Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2014, 08:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Fisheye 03 lens on Q vs. Q7

How does the 03 lens perform on a Q7 with the larger sensor? Does the image circle cover the entire sensor or do I lose resolution due to some sort of cropping done in the camera (i.e. down from 12 MP to 10MP)?

Thanks!

07-07-2014, 08:39 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
How does the 03 lens perform on a Q7 with the larger sensor? Does the image circle cover the entire sensor or do I lose resolution due to some sort of cropping done in the camera (i.e. down from 12 MP to 10MP)?

Thanks!
Isn't this one of the lenses that works in a cropped mode?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-08-2014, 06:34 AM   #3

Yes, it gets cropped, but not as much as it does on the smaller sensor. So you do lose some pixels, but you also gain a little coverage. If you care to process the DNG file with software that lets you ignore the predetermined crop and grab the whole image (like Raw Therapee), then you can decide how much you want to crop it yourself.
07-08-2014, 06:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CFWhitman Quote
Yes, it gets cropped, but not as much as it does on the smaller sensor. So you do lose some pixels, but you also gain a little coverage. If you care to process the DNG file with software that lets you ignore the predetermined crop and grab the whole image (like Raw Therapee), then you can decide how much you want to crop it yourself.

Nice! So can you actually see the vignetting/cropping in the corners when using RawTherapee?

07-09-2014, 02:08 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Nice! So can you actually see the vignetting/cropping in the corners when using RawTherapee?
Yes, although as I look back it still doesn't show quite every pixel. This is the post that I got the information from:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/227557-share-your-shots-03-f...ml#post2534609
You can see that the corners are actually black in the resulting image if you don't crop it.