Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2014, 07:18 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Removing the grip could leave more finger room for the Pentax Q-PK adapter. This would be helpful when hand holding adapted lenses. The Pentax adapter gives the sharpest hand held shots due to the built in leaf shutter. It isn't the easiest to grip though.

Wonder if the new "knob" even clears the Pentax Q-PK adapter? Need more information- fast.

thanks
barondla

07-30-2014, 07:32 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
my thought is that the extra knob is for a battery grip, although it doesn't make much sense to have it extend from the surface of the body (unless that's the only way to do it with the small body size...). there could be an unpowered grip that could fit there, or a larger battery grip. but hey - just a wild thought based on how impractical it would be to have a control knob in that location...
07-31-2014, 02:42 AM   #18

These new pictures, if real,
??????Q?????????Q-S1????????????? - ????info
Although a bit fuzzy in places, probably remove for me any doubt about the chance of a hot shoe that can take an EVF and a tiltable screen.

I'd also have liked to see the rear circle of buttons become a rotating dial like the Sony nex/alpha camera have but not so :-(
07-31-2014, 03:26 AM   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I suspect that knob is the grip.

07-31-2014, 06:56 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Could that knob be actually a shutter button for selfie shots?
07-31-2014, 07:20 AM   #21

Dang it... Looks like no flippy screen or EVF option. :'(
07-31-2014, 09:52 AM   #22

!

QuoteOriginally posted by Guakala Quote
Dang it... Looks like no flippy screen or EVF option. :'(
Frankly, it looks like CRAP to me...but we will all probably have to buy one eventually.

07-31-2014, 01:23 PM   #23
Forum Member

I do like that it seems to be more boxy then the Q10/Q7. Reminds me more of the original Q in that sense.
Looks aside, I wonder what technical advances this QS-1 will have over the Q7.

..quitely waiting for the Q7 firesales
07-31-2014, 01:33 PM   #24
Pentaxian

The new "knob" is in the IR receiver location. My guess is that it is the IR sensor still, with the knob serving as a finger grip -- all that's needed, really. I hope they weren't so silly as to replace a remote receiver with a selfie button.

Rear screen is pushed a millimeter or two outward versus Q7's. Maybe new "gapless" screen as on k-3?
Attached Images

07-31-2014, 02:52 PM   #25

Hmmm, I don't own a Q but love the concept! If I had the money I'd be all over one as pocket companion to my k30. Whilst I think some kind of viewfinder or tilt screen would be awsome, Pentax have to be careful that they don't bulk the camera up. Keeping its small size is a bigger priority than adding those features.

Personally what I'd want from Q2 is improved processing so it feels as responsive, quick and more like a DSLR. Also, a reasonable price; it has to be priced to compete with advanced compact cameras and not other mirror less cameras. I also think they need to focus on more lenses; particularly something like the 01 (which seems to have disappeared) a decent small prime which helps take full advantage of the cameras diminutive size and get the best out of picture quality.

Edit: I pressed submit accidentally before I finished my post!
07-31-2014, 03:57 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DanGleabols Quote
........... Whilst I think some kind of viewfinder or tilt screen would be awsome, Pentax have to be careful that they don't bulk the camera up. Keeping its small size is a bigger priority than adding those features.

Personally what I'd want from Q2 is improved processing so it feels as responsive, quick and more like a DSLR. Also, a reasonable price; it has to be priced to compete with advanced compact cameras and not other mirror less cameras. I also think they need to focus on more lenses; particularly something like the 01 (which seems to have disappeared) a decent small prime which helps take full advantage of the cameras diminutive size and get the best out of picture quality.

Edit: I pressed submit accidentally before I finished my post!
I agree!! My wish list would be for a nice 1.8 - 8.0 prime equivalent to about 70-75mm for around $175. I'm saying that while waiting for my 06 to arrive.

Denny
07-31-2014, 04:20 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
that looks really nice, good to see they are returning to the Q-like classic body
after the sad drop shouldered effort of the 10 &7
07-31-2014, 04:31 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by oscaletrains Quote
Frankly, it looks like CRAP to me...but we will all probably have to buy one eventually.
Honestly, I thought the original Q was horribly ugly when I first saw it - but then I got one (and then another) and found that, despite it's limitations, the Q could possibly be the most fun camera out of the 40 or 50 that I've every owned - certainly not the best, fastest, most versatile, or the one with the best image quality, but when you're just looking to have some fun it's hard to beat. I usually leave my K5 at home and take the Q, which I know is a shame...

there hasn't been any reason for me to get a Q10 or Q7, so I don't really see that I'll get the QS1, but who knows. if the autofocus is MUCH faster and more accurate, then that could be enough for me to pop on one.

like everyone else here, what I really want is more Q primes!
07-31-2014, 05:25 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I figured the main reason they went back to a body similar to the original Q was they got threatened by all those folks in Hong Kong and China who make those leather and fake leather camera cases. Their case designs were based on the original Q and the Q10 and Q7 do not fit quite as well and they are loosing sales. But now they are going to have to make that sensor hole bigger.

That’s my theory and I’m sticking to it.

Denny
08-01-2014, 07:14 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Interesting, but I'm working on putting the brakes on my gear lust. I'm content with my original Q, 01 + 06 lenses, Pentax PK-PQ adapter, and several nice PK mount lenses. I can use my PK lenses on my Q, K-30, NEX-5R, and NEX-6. I think I'm good on cameras for quite a while!