I got pulled away and didn't hit "post" on my reply until I got back, so Jens Lyn IV had already answered this question quite satisfactorily.