Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2014, 02:52 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Q lenses 01 and 08 available in Australia

01 @ AU$ 199
https://www.pentax.com.au/product/pentax-01-standard-prime-lens-q-series-cameras
great lens, I like it very much
08 @ AU$ 449 !
https://www.pentax.com.au/product/pentax-08-wide-zoom-lens-q-series-cameras
wow! that is very pricy
has anyone tested that lens?
is this very high price justified?

07-26-2014, 05:11 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Q 08

I have the lens but have not had it long enough to be sure it was worth the price. It does provide a significant extension to the Q system. I need to take more pictures under a variety of circumstances to properly evaluate it. It happens that I also had the rare chance to pick up a Sigma 8-16 at about the same time so I am testing them together. Although normally that would not be a fair comparison, given the price of the 08 I expect it to hold its own if it is to justify the cost. It seems to me that the 08 will have to be close to the 01 and 06 in usefulness and relative IQ to justify its cost.
07-26-2014, 06:28 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The user reviews for this lens are empty:
SMC Pentax-Q 08 Wide Zoom 3.8-5.9mm F3.7-4 Reviews - Q-Mount Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
But there are three sample photos and they seem pretty good:
Pentax Camera & Lens Sample Photo Search Engine - PentaxForums.com
And there is a nice review here:
My 36 exposures review of the Pentax-08 Wide Zoom Lens for Pentax Q7

These sample photos are pretty great, so the photographer really knew what he was doing to get nice, crisp photos, great DoF, well processed. I doubt I would get photos like that in the first months of using that lens. And yes, it is a little pricey, but its ultra wide angle on the Q, something that little cameras often can't achieve very well!
07-26-2014, 07:22 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Sample 08

Here is a sample from the 08 and Q7. It has been lightly processed in DXO which does not know either the lens or the camera so the processing is generic. I still have a lot to learn about processing and the best settings for this lens but so far I am quite happy with it.

Last edited by Mikesul; 07-26-2014 at 07:27 AM.
07-26-2014, 09:30 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Personally, I really like the 08 and it filled a gap in the Q line-up that I thought really needed to be filled given the types of pics I like to take. In apsc terms, I can carry a kit that goes from 11.5 to 135mm in a very compact package. I am constantly amazed at what the Q series is capable of, particularly with the Q7!
07-30-2014, 12:55 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have the 08 lens, and have used it a little. It seems to be a very good lens. Is it worth the price? In a way, probably not, but it's basically the only game in town (only alternative might be some CCTV lens with an adapter), so that makes it more worth it. I got mine in the Premium Kit to get a few extras and a little money off what the components would be separately. Maybe if I process some of my images soon I will post a sample (but if I didn't manage to catch a decent image, I probably won't post any :-) ).