Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2014, 03:37 AM   #1

08 focusing problem

Hi, I'm the owner of a Q7 premium kit and I have a problem with the 08 lens. It has worked without problem a few times but now it won't autofocus and when I turn the focus ring nothing happens. Do you have any advice? Do you think I have to send back my lens to Pentax?

07-10-2014, 04:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you experience this problem with any other lens?
Take the lens off of the camera. Can you zoom it? Does the focus ring turn smoothly in both directions at all focal lengths? Does it make any odd sounds?
07-10-2014, 04:57 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

+1 on Na Horuk. Also consider that the lens may not be mounted properly. Take it off and do as Na Horuk suggests. Remount. If it still does not focus take it off again and carefully clean the contacts with a microfiber cloth and remount. Be very careful not to touch or get dust on the sensor. It is still does not work you should send it to Pentax.
07-10-2014, 01:45 PM   #4

Original Poster
No problem at all with 01, 02, and 06. I've tried to clean the contacts with no success. The zoom ring works perfectly and the focus ring turns without problem. Looks like the internal focusing motor doesn't work anymore. I also use Nikon gear, and I'm a bit disappointed by Pentax build quality. But the image quality is impressive for such a small system.

07-11-2014, 12:07 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by morane_j Quote
No problem at all with 01, 02, and 06. I've tried to clean the contacts with no success. The zoom ring works perfectly and the focus ring turns without problem. Looks like the internal focusing motor doesn't work anymore. I also use Nikon gear, and I'm a bit disappointed by Pentax build quality. But the image quality is impressive for such a small system.
Yeah I'd have to agree with you on the build quality of the Q lenses - definitely not up to the usual standards of their DSLR lenses, even the cheap ones. Perhaps there's something more difficult with lenses this small, but I've had the pleasure of using their Limited series prime lenses, and the Q lenses aren't even close. But I love the size and the images it makes...

Sorry to hear about your lens - hope it gets resolved fairly and quickly.
07-11-2014, 09:01 AM   #6

Don't judge Pentax build quality in general by the lenses for the Q system. Pentax APS-C cameras and lenses compare favorably with Canon and Nikon. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the build quality on Pentax APS-C cameras is better than what you get on competing ones. This may be because they don't make a 35mm sensor camera to be their top of the line model. Pentax lenses are similar in build quality to Nikon and Canon ones. This ranges from the relatively cheap kit lens (which seems better than the Canon kit lens I'm familiar with; I'm not familiar with the Nikon one) to expensive "Limited" lenses.

Edit: Incidentally, I too was a bit surprised by the 'chintzy' feel of the lenses for the Q, even though I had been warned by forum posts. I have not, however, had any problems with them. I suspect that they wanted the lenses to be lightweight, and it's possible that they feel worse than they actually are. I won't really know till I've had them for a while.

Last edited by CFWhitman; 07-11-2014 at 09:11 AM.
07-11-2014, 09:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, when I held entry level DSLRs they all felt much less sturdy than the entry Pentax DSLRs. Even the budget primes are quite solid, much more solid than budget lenses from other manufacturers.
But with the Q system, small size and low weight have a much higher priority (even though Pentax DSLRs and lenses are compact, too), so the camera and lenses don't feel as "concrete." I haven't seen many posts about people actually having problems with the build of the lenses, though, except maybe focus rings being a little fiddly on some lenses

Hope you get it all sorted out, the 08 is a really interesting lens. And feel free to maybe post some photos on the forums

07-12-2014, 11:36 PM   #8
Forum Member

I got a doa 06 zoom once that wouldn't auto focus or function at all. Returned it and won't be buying another 06 till the price comes down a bit.
07-13-2014, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got an 08 last week. When I put it on my q7 it exhibited the same problem. I also tried it on my updated q -no dice.
I put it in the box to send back, determined not to get another. I set up the return with Adorama then went to take a nap.
When I awoke I decided to put it back on my q7 one more time and voila, it worked and has worked ever since. I love it
more than I ever thought I would and would not consider returning it. Keep in mind that I also have a k3 with a Sigma 10-20.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
07-13-2014, 03:15 PM   #10

