Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2014, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #1

Russian Cine 8mm movie Meteor 8M 9-38mm f/1.8 on Pentax Q

After much frustration, I succeeded in mounting Russian Cinema 8mm movie len Meteor-8M 9-38mm f/1.8 for Pentax Q using the body cap. I have 2 Meteor-8M, so I grafted lower end of one Meteor-8M and attached to another for cosmetic purpose. Also, I fully dissembled the len for clean up. The len has a total of 13 elements. One of the frustration of making Meteor-8M work is that it has shorter distance to sensor than regular D-len. Compounding the fact that it has a really small image circle to not making it vignette on Pentax Q. Most of my time wasted on adjusting image circle. Len is now fully work on Pentax Q close focus to infinity and does not vignette on Q. A very cinematic len in small package.

Sample shot. Taken at 38mm f/1.8

Taken at 9mm f/1.8

8mm Russian Cine Meteor 8M 9-38mm f/1.8 shot at f/1.8 on Pentax Q. Turn on Youtube's 1080p option.

10-13-2014, 02:24 PM   #2

Hello. Thanks for the info. I thought that this is a C-Mount lens though. Not the case? It is not the same lens with this one?
Thanks!
10-13-2014, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rafoarc Quote
Hello. Thanks for the info. I thought that this is a C-Mount lens though. Not the case? It is not the same lens with this one?
Thanks!
The len is not in C-mount nor D-mount. It is the same len as the one as in allphotolenses.com website, but the example len on that website is missing a REAR element. If you want to adapt this len, you have to buy an entire camera in order to get the rear element that is still inside the camera or make sure that the seller have a complete. For example, on ebay, this is a complete 8M meteor 70LN mm Zoom Lens Meteor 8M 1 1 8 9 38mm Quartz Camera s N 824591 | eBay
10-13-2014, 03:10 PM   #4

Thanks for the quick answer! Actually I was thinking to buy this one, which is also missing the element as I understand from what you say. Good thing that you are around :-)

10-13-2014, 03:40 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rafoarc Quote
Thanks for the quick answer! Actually I was thinking to buy this one, which is also missing the element as I understand from what you say. Good thing that you are around :-)
No problem. Enjoy it. Just stick a pentax Q body cap and you should be good to go. This zoom len is high resolution back in the days. Great len all-around.
10-14-2014, 10:44 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wonderful conversion job rendition. This lens creates a beautiful look to the image. May be my favorite of all the examples you have shared. Well done.
thanks
barondla

The Q is fun. Live with it!
10-15-2014, 10:50 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Wonderful conversion job rendition. This lens creates a beautiful look to the image. May be my favorite of all the examples you have shared. Well done.
thanks
barondla

The Q is fun. Live with it!
Thanks barondla !
11-24-2014, 01:37 PM   #8

Just bought a bolex k2 hoping to use lens on Q10 believe you have done mod and was trying to get info on how best to mod . Your help would be appreciated Derek.

11-24-2014, 03:08 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rendition Quote
After much frustration, I succeeded in mounting Russian Cinema 8mm movie len Meteor-8M 9-38mm f/1.8 for Pentax Q using the body cap. I have 2 Meteor-8M, so I grafted lower end of one Meteor-8M and attached to another for cosmetic purpose. Also, I fully dissembled the len for clean up. The len has a total of 13 elements. One of the frustration of making Meteor-8M work is that it has shorter distance to sensor than regular D-len. Compounding the fact that it has a really small image circle to not making it vignette on Pentax Q. Most of my time wasted on adjusting image circle. Len is now fully work on Pentax Q close focus to infinity and does not vignette on Q. A very cinematic len in small package.

8mm Russian Cine Meteor 8M 9-38mm f/1.8 shot at f/1.8 on Pentax Q. Turn on Youtube's 1080p option.
Meteor 8M 9-38mm f/1.8 on Pentax Q - YouTube
A picture of your lens as converted is what really help us to understand what you had to do.
11-26-2014, 05:51 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Curious,...
I was thinking a Q might make a nice B-Camera to my K-01.
That lens,... I think it needs disassembling and cleaning - Youtube makes it hard to tell, but it looks like it's got a soft patch in the middle at the wide end.
Were you using a lens hood or mattebox? If not, it may have been getting some light coming in sideways on the front element, or have some leakage in there somewhere.
Once zoomed in a bit, it did look better.
Does the Q suffer from the same low bitrate as the rest of our Pentax's ?
11-29-2014, 06:08 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
A picture of your lens as converted is what really help us to understand what you had to do.
Sure do. The len is in my closet but I will post picture of the mount eventually. It is pretty easy, just drill of a pentax Q body so that the hole fits the len mount and you should be fine. Make sure the wide focal length achieve infinity (a mm or 2mm differences in distance) and the rest of the focal should achieve infinity as well.
12-03-2014, 05:41 AM   #12

Hi, thanks for opening the thread on the meteor 8m, have you had the chance of taking a few pics of how you fitted the lens in the camera through the camera cap? That would be very useful, I'm struggling with the same issue Many thanks in advance. Best, Giorgio
12-07-2014, 03:24 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by rendition Quote

Sample shot. Taken at 38mm f/1.8

Taken at 9mm f/1.8

Meteor 8M 9-38mm f/1.8 on Pentax Q - YouTube
Neato! I love Russian lenses. How did you attach it?