Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
07-03-2014, 10:58 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
New Q serial camera on the way. Maybe...

The other day I stepped into Austin Camera & Imaging store and talked with Matt, the owner. He mentioned a new Q camera body was on the way.
I wonder what kind of upgrading the new Q(5?) can have? larger sensor? probably not. What else can pentax put on Q7 to make a even better camera? put the q7 back to original Q's body?
We have to wait and see.

07-03-2014, 12:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Shouldn't this be in the Rumours section?

IMHO there's nothing useful to add to the Q body now except more lenses.
07-03-2014, 02:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

more speed, and bigger buffer ? probably an optional EVF ?
07-03-2014, 02:23 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
probably an optional EV
+1. Or even better: built-in EVF like NEX.

07-03-2014, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Bringing such a tiny camera body up to the eye seems ridiculous
How often have you felt you needed to with the Q?
Having a built-in and/or flipup EVF will make the body larger, which I'm sure Pentax don't want as the diminutive size is one of it's major features.
07-03-2014, 02:34 PM   #6

APS-C format?
07-03-2014, 02:38 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
The other day I stepped into Austin Camera & Imaging store and talked with Matt, the owner. He mentioned a new Q camera body was on the way.
I wonder what kind of upgrading the new Q(5?) can have? larger sensor? probably not. What else can pentax put on Q7 to make a even better camera? put the q7 back to original Q's body?
We have to wait and see.
The Q lineup is badly in need of an LCD upgrade. A 460k-dot (half-VGA) monitor and no EVF is behind the times for a mirrorless.

So I would expect that and perhaps a faster CPU to bring the Q closer to the performance of something like a Nikon 1 camera.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-03-2014, 03:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Improved low-light performance never hurts.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
So I would expect that and perhaps a faster CPU to bring the Q closer to the performance of something like a Nikon 1 camera.
Good example; Nikon's found a number of places a smaller ILC can be made to outperform a DSLR. For example, how's 20 fps?
07-03-2014, 03:39 PM - 4 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

<small rant>
More, bigger, faster, better, sharper... When will it ever end!?
Does it mean your 'photography' is better?
This incessant desire for more of everything is the nonsense that we've been fed by marketting departments since they discovered consumers can be so easily manipulated by the promise of 'more/bigger/better/faster/sharper' .. I get so sick of it I really do.
</small rant>
07-03-2014, 03:44 PM - 6 Likes   #10
Veteran Member

<small rant>
More, bigger, faster, better, sharper... When will it ever end!?
Does it mean your 'photography' is better?
This incessant desire for more of everything is the nonsense that we've been fed by marketting departments since they discovered consumers can be so easily manipulated by the promise of 'more/bigger/better/faster/sharper' .. I get so sick of it I really do.
</small rant>
Good point - I'm making this post on my IBM XT. Once I got the turbo boost to 8MHz and the 640KB RAM it's been ready to tackle anything.
07-03-2014, 03:53 PM   #11
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think lenses should be a priority, but I think there is a lot of room for improvement with the Q7.
- The sensor is good but at least two years old. It isn't unreasonable to expect an upgraded sensor soon.
- The LCD on the Q7 is low resolution and not as good in daylight as the so-called 'white magic' screens that have been on cameras like the GRD4 and Sony RX100 for a while now.
- The battery life is not great. A higher capacity battery would be good.
- I know that many prefer the build and look of the original Q, so they could go back to a metal frame.
- It has no option to add an EVF. I don't understand this. Why wouldn't Pentax want to sell an extra accessory like that? Ricoh has made EVFs for their GX cameras before.
- Wi-Fi is becoming standard on competing cameras. They have a mobile tethering app now, so I think they should extend it to as many of their cameras as possible.

But I think your point about the Q needing to be small is very important. They have to strike the right balance between features and size.
07-03-2014, 05:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Good point - I'm making this post on my IBM XT. Once I got the turbo boost to 8MHz and the 640KB RAM it's been ready to tackle anything.
Sarcasm is strong in this one :P

But that's not even an appropriate analogy, really. But I guess you don't just like the valid opinions of others when they don't adhere to you own so needed something to come back with? Oh well.

QuoteQuote:
- The battery life is not great. A higher capacity battery would be good.
Until battery technology changes, this will increase the body size of the Q because the battery will need to be bigger. I don't think anyone wants the Q to become larger, I wouldn't anyway.
Currently batteries are small enough to carry a couple extras in your pocket and take seconds to swap out.
(Or maybe some people will want a battery grip for the Q )

QuoteQuote:
- Wi-Fi is becoming standard on competing cameras.
But apparently not for Pentax. Even their flagship doesn't have it built-in but instead relies on the FLU card. I would assume that as they already have the Pentax FLU they will add firmware compatibility to other bodies, possibly the next Q, would make sense.
Personally I have no use for WiFi in a camera, to me it's a gimmick which has no real advantages, but that's just me - I'm sure others must find some good use for it.

I think the Q is perfect as it is - this continuous upgrade path is just commerce and bragging rights for the adopters. Nothing wrong with an older model if it still takes good photos, and all Q's allow us to do so. OK I hear the term "there's always room for improvement", I get that, humans are never satisfied and always find something wrong with what they have and think a new version will solve that, human nature? I just think the energy is misplaced.

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 07-03-2014 at 05:21 PM.
07-03-2014, 05:56 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
how about WR?
07-03-2014, 06:01 PM   #14
Veteran Member

The irony in your statement is that they've actually just completed their lens lineup with the 08 lens.

Well, they need to improve upon the IQ of the 02. And I'm open to myriad other possibilities that could be useful. But they actually have a complete kit now.

But that's not even an appropriate analogy, really. But I guess you don't just like the valid opinions of others when they don't adhere to you own so needed something to come back with? Oh well.
I don't know what's wrong with my analogy. You know I actually could have made that post on an IBM XT, had Pentax Forums allowed it in their configuration (I doubt they do). But I wouldn't be able to view your beautiful photos, or anyone else's. And I'd' give up so many other capabilities we've taken for granted for years. In fact, you wouldn't even be able to grump as effectively without them.

iPhones keep getting thinner because the non-battery components become more compact (through a lot of hard design work). And WiFi's been essential to me for a couple of years. Now leave me alone while I drive through Death Valley in my Volkswagen Type 1.
07-03-2014, 06:05 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Then pentax needs to upgrade their lenses to match the WR body.