Original Poster
I’ve tried several times the 08 on my Q7. I've been able to make it refocusing a few times, but now I'm unable to focus. This lens is definitely broken I think. For a lens bought just a month ago, I'm very disappointed, and I'm more because I really love this lens with the Q7. And if I'm not the only one that has problems with this lens, Pentax may have a big problem here. And at that price I think it's not acceptable. I'm currently on vacation, but as soon as I will be back I will send this lens to Pentax to fix it.
For the comparison with Nikon, yesterday was a sad day, the VR system of my main Nikon lens died... after 9 years travelling all around the world. But the lens is still usable. My 08 broke after 1 month of light use, and is no more usable. MY opinion about build quality of Pentax products is not very good. Maybe my opinion will change. But first I have to test after sales services
07-13-2014, 08:43 PM   #11
Veteran Member

MY opinion about build quality of Pentax products is not very good.
Gee, don't judge all Pentax product build quality on one experience with one lens, that's really unfair of you.
Bad luck for sure, but you need much more experience to make such a sweeping statement.
I had an 06 that failed after a week. Pentax sent me replacement right away, even before I sent the faulty one back. It's been fine ever since. As others have said, Pentax gear is solid and built to high standards.
My guess is that as the Q lenses are quite complex, electronically as well as really tiny components, there's bound to be some duds occasionally. These are the smallest interchangeable lenses made by anyone as far as I know, so don't be so quick to judge.
07-13-2014, 09:50 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’ve tried several times the 08 on my Q7. I've been able to make it refocusing a few times, but now I'm unable to focus. This lens is definitely broken I think. For a lens bought just a month ago, I'm very disappointed, and I'm more because I really love this lens with the Q7. And if I'm not the only one that has problems with this lens, Pentax may have a big problem here. And at that price I think it's not acceptable. I'm currently on vacation, but as soon as I will be back I will send this lens to Pentax to fix it.
For the comparison with Nikon, yesterday was a sad day, the VR system of my main Nikon lens died... after 9 years travelling all around the world. But the lens is still usable. My 08 broke after 1 month of light use, and is no more usable. MY opinion about build quality of Pentax products is not very good. Maybe my opinion will change. But first I have to test after sales services
If stories like yours were common, I would never buy that lens, particularly one that's as expensive as this! I waited for half a year before buying mine and had not heard of someone having an issue with the lens. Rather, all the reports I heard about said that the image quality was really good and I've been very happy with mine.

I'm sure it's frustrating to have something that does not work as it should, but I wouldn't jump to conclusions that this is indicative of that lens or Pentax in general. I've been using Pentax for a handful of years now and read a lot on internet forums - I would not be with Pentax if I thought there were reliability issues that were greater than others. Of course this isn't to say that Pentax is perfect, but can you name any product that is?
07-14-2014, 11:14 AM   #13

Original Poster
Ok I will stop talking about Pentax quality as this subject seems sensitive for some people.
Once my lens will be repaired I will tell you how my case has been dealt by Pentax. But for the time being, I can garantee you that some pictures taken by 08 are very beautiful, the IQ of Q7 and 08 is astonishing
08-30-2014, 04:37 AM   #14

Original Poster
I'm back on this subject.
I have send my 08 lens to Pentax for a repair of the autofocus.
I have just received a parcel yesterday with a brand new lens form Pentax, after 3 weeks, which is very fast, considering that here in France it's the holiday season (almost nobody works in August in France)
I have to say that I'm very pleased with the service provided by Pentax.
Here is the last picture taken with my old 08 before the AF died. A bit postprocess in Lightroom. Despite that my lens broke, it's an amazing lens
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 

Last edited by morane_j; 08-30-2014 at 05:10 AM.
08-30-2014, 05:38 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Ok I will stop talking about Pentax quality as this subject seems sensitive for some people.
My 06 died in exactly the same way after a few months of rather heavy use. Bought a new one from Japan (eBay) rather than spending time on finding out what the issue is.