Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2014, 09:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone want to try and translate this? No wide prime?

"- By the way, has been described in the roadmap of the Q-mount lens, two lenses and "WIDE" and "TELEPHOTO MACRO" is to appear in 2013 or later. These whether I will become and what went on the lens?
Road map of Q-mount lens.

Wakashiro: I can not say yet that detailed, but both rather than a unique lens series, you will type with an emphasis on image quality. Prototype I have made, but it is a very good impression depiction. I think that it becomes the lens for me to realize that that "I take so neatly in 1/1.7 type". Wide-angle lens, because it is the world shooting can be difficult to compact digital cameras and smart phones in particular, and we expect or be happy with willing customers in that it can be taken with a small system so it."

Emphasis in bold is mine.

07-21-2014, 10:47 PM   #2
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It would help if you could link the original text. From what I can gather, he is saying that they have a prototype of a wide prime, it is good quality and it will offer Q users something that compact cameras and smartphones can't do. But he can't offer any details yet.
07-22-2014, 02:31 AM   #3

Source?

There was a wide lens released in 2013... according to the visual roadmap there is a telephoto in development. I don't see anything there that's new information...
07-22-2014, 09:57 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
"- By the way, has been described in the roadmap of the Q-mount lens, two lenses and "WIDE" and "TELEPHOTO MACRO" is to appear in 2013 or later." (...)
This was obviously written in 2013.

Pentax 08 Wide Zoom 3.8-5.9mm (17.5-27mm equ.) f/3.7-4 was announced on November 6th, 2013.

Pentax 09 Telephoto Macro (presumably 23mm f/2.8) is to be announced at Photokina.

07-22-2014, 10:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
And to be fair, supposedly the 08 wide is pretty good quality on the Q/Q7.
07-22-2014, 01:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Yes, it is an interview from last year. I couldn't tell from the poor Google translation whether he meant a wide prime was unfeasible or quite easy to do with such a small sensor. I wanted someone else's take so thanks everyone.

I am quite intrigued by the camera beyond my initial intended use but the lack of a sensibly priced fast compact wide prime and the not so sensible price of the rather slow wide zoom is off putting. The whole thing seems odd to me, small sensor aside; offering a slow wide zoom at a price point one would not expect a consumer to pay whilst omitting a fast wide prime that an enthusiast would gladly pay a premium for. Taking the IQ characteristics of a small sensor into consideration the 08 is an insanely expensive lens at $200.00 more than either the standard or tele zoom.

Sigh, who am I to question when I am but a cog in The Great Wheel Of Elvis.