Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2014, 04:09 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pentax should provide hoods with their lenses

That simple really. Q system lenses are not cheap. At the very least, they should provide a hood, because these lenses need them. I bought a couple of aftermarket hoods for the 02 and 06, which greatly reduce flare and improve micro contrast. It's a big difference. Photos can go from kinda hazy looking to tack sharp. If you've thought about getting one, I'd do it, but I don't understand why Pentax doesn't provide the 5 cent part to begin with. Sure it makes them more money charging a premium, but these lenses need a hood, and their APS-C lenses all come with hoods, why not the Q lenses?

07-01-2014, 04:58 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was wondering the same thing. Add to this list of lenses the 08 wide angle zoom

Where did you get your hoods
07-01-2014, 05:33 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
That simple really. and their APS-C lenses all come with hoods, why not the Q lenses?
I totally agree, but a few of the APS-C lenses don't include hoods either, it's not just the Q. If you go to the Ricoh imaging website, the specs for each lens lists the "optional" hood. An example is the 02 lens uses a PH-SBA hood, which you can buy on the Ricoh/Pentax website for $40US or search ebay and find a knockoff for as low as $10US. I don't think a hood is ever "optional".
07-01-2014, 05:42 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think you'll get any arguments from anyone here. I have purchased lens hoods for both of my Q lenses.

07-01-2014, 06:48 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Am I remembering wrong or did the they include a hood with the early 06s? I had two of them and I was certain that a hood was in the box. I know I bought at least one of them new from a dealer.
07-01-2014, 09:09 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I was wondering the same thing. Add to this list of lenses the 08 wide angle zoom

Where did you get your hoods
ebay

uWinKa for the 02 @ 9 USD , and a JJC for the 06 @ 13 USD Cheaper than the Pentax, but kinda high for imports. Screw mount would probably be cheaper, but I wanted the reverse bayonet to store them.
07-01-2014, 10:23 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

JJC are flimsier than the OEM if that matters to you but quite functional.
07-01-2014, 04:55 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
ebay

uWinKa for the 02 @ 9 USD , and a JJC for the 06 @ 13 USD Cheaper than the Pentax, but kinda high for imports. Screw mount would probably be cheaper, but I wanted the reverse bayonet to store them.
+1 for the uWinka. I have one on my 02 lens. It mounts backwards for storage.