Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2014, 12:33 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
The link still returns an error, maybe because I'm in Canada? If I use the keywords to search I only get the Cirrus, is it the same?
Just do a search on eBay for jinfinance. Go to their store and search for Pentax Adapter Q.

07-11-2014, 12:59 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Just do a search on eBay for jinfinance. Go to their store and search for Pentax Adapter Q.
Done that. something must be going on, what I get is this, with no adapter:

adapter rings step rings, large format eBay Boutiques | RJ camera accessory store

When searching from eBay, their store appears empty. When searching from google, their store has two pages of items, but no adapter. I contacted them, we'll see what's going on.
07-11-2014, 02:14 PM   #18
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is the aperture adjustable one I use.:FREE SHIPPING KIWIFOTOS Mount Adapter For PENTAX K PK LENS TO PENTAX Q Q10 PQ CAMERA APERTURE-in Lens Adapter from Electronics on Aliexpress.com
07-11-2014, 05:24 PM   #19
Pentaxian

The link is back to working here.

The previous question hasn't been answered. Apart from flash at high-speed, what's the gain of having the leaf shutter?

07-11-2014, 05:53 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The link is back to working here.

The previous question hasn't been answered. Apart from flash at high-speed, what's the gain of having the leaf shutter?
At speeds of less than 1/2000s the electronic shutter can suffer from rolling shutter artifacts. The leaf shutter avoids these while still allowing the advantages of an electronic shutter (speeds above 1/2000s).
07-11-2014, 06:10 PM   #21
Veteran Member

At speeds of less than 1/2000s the electronic shutter can suffer from rolling shutter artifacts. The leaf shutter avoids these while still allowing the advantages of an electronic shutter (speeds above 1/2000s).
And this will be more obvious with longer lenses (100mm +) which is more than likely gonna happen with an adapted lens. However, I never experienced any problem with the infamous jello effect so far and my most used lens on my Q is a 135. It will depend on what you shoot I guess.

A side note, with my no-name adapter the Q will not fire the hot shoe at all, no matter what the shutter speed is or mode I use.
07-11-2014, 09:40 PM   #22
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
A side note, with my no-name adapter the Q will not fire the hot shoe at all, no matter what the shutter speed is or mode I use
That is the most annoying thing about the Q -- A perfect closeup / maco camera and I can't use my ring flash on it.

07-14-2014, 09:53 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
A side note, with my no-name adapter the Q will not fire the hot shoe at all, no matter what the shutter speed is or mode I use.
Check this thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/159246-definitive-manual-ext...-guidance.html
07-14-2014, 10:00 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Since most (all?) compact cameras lack a shutter, I assume they can suffer from this effect too?
07-14-2014, 10:25 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Since most (all?) compact cameras lack a shutter, I assume they can suffer from this effect too?
All cameras that use a CMOS sensor can suffer from this effect, particularly when shooting video. Just Google Rolling Shutter Jello...
07-14-2014, 10:49 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Check this thread Definitive manual external flash guidance
As the guide says (edit at the bottom) while a non-Q lens is attached and a manual flash, the flash will not fire, no matter what
07-14-2014, 12:28 PM   #27
Pentaxian

All cameras that use a CMOS sensor can suffer from this effect, particularly when shooting video. Just Google Rolling Shutter Jello...
In fact a CMOS should be better, since all pixels are read at once, opposed to a CCD whose pixels are read line by line.
07-14-2014, 01:46 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In fact a CMOS should be better, since all pixels are read at once, opposed to a CCD whose pixels are read line by line.
But CCDs use a global shutter.

QuoteQuote:
CCDs (charge-coupled devices) are alternatives to CMOS sensors. CCDs utilize what is referred to as global shutters, which take a snapshot representing a single point of time and therefore do not suffer from these motion artifacts.
07-15-2014, 06:03 AM   #29
Pentaxian

But CCDs use a global shutter.
I'd like to know where that quote comes from to better understand what it means.

A CCD or CMOS takes advantage of the photoelectric effect to measure light. That physical phenomenon earned Einstein his Nobel prize and it's a phenomenon that will occur whether you like it or not. You cannot "turn off" the photoelectric effect on the pixel surface. What you can do is prevent the light from reaching the CCD, with a shutter of any form you want.

The only way to understand that quote for me, out of context, is to guess that it refers to an amplified CCD. when you turn off the amplification the current generated will be, in comparison, very small, doing the same effect as a shutter would. With some intensified CCDs, using electron tubes and a phosphor plate, you can even reverse the polarity and prevent the electrons from traveling the tube. But that's a completely different type of CCD.
07-15-2014, 06:37 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd like to know where that quote comes from to better understand what it means.

A CCD or CMOS takes advantage of the photoelectric effect to measure light. That physical phenomenon earned Einstein his Nobel prize and it's a phenomenon that will occur whether you like it or not. You cannot "turn off" the photoelectric effect on the pixel surface. What you can do is prevent the light from reaching the CCD, with a shutter of any form you want.

The only way to understand that quote for me, out of context, is to guess that it refers to an amplified CCD. when you turn off the amplification the current generated will be, in comparison, very small, doing the same effect as a shutter would. With some intensified CCDs, using electron tubes and a phosphor plate, you can even reverse the polarity and prevent the electrons from traveling the tube. But that's a completely different type of CCD.
Try this...

Rolling shutter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and this...

Key differences between rolling shutter and frame (global) shutter.

How does a Global Shutter Work? | digitalbolex.com

Global & Rolling Shutters