Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2014, 10:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Anyone compared Q to older DSLRs?

I read this article. Smartphones vs DSLr vs film - probably someone from these forums had a link. In short the quality of smartphone cameras appears competitive to older DSLRs (all kinds of caveats I won't get into).

So given that the Q series provide all the benefits of interchangeable lenses, external flash etc I thought it would be interesting how many generations of Pentax DSLR cameras you have to go back before the IQ of the Q (!) are similar? K-x (12mb pixels aka Q - probably not)? K200 (10mb pixels)? *ist (6 mb pixels)? No comparison? I understand the Depth of Field difference is just a given, but sharpness and low light performance certainly can be direct compared, similar to the article above.

I myself will try and compare some old k-x pictures (my first Pentax DSLR) with similar Q10 pictures of the same subject. Can't image the k-x is not much better. However, if the article above is reasonably correct, the Q might do very well against a k-200?

Thoughts? Or better, pictures, anyone?

07-09-2014, 11:07 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But an image is more than just high ISO noise and sharpness. The thing is that DSLRs are good at recording tonality and contrasts. A good ol' K200D with its CCD sensor will take great photos. This is why its hard to compare cameras. You need to make tests for specific things, like high ISO performance, dynamic range, features (remember that even "live view" is a relatively new invention) and so on. The Q can beat older DSLRs at some of these things, but not in others.
07-09-2014, 12:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
But an image is more than just high ISO noise and sharpness.
Couldn't agree more. Maybe I did not come across that way, but I have no illusion that this is apples and oranges.

Still...

Last edited by HenrikDK; 07-09-2014 at 12:44 PM.
07-10-2014, 08:15 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think that my Q7 can compare in overall image quality to my earliest DSLR (a 6MP Canon Rebel XT). However, as mentioned by others, that doesn't include every individual aspect of image quality. There are still some things the Canon, and especially my Pentax K10D, did better.

07-10-2014, 08:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yep... I have. The 6.1MP Pentax *ist DS has somewhat better general IQ than a Q. The K-x is of course, much better yet.

That said, the Q is still a terrific little camera capable of taking great pictures. I love my Q and use it at least as much as my K-x bodies.
07-10-2014, 08:28 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the big issue with smaller sensored cameras is what lenses are available. The sensors can be great, but it just gets kind of tough to make a 5mm lens that has great bokeh, etc that we expect from glass for larger formats.