Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2014, 07:40 PM   #1

Pentax Q Black Kit?

Hi!

I had an old dslr that I never used because of it's size. I gave it away. :[ So I'm considering getting the Pentax Q (Amazon.com : Pentax Q Black Kit w/ 02 Standard Zoom Lens : Compact System Digital Cameras : Camera & Photo). I'm still new-ish to photography and would like to capture moments without planning ahead so I thought the Q might be a good (re)starter camera because of the size. Is this a good camera? Will I be able to take decent to good pictures with it? I've been using a smartphone camera lately but is it worth the upgrade? How will this compare to a beginner full sized dslr? Anything else I should know before pulling the trigger?
Thanks!
jjj

07-09-2014, 08:20 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
The Q is great but considering all you said perhaps an advanced point and shoot might be as good or better idea for you
07-09-2014, 11:01 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

If you don't want to plan ahead, then you don't want a camera where you have to think about the lens you need to fit to it.
Look for a deal on the MX-1. That will give you superb IQ and the feel of a high quality camera in your hand. The tilting screen is also a great feature.
07-10-2014, 04:25 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well that is the original Q, it is the oldest version so it isn't quite on the same level as the latest one, Q7. You can find the Q10 for lower prices than the original Q, and the main difference is in the appearance (though, I have to say, I think the original Q looks better than the Q7 and Q10. And it has a tougher body.)
Anyway, the thing with Q is that it is a camera system. It is designed so the photographer has more than one lens and exchanges them to get the photos they want. The lenses are small, so you can always carry around a couple of them, but it is not as "convenient" as just buying a bridge camera with a superzoom.
So I would say the Q is a great camera, with interesting lenses and IQ that is very good for a camera of that size. But you have to decide based on features that you want. If you don't want interchangeable lenses, then don't get the Q. If you like interchangeable lenses on a small camera, you should go for it
On the other hand, that camera is now going for under $200, so even if you buy it and decide to sell it off, you don't lose much.

07-12-2014, 04:29 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by junjaejae Quote
Hi!
How will this compare to a beginner full sized dslr? Anything else I should know before pulling the trigger?
Thanks!
jjj
Just so you know it will not compare with a beginner DSLR in image quality but it will allow you do do things you can't with a P&S or phone camera. The Q system can be a entry camera and operate like a Point and shoot if you leave the 02 lens on and leave it in auto mode. Then later it will give you the control options to get creative