Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2014, 09:33 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Still think the ur-Q was the best-looking (and probably best-constructed)...this looks more like a slightly more retro makeover. Don't know whether that new knob on the front is a grip or an e-dial, guess we'll see.

Hopefully at the very least they'll throw us a bone and include a higher-res rear LCD (>= 920K). This doesn't look likely to be the premium Q body I've been hoping for.

08-01-2014, 10:51 AM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by TonyTurley Quote
Interesting, but I'm working on putting the brakes on my gear lust. I'm content with my original Q, 01 + 06 lenses, Pentax PK-PQ adapter, and several nice PK mount lenses. I can use my PK lenses on my Q, K-30, NEX-5R, and NEX-6. I think I'm good on cameras for quite a while!

Yea...nice thought. But that train of thought only lasts a little while!
08-01-2014, 05:38 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by oscaletrains Quote
Yea...nice thought. But that train of thought only lasts a little while!
lol
08-03-2014, 10:28 PM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Latest pic shows 1/1.7" sensor still.
photorumours.com

08-04-2014, 03:25 AM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
photorumours.com
Looks good to me. Just can't get over that knob thing on the left...
08-04-2014, 04:47 AM   #36

Wonder if it allows the front dial to be swapped over, from left to right, for single hand action?
08-04-2014, 05:58 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I really hope that second nob/dial is not there as a grip because it looks a little stupid. I'd much rather the grip was more integrated into the camera and house the IR receiver in a more conventional way.

But then I have my Q in a leather half-case so it's moot point on the original Q for me.

08-04-2014, 08:05 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
photorumours.com

hmm... I was hoping for a larger sensor that had enough mp to use the existing lenses in crop mode at about 8-12mp.
The competition have not rested on their laurels and things have moved a lot for the advanced compacts segment in the past 1-2yrs.
Then again, sensor size is ok, so long as they have the lenses.

I think the new button has to do with the "S1" designation.
I fear its something real silly like when we were speculating about the K3 hump having the ability to morph into an Autobot, but end up just being a mic port .....
08-04-2014, 05:18 PM   #39
Forum Member

Original Poster
Full details on the new Q-S1 have been released. Pretty disappointing imo as it is just like the Q7 same sensor and resolution but uglier and with that stupid knob grip. Also still using the archaic 460k display when it needs 920k or better imo. No viewfinder or viewfinder add on mentioned so another missed opportunity there.

Pentax Q-S1 mirrorless camera officially announced | Photo Rumors
08-04-2014, 05:24 PM   #40
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hoffo Quote
Full details on the new Q-S1 have been released. Pretty disappointing imo as it is just like the Q7 same sensor and resolution but uglier and with that stupid knob grip. Also still using the archaic 460k display when it needs 920k or better imo. No viewfinder or viewfinder add on mentioned so another missed opportunity there.

Pentax Q-S1 mirrorless camera officially announced | Photo Rumors
Re: Q-S1
See Pentax/Ricoh Website,full specs and ready for pre-order.
Nothing really new.Very disapointing.
08-04-2014, 07:45 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Was wishing for more. Wonder if the knob can be removed? It doesn't add to the looks of the camera imho.
Now I don't know whether to get a Q7 or this. Will wait after Photokina to decide.

Not worried, there is still Photokina. Pentax obviously doesn't consider this one of their main events. If they did it would have been nearer Photokina. Pentax may not show anything else Q wise, who knows. There is still the macro lens to look forward to, and maybe some K stuff.
thanks
barondla
08-05-2014, 02:47 AM   #42

Well unless I'm missing something, these specs for the camera look remarkably like a Q7 with little change I've noticed. Oh well :-(

Q-S1 | RICOH IMAGING

---------- Post added 05-08-14 at 11:17 AM ----------

Is the new front "button" just the IR sensor but packaged in such a way to allow those pieces of string you get stuck to a lens cap to hook round it? To prevent you loosing the cap?

J
08-05-2014, 04:29 AM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by jethro10 Quote
Well unless I'm missing something, these specs for the camera look remarkably like a Q7 with little change I've noticed. Oh well :-(

Q-S1 | RICOH IMAGING

---------- Post added 05-08-14 at 11:17 AM ----------

Is the new front "button" just the IR sensor but packaged in such a way to allow those pieces of string you get stuck to a lens cap to hook round it? To prevent you loosing the cap?

J
On that page, there's a part under news saying PENTAX Q-S1 Color Simulator. If you look, it looks like front panels are interchangable. Would the "knob" be a way of locking them onto the camera?
08-05-2014, 05:10 AM   #44

I don't understand why they make this "new" camera?
No brighter LCD, no tiltable LCD, no more defined LCD, no sensitive LCD, (probably) no new sensor, no new movie possibility, no new mode, no built-in wifi, no GPS, no dual SD slot, no new AF system, no higher ISO....
So what is new in this Q-S1 compared to Q7? I can only see new body. There are no more engineers in Pentax, just designers?

Last edited by morane_j; 08-05-2014 at 05:15 AM.
08-05-2014, 06:16 AM   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by morane_j Quote
I don't understand why they make this "new" camera?
No brighter LCD, no tiltable LCD, no more defined LCD, no sensitive LCD, (probably) no new sensor, no new movie possibility, no new mode, no built-in wifi, no GPS, no dual SD slot, no new AF system, no higher ISO....
So what is new in this Q-S1 compared to Q7? I can only see new body. There are no more engineers in Pentax, just designers?
Good point...