Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2014, 08:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Will the Q be good enough?

Ladies and gentlemen,
i've been thinking about buying the Original Q with the 02 lens and every lens mount adapter that i can find.
Some family members will be travelling to the US in two months. Since i'm usually the one travelling i can normally try those things out before i buy them, but not this time.
So, here's the deal :
Would the Q be a nice toy to use with my DA 55-300, as well as my 50mm 1.7, SMC K 135mm 3.5, and FA 100mm 3.5?
Sincerely, would it produce generally sharp results with those, or are they mostly reduced-size worthy?
I've seen many many samples with those, but it seems to be kind of random...some are soft and unusable even at 1024x678, hmm...
What do you guys think? Should i get that one or get a tad more money and get my girlfriend a camera such as a K-x? [i'm thinking this is kind of getting to a relationship advice point, lets back off!]
I'm thinking a 10-20 would go nicely in my kit...too many options, too little time, too tightfisted...

07-15-2014, 08:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It is fun to use for the crop effect, but I believe I'd spend the 250ish I've seen used K30 camera bodies go for at times.

In good light the Q is fine, and the Q10 has been coming in with the kit lens at around $160 multiple times here lately, but it absolutely sucks in lower light and if your lens has any imperfections it will magnify those.

That being said I was quite surprised with how it did with the Takumar F 70-210 I have.
07-15-2014, 09:00 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In order to use your 55-300 since it does not have an aperture ring, you are going to need the Pentax A/K adapter, which runs I think $250 - all by itself. The rest of your lenses have aperture rings.

The Q takes good pictures in good to excellent light. As the light drops off, the ISO goes up and the images get really noisy. It is a good camera for what it is - but in good light.

07-16-2014, 04:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
In order to use your 55-300 since it does not have an aperture ring, you are going to need the Pentax A/K adapter, which runs I think $250 - all by itself. The rest of your lenses have aperture rings.
You could also try scoring a copy of the old style Fotodiox adapter with the aperture ring. Should be less than $30.

07-16-2014, 12:48 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
In order to use your 55-300 since it does not have an aperture ring, you are going to need the Pentax A/K adapter, which runs I think $250 - all by itself. The rest of your lenses have aperture rings. The Q takes good pictures in good to excellent light. As the light drops off, the ISO goes up and the images get really noisy. It is a good camera for what it is - but in good light.
New style Fotodiox adapter has aperture ring as well but no tripod ability.

QuoteOriginally posted by GabrielFFontes Quote
Ladies and gentlemen, i've been thinking about buying the Original Q with the 02 lens and every lens mount adapter that i can find. Some family members will be travelling to the US in two months. Since i'm usually the one travelling i can normally try those things out before i buy them, but not this time. So, here's the deal : Would the Q be a nice toy to use with my DA 55-300, as well as my 50mm 1.7, SMC K 135mm 3.5, and FA 100mm 3.5? Sincerely, would it produce generally sharp results with those, or are they mostly reduced-size worthy? I've seen many many samples with those, but it seems to be kind of random...some are soft and unusable even at 1024x678, hmm... What do you guys think? Should i get that one or get a tad more money and get my girlfriend a camera such as a K-x? [i'm thinking this is kind of getting to a relationship advice point, lets back off!] I'm thinking a 10-20 would go nicely in my kit...too many options, too little time, too tightfisted...
I'd buy the Q kit not for its image quality but for the fun it provides. if you are after ultimate IQ you may be disappointed.
It takes some TLC to get really good shots with adapted lenses, and modern lenses with better coatings and no bad tendencies will work the best.
The Q sensor should be used at lowest ISO for best results.
Adapted lenses are hit or miss.
Older lenses that look fine on a DSLR will typically suffer under the Q sensor's brutal dissection of every fault.
I've seen good work done with the 55-300, but you will need a steady hand for the long stuff.

The Q can be a great camera using the native lenses.
If you adapt lenses you need time to experiment to find best aperture, approach, etc.
Someone with no patience or little experience can get frustrated, but if you take the time to work with it you can get great results.

From your list of lenses I would use the Sigma 70-200, DA 55-300, and FA100.
The M's and K's you may end up with some aberrations that will be exaggerated by the crop factor.

Remember that every lens you put on will turn into a telephoto with the 5.5x crop, only the native (02,08) lenses or will give you wide angle capability.
07-16-2014, 04:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
New style Fotodiox adapter has aperture ring as well but no tripod ability.

I'd buy the Q kit not for its image quality but for the fun it provides. if you are after ultimate IQ you may be disappointed.
It takes some TLC to get really good shots with adapted lenses, and modern lenses with better coatings and no bad tendencies will work the best.
The Q sensor should be used at lowest ISO for best results.
Adapted lenses are hit or miss.
Older lenses that look fine on a DSLR will typically suffer under the Q sensor's brutal dissection of every fault.
I've seen good work done with the 55-300, but you will need a steady hand for the long stuff.

The Q can be a great camera using the native lenses.
If you adapt lenses you need time to experiment to find best aperture, approach, etc.
Someone with no patience or little experience can get frustrated, but if you take the time to work with it you can get great results.

From your list of lenses I would use the Sigma 70-200, DA 55-300, and FA100.
The M's and K's you may end up with some aberrations that will be exaggerated by the crop factor.

Remember that every lens you put on will turn into a telephoto with the 5.5x crop, only the native (02,08) lenses or will give you wide angle capability.
Hello,
yes, the Q's fun factor is making me want to buy it, because i could take it anywhere, that would be great...
About those lenses, forgot to edit my signature, i sold that 70-200 more than a year ago, ops.
I'll have to think some more...well, i have until October, so a lot of time for thinking...
Thank you!