Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2014, 04:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Cooked my Q7 LCD

I was using my Q7 today with the LCD magnifier in bright sunlight, It works well when using a baseball cap. I must have held the camera at just the right angle to let the sun focus through the magnifier on to the LCD with the camera switched on and burned out the LCD right in the center. See images

See yellow lines and spots in center of the LCD when camera is turned on with lens cap in place

Also shows up when using the camera focusing on subject

This image with camera off you can see the damage,

So everyone be mindful when using this type of device and keep it shaded. I have used it many times on both my Q and Q7 and never had a problem. I assume the same thing can happen when using a hood with a magnifying lens that I have also used many times without problems.

The camera still works fine and no problems with the images but it just pi**es me off every time I look at the LCD

07-24-2014, 05:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
wow that sucks
07-24-2014, 05:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow that sucks Hans , thanks for the warning.
Will have to watch how I use the loupe now.
07-24-2014, 05:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What a depressing development. Ouch. There is a company that sells new lcd screens for many cameras including the Q family. Seems like it was about $70.

When a screen cracks the damage slowly grows. Wonder if heat damage works the same way?
thanks
barondla

07-24-2014, 06:19 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That fully sucks.
Good of you to warn others. Shame the magnifier didn't come with a warning of such an event. I would get in contact with whoever sold you the magnifier and let them know. Probably they won't be generous enough to reimburse you, but they should at least provide a note in the box warning to be careful with sunlight.
07-24-2014, 07:03 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hans,

I am so sorry to see this. I have the same viewing device and find if very useful to help finding the target and in stabilizing the camera. Unfortunately, as you know, it is most useful in bright sun. I will remember to be extra careful. Maybe always folding it back between uses might prevent the damage. Thank you for alerting the rest of us. Maybe if you let they vendor know what happened they might have an idea to prevent future disasters like yours.
07-24-2014, 08:08 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just looked again at your photos. Is there any possibility that a plastic coating or cover is what melted and the lcd is ok? Hope I am right but I realize it is unlikely.

07-25-2014, 05:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I just looked again at your photos. Is there any possibility that a plastic coating or cover is what melted and the lcd is ok? Hope I am right but I realize it is unlikely.
No the lines and dots are bright yellow when the LCD is on, I have 2 classic Q's and am thinking of swapping the LCD but I don't like the thought of damaging a working camera more, I will probably just live with it.
07-25-2014, 06:29 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My sympathies. I know how frustrating damage like that can be even if the device remains usable. I envy your deep bench
07-26-2014, 12:08 AM   #10

The LCD magnifier looks great. What brand? I want one!
07-26-2014, 05:19 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Clearviewer

It is called a Clearviewer and you can get a version to mount on the tripod hole or the flash shoe. The web site is the name of the product. Mine has transformed my full daylight use of the Q/Q7 with the 06. It is a great product. It just now appears that we have to be careful about folding the lens up when not in use to avoid the OPs problem. At least I hope that will avoid the issue.
07-26-2014, 05:26 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It is called a Clearviewer and you can get a version to mount on the tripod hole or the flash shoe. The web site is the name of the product. Mine has transformed my full daylight use of the Q/Q7 with the 06. It is a great product. It just now appears that we have to be careful about folding the lens up when not in use to avoid the OPs problem. At least I hope that will avoid the issue.
That's the one I have I have had it for a year now without a problem until this week. I will keep it folded when not using it. I find it works great with a ball cap in bright sunlight. Comes with a little pouch that fits in my pocket when not being used. Also works great for manual focus with adapted lenses.

I have 2 other Q's and am thinking of swapping out LCD panels with my oldest Q, anyone had one apart or know if the Q7 and orig. Q use a common LCD
07-26-2014, 05:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Wow! Didn't know that could happen. I'll watch how I use the loupe from now on. Thanks for the warning.
07-26-2014, 05:53 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another thought/warning

I have been thinking of trying the tripod mount version of the Clearviewer but now I wonder. It folds up with the lens directly over the lcd for storage. That seems like a very handy way to carry the device but I wonder if it would make the risk of magnifier burn even more likely. Any thoughts? The flash shoe version works great in use but is a bit awkward to store on camera.
07-26-2014, 08:34 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have been thinking of trying the tripod mount version of the Clearviewer but now I wonder. It folds up with the lens directly over the lcd for storage. That seems like a very handy way to carry the device but I wonder if it would make the risk of magnifier burn even more likely. Any thoughts? The flash shoe version works great in use but is a bit awkward to store on camera.
I find the flash shoe version works for me because I can brace the hinge to my forehead or eyebrow even when using glasses and that wouldn't work with the tripod mount.

I just tried a little experiment and held the clearview lens under the sun and focused the sun on my hand and wouldn't you know it focused and heated my skin at just about the normal distance from lens to LCD.

I tried using an adapted lens with the hood loupe & clearview and the damage didn't cause me to miss focus the lens so I am going to live with it. I still like the clearview and plan to continue using it but more carefully now.