Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2014, 04:02 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
You're stuck with 4-5 extra batteries that will not hold their charge in a few months because you're not using them anymore. .
That is no longer true. You can store charged Lithium batteries for extended periods of time and while it is true they will deplete over a period of time, they will easily recharge and be available for your next trip. I have some that I use in my K-5 & K-5IIs series cameras that are now about three years old have been charged and depleted over 50 times and they continue to work well. Actually if you rotate batteries, having four or five in rotation with a Q series camera is quite normal as it eats them up quickly.

On the other hand you can just take more trips.

10-08-2014, 05:04 PM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
That is no longer true. You can store charged Lithium batteries for extended periods of time and while it is true they will deplete over a period of time, they will easily recharge and be available for your next trip. I have some that I use in my K-5 & K-5IIs series cameras that are now about three years old have been charged and depleted over 50 times and they continue to work well. Actually if you rotate batteries, having four or five in rotation with a Q series camera is quite normal as it eats them up quickly.

No longer true since when?

"Lithium-based chemistries should be stored at around a 40 percent state-of-charge (SoC). This level minimizes age-related capacity loss while keeping the battery in operating condition and allowing self-discharge."

The problem is reaching this 40% SoC. Hard to do without specific equipment.

I have recently discarded 3 packs for the Q because they either could not hold charge after being stored improperly for a long time in a discharged state. Two of them were even puffed and would not fit in The Q. I have seen similar things hapening with used lithium based packs we use in our radio controlled airplanes. Our chargers, far more advanced than what we have for camera applications have a storage mode that will allow to reach such SoC.

OP sorry to have derailed your thread...

---------- Post added Oct 8th, 2014 at 20:20 ----------

Let me add two important factors to the equation: quality of the charger and quality of the battery pack.

Bad/low cost chargers will often have a tendancy to overcharge and sometimes overheat the battery (heat is your ennemy when charging). This results in less available cycles and less capacity over time.

Low quality batteries will have less capacity than advertised and will loose their charge holding capacity more rapidly.

What I did not say in my previous post is that my original Pentax battery can still hold its capacity almost as if new while the other 3 dead packs were ebay cheapo packs sold with a low cost/low quality charger.

A good way to increase the number of cycles of your battery is to charge it before it is completely discharged (before the camera shuts itself down).

But then you'll read posts from members of the forum who never cared one minute about these advices and have zero problem. And others that care having problems.

YMMV

QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
That is certainly the way to go

Last edited by mamethot; 10-08-2014 at 05:27 PM.
10-08-2014, 06:24 PM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
So, I just acquired a Q7, with one oem battery and two wasabi's. Going to be traveling light in Hawaii, lots of camping, hiking, etc. Coming from the k5 and never having to worry about depleted batteries, I'm wondering if three batteries will be enough, say, if we're away form a power source for a few days and also what strategies there are to maximize battery life.
We had two threads on this last month. In a nutshell, there seem to be two groups of Q users when it comes to battery life: One that gets 200+ shots per charge, and travels with one or two spares; and a second that gets under 100 shots per charge, and carries pocket loads of batteries. A few insights for joining the first group:
*Keep the LCD at default; don't make it super bright.
*Set your time out fairly short; turn the camera on, use it, then turn it off.
*Check to see that you have Shake Reduction set to During Shot Only.

Here are the threads: Questions for those who get less than 100 shots.

And Q/Q7 Battery life; an investigation.

Cjf
10-09-2014, 03:07 PM   #19

Don't overthink it. Batteries are cheap and they don't weigh much nor do they take up much room.

10-13-2014, 07:58 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
No longer true since when?

I have recently discarded 3 packs for the Q because they either could not hold charge after being stored improperly for a long time in a discharged state. Two of them were even puffed and would not fit in The Q. I have seen similar things hapening with used lithium based packs we use in our radio controlled airplanes. Our chargers, far more advanced than what we have for camera applications have a storage mode that will allow to reach such SoC.
What I do know is that I accidentally left a Wasabi D-Li90 battery for my K-5 at my fathers house. He found it and put it in a drawer. Two years later, which was my next visit, I popped that battery into the K-5 and it gave me about 40 shots. I then recharged it and it is still in use. When those batteries are depleted they read about 7.25 volts verses a full charge of 8.39 volts.

I seem to have misplaced my second set of batteries for my K-110 so yesterday, during one of the shoots for my WEB site, I pulled a set of FACTORY PRECHARGED Duracell Rechargeable AA 2000mAh out of my stash and put them into my K-110. The Target receipt for those batteries is dated 12/15/2011. I took 29 shots with them before the camera shut off. They read 1.214 volts when the camera shut off. Six hours of recharging and they now read 1.418 which is what those batteries read when fully charged. I keep a spread sheet of my rechargeable battery usage recording voltage when fully charged and when fully depleted and the number of shots for each charge. Like I said, I have some batteries that have been recharged many times and been in operation for years. That is the kind of service you can expect from a quality battery when it is properly maintained.