Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2014, 05:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Weird behavior of brand new Q7 - return?

I came across a good deal on an open box Q7, and it arrived today. However, something is not right...

It seems to randomly power down, not remembering settings. I had to go through the date setup 3 times before it took. Then I had to set the RAW as opposed to default JPEG several times before it took. Had problems with it keeping ISO settings and focus settings as well, even though the memory was set for those settings. It would turn off faster than expected (I.e. Power down), though I never had problems turning it back on (albeit without settings being remembered).

Any suggestions on an easy fix? Am I missing something? I tried two different batteries, and two different cards (not formatted on the camera though).

Thx

07-23-2014, 05:39 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Try factory reset the camera I guess? It sounds like on board memory could be bad.
07-23-2014, 06:10 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unmount and remount the lens and/or clean the contacts. Open and close the card door (especially) and battery door several times.

I had a similar problem at first that went away after I did that. Sounds crazy but there must have been some sort of e-feedback loop going on.
07-23-2014, 06:15 PM   #4
Pentaxian

In addition to the above put a fully charged battery in it and let it sit for a day or two before turning it on. The backup battery/accumulator may be discharged and it takes a while for it to recharge.

07-23-2014, 06:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Unmount and remount the lens and/or clean the contacts. Open and close the card door (especially) and battery door several times.

I had a similar problem at first that went away after I did that. Sounds crazy but there must have been some sort of e-feedback loop going on.
Well - I tried several different lenses (so mounted and removed multiple times), changed cards multiple times, and changed batteries multiple times. Then I upgraded the firmware, and everything started up OK (still without the RAW setting - just wont stick). Tried to take a picture, and the camera started beeping and locked up - had to pull the battery. Guess it is going back... Wanted a yellow rather than a silver anyway

---------- Post added 07-23-14 at 06:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
In addition to the above put a fully charged battery in it and let it sit for a day or two before turning it on. The backup battery/accumulator may be discharged and it takes a while for it to recharge.

OK - will try that as last resort
09-19-2014, 08:02 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

My new Q7 is also exhibiting a case of low-grade narcolepsy, with very similar problems to the OP. Hopefully, it's just a "breaking-in" thing.
09-19-2014, 10:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Just to be absolutely sure -- you need to choose the "settings complete" field and OK after correcting the date and time to make it remember them. But I guess you did that.
09-19-2014, 01:11 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlG Quote
Just to be absolutely sure -- you need to choose the "settings complete" field and OK after correcting the date and time to make it remember them. But I guess you did that.
I don't know about the OP, but yes, I can confirm that I did that. It lost settings the first couple times it blacked out, but that part of it seemed to subside after sitting with a charged battery for a few hours. Besides the random blackouts, I've had it freeze twice and lock up while making strange noises writing to the card once. In both those cases, I had to pull the battery. Reading that others have had similar problems gives me confidence that Q7 and I will get through this.

PS: I updated the firmware to 1.01 before I found this thread; in retrospect, that was a bravely stupid thing to do if the camera hadn't "burned in" sufficiently.

09-19-2014, 01:36 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

If my Q sits unused long enough to fully discharge the battery (weeks - not days - which can happen with the Q) it exhibits the immediate shutdown and non-sticky settings behavior. It has always gone away after an hour or so sitting with a charged battery.
09-20-2014, 12:02 AM   #10

I've had a lock up requiring a battery pull on the Q7 2 possibly 3 times, I think worth the 08 lens. However I've never lost settings.
J
09-20-2014, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Forgot this tread. I retuned it, and got a different one a week or two later. Have not had ANY issues with second one.
09-22-2014, 05:12 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HenrikDK Quote
Forgot this tread. I retuned it, and got a different one a week or two later. Have not had ANY issues with second one.
I didn't mean to hijack your thread, but it sounds like we had the exact same symptoms. Woot said they didn't have any replacements; I took a partial refund and will handle it as a warranty repair if necessary.

My Theory-of-the-Day is a bad battery (or charger?). I charged the battery Friday evening, left it in the camera overnight, got ~70 shots in about three hours Saturday. It blacked out about a dozen times, and froze once while writing. Did not recharge overnight. Sunday morning, the battery showed half-green, then about 5 minutes later, yellow (with multiple blackouts, including loss of settings). I decided to run it into the ground. Completely dead in about twenty minutes. I put it in the charger this morning, and the light went out in less than half an hour. Took it out, put it back in, had a charging light again - off again about ten minutes later. I've got a Wasabi kit on the way; we'll see what that does.
09-22-2014, 09:17 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I didn't mean to hijack your thread, but it sounds like we had the exact same symptoms. Woot said they didn't have any replacements; I took a partial refund and will handle it as a warranty repair if necessary.

My Theory-of-the-Day is a bad battery (or charger?). I charged the battery Friday evening, left it in the camera overnight, got ~70 shots in about three hours Saturday. It blacked out about a dozen times, and froze once while writing. Did not recharge overnight. Sunday morning, the battery showed half-green, then about 5 minutes later, yellow (with multiple blackouts, including loss of settings). I decided to run it into the ground. Completely dead in about twenty minutes. I put it in the charger this morning, and the light went out in less than half an hour. Took it out, put it back in, had a charging light again - off again about ten minutes later. I've got a Wasabi kit on the way; we'll see what that does.
You might consider using an electrical multi meter to read the voltage of the battery. Test using the two outer, the + and the - terminals. Set the multi meter to the 9 volt battery setting. The battery should read 4.17 - 4.19 volts after charging. When the camera says the battery is depleted and you remove it from the camera it should read between 3.15 and 3.35 volts. That is about the only accurate way to determine if you have a bad battery. Even doing that just gives you half the story because it could be reading good voltage but not be putting out any amperage. A lack of amperage is what happens to may car batteries when they go bad.
09-22-2014, 09:46 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My issue was withut a doubt a camera/board issue. Short/bad capacitor etc. I had a Q10 before that never had these issues, and the new Q7 works flawlessly..
09-29-2014, 04:51 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Just in case anyone else has this problem - trying another battery did not work. Going to send it in for warranty repair.