Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2014, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Why is there so much interest in adapting large size lenses?

Based on Blunty’s Youtube video review and some of the other reviews I read, I surmised that one of the major strengths of the Q series camera’s was the ability for a photographer to carry a small camera and a few different lenses in one large pocket. In addition the Q series had some special effects that allowed photographers to expand their creative side. In addition was the intangible fun factor. Along those lines I had tested the Q, Q10 and now the Q7 all in the same month to see if it could be applied to my interest within photography. I published some of these findings, as well and some images on my web site.

With these capabilities and some of the camera’s shortcomings in mind, I am wondering why there is so much interest in using adapters to mount and use large size lenses. Does that not defeat the main design / purpose of this camera? Except for the multiplication of lens factor, what is the benefit to using a large size between 25mm and 300mm lens on the Q verses using the same size lens on a K-100 or possible some newer DSLR? I have the 01 and 02 lenses for my Q7 with the 06 zoom lens on the way.

I am also wondering about the effects of using the adapters that are being discussed. Lenses are specifically designed for a certain distance from a camera’s mounting flange and from the film / sensor plane. You can Google “Camera lens Flange Focal distance” to see what I am talking about.

By the way, I am really intrigued by the results some of you are getting in their street shots. Their visionary interpretation of the street scene and use of B&W to create moods is way beyond what I see when looking through a camera view finder.

HO Scale USRA 2-8-8-2 photographed at Scottsdale Model RR Club in Scottsdale, Arizona
Pentax Q10, 01 Prime Lens, f8, 2.5 sec, ISO 100, AV Priority, Available light, no flash

Denny

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q10  Photo 
07-27-2014, 12:15 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adapting longer lenses makes extreme telephoto/macro photography very affordable and it works rather well. In many cases, if you can overcome the difficult handling associated with using adapted lenses on the Q, the telephoto image quality could actually be better than what you'd get from an APS-C DSLR. I personally think this is a key selling point, since after all, the Q's big strength is that it's small and supports interchangeable lenses. If you just want a small camera that can take high-quality images, there are better options with larger sensors: i.e. the Ricoh GR or Sony RX 100, etc.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-27-2014, 01:18 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
I am also wondering about the effects of using the adapters that are being discussed. Lenses are specifically designed for a certain distance from a camera’s mounting flange
The adapter takes care of that.
and from the film / sensor plane.
The distance of the lens from the sensor plane is the same,
whether the lens is mounted natively,
or on a Q via an adapter.
07-27-2014, 01:30 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Except for the multiplication of lens factor, what is the benefit to using a large size between 25mm and 300mm lens on the Q verses using the same size lens on a K-100 or possible some newer DSLR?
You say "except" like that's a minor point when it is the entire reason -- for the outrageous reach it gives you. Compare the cost of a Q body + DA* 300 (for instance) with an APS-C body + fast high-end 900mm lens. Well, the latter is lot more expensive, in-fact so much more expensive that it doesn't even exist.

07-27-2014, 03:30 PM   #5

I'm adapting small size lens such as CS-mount and D-mount and super 8 lens. All-in for counter-movement.
07-27-2014, 03:54 PM   #6
owl
Forum Member

Because it is fun to experiment and try to cheat the system by getting amazing reach using lenses that you already have. Sometimes it works well enough that it reinforces the idea of getting something for nothing. Intermittent positive reinforcement is a powerful motivator, and for a community that suffers from LBA, that is all the motivation needed.

