Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2014, 06:17 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
Then pentax needs to upgrade their lenses to match the WR body.
Voila! There you go Steve - a way to get back on the upgrade treadmill. Perhaps this one is unnecessary (although I'm sure some really want this, and others would say "why stop there - make it submersible!"). But there's got to be something you'd find useful - at least once you had the feature.

07-03-2014, 06:45 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Q could definetly use a higher resolution screen to make manual focusing adapted lenses easier. This is important when there is no other way to view. Might reduce battery life.

The Q needs a larger buffer. Very hard to shoot Q/Q10 in Raw. Three shots clog the buffer. Think the Q7 improved this some.

Would love the Flu card to work with Q, and to have a metal body. Throw in higher res lcd and larger buffr and I am excited. Would buy it quickly.

Could see Q gaining weather proofing in the future. All the other Pentax ilc's are weather proof. This would fit in with the over all Pentax image. Redesigning all lenses is a stretch. What of the Toy lenses?

Interesting times
barondla
07-03-2014, 06:54 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Could see Q gaining weather proofing in the future. All the other Pentax ilc's are weather proof. This would fit in with the over all Pentax image. Redesigning all lenses is a stretch. What of the Toy lenses?
They first need to make an 02 replacement with WR, and bundle it with the camera. Then somehow add WR to the 01, 06, an 08. Then make the next body WR. Then they're done.
07-03-2014, 08:37 PM   #19
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Perhaps it's true that some people get obsessed about upgrading their gear at the expense of improving their photography skills, but that's no reason for Pentax to stop updating their cameras with better technology. They have to, otherwise their cameras will become uncompetitive.

I think the kit lens should be replaced by two models: a collapsible version of the current one and a premium one that is faster than cameras like the MX-1. At present, the Q is vulnerable to criticisms that premium compacts outperform it, while larger sensor ILCs have shorter kit lenses.

Flu card is interesting, because to use it with most cameras would take up the only card slot. It makes me think that it will be integrated into the body pretty soon.

07-03-2014, 09:51 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
They first need to make an 02 replacement with WR, and bundle it with the camera. Then somehow add WR to the 01, 06, an 08. Then make the next body WR. Then they're done.
Not even sure the 01 exists as a curret product. Not in kits anymore, and very hard to order by itself. The exception might be Japan. The 02 adds about $20 to the Q7 kit. Is that a sneaky way to close out the 02? Only Pentax knows.
thanks
barondla
07-04-2014, 03:46 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Flu card is interesting, because to use it with most cameras would take up the only card slot.
And the problem with that would be what exactly? 16 Gb not enough storage for a Q shooter?
07-04-2014, 04:36 AM   #22

Voila! There you go Steve - a way to get back on the upgrade treadmill.
I don't understand this stance of yours throughout the thread. What is wrong with someone, if they can afford it, wanting to buy something with more or better features?

I for one would like a better screen, tiltable and the option for an EVF.
Oh, and all the other lenses to be colour coded to my yellow Q7 like the 02 is.

EDIT: and add on Phase detection, my wife's Sony a6000 is incredibly quick to focus and still quite a small camera
Make the front knob have 4 positions for storing a complete setup rather than for (primarily) switching effects, it would probably take more memory?

J

07-04-2014, 04:43 AM   #23
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
And the problem with that would be what exactly? 16 Gb not enough storage for a Q shooter?
Well, you can't use any of your existing cards without losing the wi-fi functionality. Also you can't choose your preferred speed, capacity or brand and keep Wi-Fi. If you went on holiday and did a lot of shooting, you could conceivably fill the card, although admittedly you probably wouldn't care so much about connecting to Wi-Fi in that case. None of the competition impose those limitations.

Last edited by JPT; 07-04-2014 at 05:44 AM.
07-04-2014, 04:49 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Well, you can't use any of your existing cards without losing the wi-fi functionality. Also you can't choose your preferred speed, capacity or brand and keep Wi-Fi. If you went on holiday and did a lot of shooting, you could conceivably fill the card, although admittedly you probably would care so much about connecting to Wi-Fi in that case. None of the competition impose those limitations.
When on holiday I use a smaller card, one for every day, then if one fails, I get to keep a lot of Photo's
Travelling abroad with all the cost that takes, to risk loosing all my photo's on one wifi enabled card seems silly to me. At least if I break/loose one now, I have many nice memories left. Single point of failure should be avoided if possibly for any situation - and this one is easy/cheap to solve.

I use one of these to get round my lack of WiFi and it's also a handy battery for charging my devices.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/EasyAcc%C2%AE-Portable-Repeater-PowerBank-Smartphone...h+wifi+easyacc

J
07-04-2014, 05:30 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Lots of great ideas here. More lenses, latest generation of sensor and LCD, maybe an EVF. improved focus peaking.. and the last two generations of the Q had the same body, so maybe its time for an update in that regard, too. WR would be an awesome bonus.
07-04-2014, 06:48 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The irony in your statement is that they've actually just completed their lens lineup with the 08 lens.
Hope they haven't completed their lens lineup. We still don't have the promised macro lens. Many Qusers still want some FAST primes. Especially the wide angle one. I would love a pancake lens to make the Q more pocketable. Pentax is throwing away Q potential, if they don't bring out a tele bigger than the 06! What other system stops with a 200mm equivalent lens? A fast 45-135 would be so awesome with af.

It is time for Pentax to bring out a second Q-PK lens adapter. This one with AF. Adapter could hold extra battery power to make it work. Nikon did it with the N1 system. The first Nikon I have looked at with interest. Please Pentax. Would pay $500-600 for this adapter.
thanks
barondla
07-04-2014, 07:23 AM   #27
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Not even sure the 01 exists as a curret product. Not in kits anymore, and very hard to order by itself. The exception might be Japan. The 02 adds about $20 to the Q7 kit. Is that a sneaky way to close out the 02? Only Pentax knows.
thanks
barondla
The 01 is definitely available as a standalone product in Japan. It costs 13,000-15,000 yen online. It is also available as part of the recent limited edition kits, including a neat black version with a black hood.
Q7 ??????????[3???]: ??????? | RICOH IMAGING
07-04-2014, 08:54 AM   #28
Inactive Account

Since I use my Q almost exclusively with the 03 and (other shutter-less) adapted lenses, a faster that 1/13 readout - flash sync speed is what I'd like to see.
I DO wish somebody would make a simple U/W housing for it too!
07-04-2014, 09:17 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by digital029art Quote
Since I use my Q almost exclusively with the 03 and (other shutter-less) adapted lenses, a faster that 1/13 readout - flash sync speed is what I'd like to see.
I DO wish somebody would make a simple U/W housing for it too!
The Q10 upped this to 1/30. Makes me wonder if that was due to a different sensor or something else? Q7 returned to 1/13. Would love this to be higher on next Q. Also extend it below 2 sconds.
thanks
barondla
07-04-2014, 09:24 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I had the original Q and the 01, 02 and 06 lenses. I really did like the kit but I sold it after I realized the Q was never going to be my first choice when reachIng for one of my cameras. I still have my Q OVF (which I use on my K-01 and GR) and my Q-to-K mount adaptor. I'm hanging onto it at least until the next Q comes out, just in case.

And here's what could bring me back into the Q fold: built-in EVF, high-resolution rear LCD, faster CPU and larger buffer. WR and bringing back the magnesium body would be big bonuses as well.

But competition for the next Q will be tougher than ever. The Nikon 1 may be its only direct competitor. But cameras like the Sony RX100 III and the forthcoming Panasonic LX8, while not featuring interchangeable lenses, offer fast lenses, superior image quality and the convenience of pocketability.