Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-10-2014, 11:01 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Q10 worth picking up?

Hello everyone,

I love my K-7 to pieces, with many lens combinations, but I particularly love it with my DA 55-300. However, when we travel, it can be a bulky camera to carry, particularly to our favorite vacation spot, Disneyland, where you ride rides and I have to constantly worry about what to do with it. I briefly had a K-01, but in the end it was no less bulky than my K-7 and I hated the lack of VF. (I realize the Q does not have one either. However, I see lots of mods adding one via the hot shoe).

So, now that the Q has a nice ranged zoom (06), and the Q10 is experiencing a really good price point at the moment, I am giving serious thought to picking it up. I dislike the limitations of P&S cameras, so I love the idea of interchangeable lenses. I wonder, how well do those external VFs people attach work? Does it limit the "pocketability" of the Q? Realize I always have a small crossbody purse with me that I could, I think, slip the Q into when it isn't in use. Likewise, I think the 06 lens is small enough to be carried easily, so I can attach it when I feel the need to get up close and personal with far away things.

Thoughts? Advice? Questions to help me decide? After my disappointment with the K-01, I don't want to pull the trigger without asking around.

07-10-2014, 11:23 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have one and I can tell you it is small, really small. It will do decent pictures in good light. I simply use the rear LCD when using it, so I have no idea on the external viewfinders.
07-10-2014, 11:26 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought a Q and have subsequently bought the Q7. (mind you I also own a K20, K5, and a new K3) I liked the Q and considered upgrading to the Q10 but held off because it wasn't THAT big of a change from the Q. The Q7 is though and has the smaller 4.7 crop factor over both the Q and Q10. That said, I find the Q system to be fun and handy and I carry it for fun stuff when I want to go light. I don't - yet - own the 06 lens but find that the 02 lens is really the most versatile. Interestingly enough when I bought the Q, I was about to buy the K-01 and went the other way with the Q. No regrets.

I have a small external viewfinder (from a very old Leica) that I occasionally use with Q. I have not found any real advantage to it over the LCD.

Does all of that mean I'm suggesting getting the Q10? Sure, why not as the price is right but honestly, I'd opt for the Q7.
07-10-2014, 11:49 AM   #4

Original Poster
Hmmm. It seems I could pick up a Q7 kit on Amazon that includes both the 02 and 06 lenses for around $500. Considering the 06 all by itself would cost me $279, and then adding the $169 cost of the Q10, I would be better off just getting the Q7 kit...

How is the Q7 an upgrade beyond the larger sensor? Inquiring mind and all...

07-10-2014, 11:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have a K30, 2 Q's, Q7 and a Canon S100 and I use them equally. The S100 when I just want a camera on by belt case and I do not plan on taking any photos, the K30 for grand kids sports, birding or some event where many people expect to see a camera. The Q's fill the rest of the time, when I want small a kit with several zooms, or when on a nature walk and I want a 1000mm lens etc... or when I want a fisheye

The $500 Q7 sounds like a deal, I love mine with the 06 and I find my 02 quite sharp
07-10-2014, 12:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I think one of the best Q configuration is any model with the 01 lens. It is a delight to use! I have the 02 lens on my Q and rarely use it.

The Q10 is now going the way of the Q and I think the Q7 will follow shortly. It has to or the stock levels will be unnaturally high, I think. Try the Q10 as you wait for the Q7 to drop even lower. I don't think you'll be disappointed as long as you don't expect modern DSLR IQ in low light with high ISO settings.
07-10-2014, 12:48 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the Q7 is what the Q (and Q10) should have been. It's just got more features.

07-10-2014, 01:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by suliabryon Quote
I briefly had a K-01, I hated the lack of VF. (I realize the Q does not have one either. However, I see lots of mods adding one via the hot shoe).
VF mods? No, at the end of the day these are all useless. If you hate using the rear LCD for composing and you hated the K-01, don't waste your money on a Q. Instead look at the RX100 III
07-10-2014, 01:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I typically carry the Q7 with 01 lens in one pocket (of my cargo shorts) and the 06 and 08 lenses in a small case in my other pocket.

The Q7 back screen, by default, is set to medium brightness. I maxed my brightness and I'm able to use it fine in bright sunlight. It burns up battery life faster, but its easy to carry several extra batteries in your pocket.
07-10-2014, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I thought I wouldn't like a camera without a viewfinder, but I find it fine. I typically like using the Q or Q7 in social situations where I'd like a deep depth of field and/or having a camera that is discreet. I also like it for just walking around when the light is good and I'm not being too serious about photography. Even with the 06 lens at full zoom, it's actually pretty easy to get bokehlicious shots at the minimum focal distance. It's really a great system - I like it and use it waaaaay more than I thought I would. But since I can carry the camera and 3 lenses in a pack about the size of a paperback book and it weighs less than a pound, I literally take it with me everywhere. And the pic quality is really very good. With the q7, iso 1600 is my max, with the Q it's iso 800. The q7 is quite a bit more responsive... it's a great one handed camera.

Here's my Flickr Q set:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/55038128@N00/sets/72157631762031470/
07-16-2014, 12:20 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for responding and giving me so much to think about. While of course I am tempted by the improvements of the Q7, I decided I would save my money and get a much less expensive Q10 to check out. That way, if I find I really dislike the lack of VF, I won't be out much when/if I turn around and sell it. I found a kit with the red version (which I like!) and 02 and 06 lenses for $348 at a Japanese site called Aoyama and Co. Since the 06 was one of the reasons I was so interested,t his gives me the chance to really try out the camera, and if I sell the Q10 and 02 separately from the 06, I can probably recoup the entire cost, or close to it if the camera just doesn't work for me.

Of course, I am REALLY hoping it does! I really wanted the 01 prime instead of the 02 zoom, but it doesn't seem like the Q's get packaged with this lens. Ah well. Should still give me a pretty good idea. Thanks again! I'll post again after I have the camera and try it out.