The images from the Q never quite met my needs but when I eventually get a Q7, I'm sure I'll start all over again.
07-27-2014, 09:14 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I think the Q system is is designed for those who want to experiment. It's apparent from the extreme number of built in digital filters and effects. Think of the lo-fi movement promoted by today's hipsters and Lomography. For as much as we may want to snicker at them, they are doing things that a lot of professionals wouldn't dare dream about. They embrace odd lenses, flare, and expired film. They're also totally OK with soft images. It's from this spirit that I think the Q was born. Mounting a massive K lens just to see what happens is plenty enough reason to make an adapter. Pentax wanted a piece of that action. I can't blame them for joining. Even if your images don't come out to your satisfaction you will take the experience with you. Done "right" you will take your "regular" shots differently. There's something fun about throwing spaghetti on a wall just to see what sticks.
07-28-2014, 11:10 AM   #8

Why is there so much interest in adapting large size lenses?<br />
<br />
Based on Blunty’s Youtube video review and some of the other reviews I read, I surmised that one of the major strengths of the Q series camera’s was the ability for a photographer to carry a small camera and a few different lenses in one large pocket. In addition the Q series had some special effects that allowed photographers to expand their creative side. In addition was the intangible fun factor. Along those lines I had tested the Q, Q10 and now the Q7 all in the same month to see if it could be applied to my interest within photography. I published some of these findings, as well and some images on my web site. <br />
<br />
With these capabilities and some of the camera’s shortcomings in mind, I am wondering why there is so much interest in using adapters to mount and use large size lenses. Does that not defeat the main design / purpose of this camera? Except for the multiplication of lens factor, what is the benefit to using a large size between 25mm and 300mm lens on the Q verses using the same size lens on a K-100 or possible some newer DSLR? I have the 01 and 02 lenses for my Q7 with the 06 zoom lens on the way. <br />
<br />
I am also wondering about the effects of using the adapters that are being discussed. Lenses are specifically designed for a certain distance from a camera’s mounting flange and from the film / sensor plane. You can Google “Camera lens Flange Focal distance” to see what I am talking about. <br />
<br />
By the way, I am really intrigued by the results some of you are getting in their street shots. Their visionary interpretation of the street scene and use of B&amp;W to create moods is way beyond what I see when looking through a camera view finder.

HO Scale USRA 2-8-8-2 photographed at Scottsdale Model RR Club in Scottsdale, Arizona
Pentax Q10, 01 Prime Lens, f8, 2.5 sec, ISO 100, AV Priority, Available light, no flash

Denny
I agree with you here. My 06 lens is minute for a 70-210 class lens. I can carry my 02,06,08 lenses and the Q7 in a pocket when I fly off on a holiday and still come back with nice pictures.
I see what folk are saying re long zooms, but I'm surprised there is such a large vocal proportion of long zoom people compared to its original target of flexibility and minute size.
Macro makes no sense, my wife has a Sony alpha 6000 and it's macro rings are just as cheap as the Q ones with way better quality pictures.

J

Last edited by jethro10; 07-31-2014 at 02:32 AM.
07-30-2014, 01:14 PM - 3 Likes   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jethro10 Quote
<br />
<br />
I agree with you here. My 06 lens is minute for a 70-210 class lens. I can carry my 02,06,08 lenses and the Q7 in a pocket when I fly off on a holiday and still come back with nice pictures. <br />
I see what folk are saying re long zooms, but I'm surprised there is such a large vocal proportion of long zoom people compared to its original target of flexibility and minute size. <br />
Macro makes no sense, my wife has a Sony alpha 6000 and it's macro rings are just as cheap as the Q ones with way better quality pictures.<br />
<br />
J
You seem to be under the impression that the people who like to use adapted telephoto lenses for incredible reach and the people who enjoy a small, light kit for convenience are two completely discrete groups. I don't really think that's true. I'd guess that in reality there is a lot of overlap between them. Also, macro with adapted lenses makes a lot of sense on the Q. When using the Q, thanks to the small sensor size, you get a much greater working distance and/or magnification and a much greater depth of field with the same lenses.
07-30-2014, 09:45 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
CFWhitman nailed my Q usage. It travels with me almost every where, in a pocket. When the big cameras go out to play, the Q rides along in the big bag ready to be used as a digital teleconverter. Putting big lenses on the Q is still a compact solution. How big is a 1200mm lens for an APS-c camera?

