Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2014, 07:30 AM   #1

Swapping original q for mx-1

Cross-post from compact forum.

I have an original Q w/ the 01 prime lens that I have used sporadically this last year. I have never really found the image quality to be acceptable and find the size of the camera to be a problem with my large hands. I am considering putting it up for sale here and getting an mx-1.

I am looking for opinions form people that have both and how they compare in terms of image quality and ease of use.

07-14-2014, 09:06 AM   #2
Site Supporter

I find the MX-1 image quality is much better than what I get out of the Q with the 02 lens. I don't have the 01 yet so can't comment there. Also I am only comparing JPEGs straight out of camera.

According to the detailed reviews posted here (Pentax Cameras - DSLR Reviews and Comparisons), the MX-1 also has somewhat better IQ than even the Q7. In some discussion thread, Adam said the better IQ was due to the MX-1's great lens. Not sure which lens (or if an average of several Q lenses) was used as a basis for the IQ determination on the Q7.

I really like the tilting screen on the MX-1. It is about perfect IMO, and (to me) more useful than a flip out screen would be, whatever that comment is worth.

For overall ergonomics, I prefer the Q. The Q's menu structure is a little more like standard Pentax DSLRs than the MX-1 is. The MX-1 deviates a little, maybe not a big deal I guess.

The MX-1 is chunkier which might be easier for you to grip, but both have very small buttons, so I don't necessarily see any improvement for you there.

All said, I look forward to adding Q7 to my arsenal. Or whatever succeeds the Q7.

Good luck.
07-14-2014, 11:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The MX-1 will offer better IQ overall and The 01 prime is the only HQ prime which leaves nothing but zooms for anything of quality. If you're going to be using a zoom lens anyway you may as well use one that is faster, has a wider usable focal length range OOTB, better optical quality, is collapsible, and sits in front of a larger sensor. The tilting screen shouldn't be underestimated either, especially for candid or "street photography"; no one expects people to be using waist level viewfinders these days. Lastly, and mostly least, the original Q is certainly a looker but the MX-1 is an equally attractive piece of kit, especially in black.

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 07-15-2014 at 10:05 AM.
07-15-2014, 01:40 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have several Q's, and a Q7 and they are my creative cameras (in addition to my DSLR's) but my S100 (Canon) is my everyday carry in a belt case camera. If I intend to shoot photos the Q's go along but if I am going to the store it's just the s100. So I guess what I am saying I wouldn't give up my Q for a small retractable lens P&S like the MX-1 I feel the need for both. The Q gives me a 70-200 equiv. f2.8 zoom, a Fisheye and the ability of adapt lenses, the S100 (MX-1) doesn't. Just for info my Q7 and S100 IQ is about the same with a slight edge to the Q7

07-15-2014, 02:42 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses. I sold my Q and just ordered the mx-1. I only had the prime for the Q and had no intention of getting any other lenses, so its utility was quite limited for me. I also did not find the q to K adaptor to be horribly useful, as all my attempts with that came out very grainy. I am not meaning to knock the Q, it just wasn't filling the need I had, as I take my k-01 when I am in "creative" mode. What I wanted was something that I could easily carry around and would be great for those "spur of the moment" shots like when I take my kid to the park, rainbows on the way back from the grocery store, or after-dinner strolls back to the car and that had really good IQ. While I appreciated the built quality and uniqueness of the Q, I found it ill-suited for the role I intended it to fill and it never "fit" for me. And, while I wanted a smaller carry-around, I think at the end of the day, I just found the Q to be TOO small for my liking. I hope the mx-1 will do what I am looking for.

Last edited by pentaxian_tmb; 07-15-2014 at 03:14 PM.