Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2014, 12:17 PM   #1
Forum Member

06 lens zoom lock troubles

Hello, I have been having trouble with my Q 06 lens detecting the point when the zoom lock is disabled. When it clicks past the lock I still get the message telling me the shutter release is disabled and to insure the zoom index on the lens is set to a position that permits it. I am only able to take a picture when the I hit 22mm or higher. Bringing it back down past this point brings up the message. Also the exif info the focal length indicated is off. For example if I shoot at 45mm on the zoom ring the exif data says I am shooting around 26mm.

From time to time I will be able to use the entire 15-45mm range but it is hit or miss. Sometimes I don't even need to turn off the camera for it to "correct" itself.

I have updated to the latest firmware and have also cleaned the contacts and switched between lenses 02 or 01 and that doesn't seem to help any. I am guessing that the calibration on the zoom ring is off. I just don't understand how sometimes it is OK.
Tempted to get the screwdriver out to see what is behind the mounting ring but thought I would see if anyone else has encountered this problem?

07-14-2014, 01:31 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
The way you describe the problem, it sounds like a mechanical issue where a piece inside the lens is actually moving in and out of place. If it's under warranty, I would likely send it in for service, though I can understand the temptation to take it apart just to see if it's a simple fix (e.g., a loose screw).