The Q is the Swiss Army Knife of cameras. It does things that are near impossible other wise. And it is fun.
thanks
barondla
07-31-2014, 02:05 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CFWhitman Quote
You seem to be under the impression that the people who like to use adapted telephoto lenses for incredible reach and the people who enjoy a small, light kit for convenience are two completely discrete groups. I don't really think that's true. I'd guess that in reality there is a lot of overlap between them. Also, macro with adapted lenses makes a lot of sense on the Q. When using the Q, thanks to the small sensor size, you get a much greater working distance and/or magnification and a much greater depth of field with the same lenses.
Yes to all of the above.

Fast extreme telephoto at minimal cost.
Ultra-macro with much greater depth of field without focus stacking.
When all is said and done you have a really cool ultra compact system camera when you take the adaptor off.
07-31-2014, 03:35 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jethro10 Quote
I agree with you here. My 06 lens is minute for a 70-210 class lens. I can carry my 02,06,08 lenses and the Q7 in a pocket when I fly off on a holiday and still come back with nice pictures.
J
I have an upcoming holiday and had considered taking only the Q but have dropped that idea. In bright sunlight I can't see the screen in order to frame the shot. So it's been relegated to being a backup to the K-5. I am, however, taking the Q-PK adapter just in case I find I need an ultra zoom
07-31-2014, 06:22 AM   #13

Photos: Gallery

Based on Blunty’s Youtube video review and some of the other reviews I read, I surmised that one of the major strengths of the Q series camera’s was the ability for a photographer to carry a small camera and a few different lenses in one large pocket. In addition the Q series had some special effects that allowed photographers to expand their creative side. In addition was the intangible fun factor. Along those lines I had tested the Q, Q10 and now the Q7 all in the same month to see if it could be applied to my interest within photography. I published some of these findings, as well and some images on my web site.

With these capabilities and some of the camera’s shortcomings in mind, I am wondering why...Denny

That's easy...IT'S FUN!!! I think with this little camera, you don't feel constrained to the norms of photography as much. I will also say that the blurb about the Q on your blog is what made me decide that I needed a q to play with in the first place. I can't remember what exactly I had searched on, but I hit your web page and it interested me enough to read about the Q. Frankly, the Q series wasn't even on my radar till then.
07-31-2014, 07:01 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Another aspect to the Q is that it has no mirror or shutter. So if someone wanted to try stop action or other film techniques, there is really nothing to wear out if you burned through an additional 10K images for a small video or something. Say for instance you could put the camera on a flatcar and then run the model train through your layout. Just found your page and see that you have done all of this already - wonderful videos and stills!!!!

You also have the scale model live steam units over at the railroad park. A camera off the the side of the steam engine as its running around might be interesting - something that you would not do with a dSLR. Something like the Q with different lenses may give a pretty unique perspective.

Last edited by interested_observer; 07-31-2014 at 07:17 AM.
07-31-2014, 08:57 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by oscaletrains Quote
That's easy...IT'S FUN!!! I think with this little camera, you don't feel constrained to the norms of photography as much. I will also say that the blurb about the Q on your blog is what made me decide that I needed a q to play with in the first place. I can't remember what exactly I had searched on, but I hit your web page and it interested me enough to read about the Q. Frankly, the Q series wasn't even on my radar till then.
Good to hear that you found something of interest on my WEB page. Using the Q series camera's for our type of model shooting is almost opposite what most photographers are doing. We get in close and expect to have a good depth of field. We care more about the smallest aperture than the largest and our shots are seldom done at anything less than the smallest aperture.

Though I have been a Pentax user since the mid 1970's I actually discovered the Q series when I was doing research on that small Crystar camera I showed in my 07/07/2014 blog. While I experimented with the original Q, and it performed well, I immediately updated to the Q10 and in the 07/16/2014 blog you saw some of the images I took with it in existing light conditions. For all of those shots I used the same settings as I described in my Photographing Models page. I have again upgraded, this time to a a Q7 and it gives better detail. You should get some fantastic shots of your O scale equipment and I look forward to seeing some.
Denny