Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2014, 12:21 AM   #16

6BQ5 Makes a very good point. In average to good light, the Q7 range is quite Ok.
I did consider a nikon J series for better iq at the time but the controls in the camera were not very good at all-the Q's are all excellent here.
J

08-02-2014, 04:50 AM   #17

If your still interested, specifically OOC jpg.
This one was taken on a dull day, very overcast with low white cloud - so sky not as blown out as it seems.
I pulled up on the road in the car, pointed camera backwards out of window, clicked on Auto, then drove on, all in a few seconds.
08 lens, Q7. Saturated a bit, a tad sharpening, cropped my car side out all in gimp. Took what, 30 seconds to do.
not the best by far, but both the picture taking and editing took a few seconds.

08-02-2014, 06:58 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jethro10 Quote
I did consider a nikon J series for better iq at the time but the controls in the camera were not very good at all-the Q's are all excellent here.

J

Jethro makes a good point about the controls and available shooting modes. The Q is like a mini-DSLR and the earlier Nikon J series is more of a point and shoot (no Av mode, for instance). I don't know what Nikon had done with the recent models.

The J series can record videos at wickedly high frame rates which makes slow motion playback very interesting. Do a YouTube video search.
08-04-2014, 05:11 AM   #19

Original Poster
I am still reading into this and researching, but it's just getting over the top. There was an article about psychology (and camera purchasing), with two camps identified, a maximiser, and a satisficer. The Maximiser is someone who will constantly compare, research past the norm, and then compare after purchasing, never feeling happy with the purchase, whilst the satisficer seems, I guess (based on the name) satisfied with a bit of research, walking into a camera shop, and walking out with a camera.

I'm guessing from it, I'm a maximiser. Not good.

I'm trying to keep my budget as low as possible, and as I want an 01, I think I might try and pick up a Q, as the cost of a 01 lens is around 120, while a Q with 01 is around 130-ish. 15 for a body that I can then eventually resell, if I get the Q7 abroad, plus I have the 01 (and the later Qs come with an 02 lens).

I think that's the best route. If it goes pear shaped, I imagine it will resell for the same amount.

08-04-2014, 08:08 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I did it a little differently, the kit I got was a Q with 02, and I got the 01 later when I found a decent price. Both are good, but the 01 stays on the Q most of the time. It's a fun little camera, you'll enjoy it. Turn off the sounds, and it's great for groups etc. It's a lot less intimidating than a DSLR.
08-04-2014, 12:07 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The leaf shutters in the Q lenses is ridiculously quiet, even for a quiet camera! Use the electronic shutter and you are in muted smartphone camera territory.
08-13-2014, 08:25 AM   #22

Original Poster
Hi, Just wanted to update the good people who gave me advise.

I have a second hand Pentax Q with prime winging it's way to me tomorrow. Looking forward to using it on my lunch break! (must remember to take an SD card!)

I was between an Fuji X10 (I love range finders) and the Q, but the thing is, for 110, it is (I guess! *gulp*) throw away money for what seems like a very fun camera. If the worst gets to the worst, I can pass it to my GF to use, or sell it back on for the same price I paid for it (110).

Now it's a mad dash to get accessories. Case/screen protector/several hundred batteries etc! :P
08-13-2014, 01:20 PM   #23
Veteran Member

The Q + 01 is a nice combo.
If you don't like to PP play with the in camera filters via the front wheel.
The high contrast B&W is great for street shots.

Overall the Q series I find tends to run a bit over exposed, so to get best dynamic range possiblities I usually shoot about a stop negative exposure.

08-14-2014, 02:53 AM   #24

Original Poster
It's arrived.

IT IS SO SMALL. That is all.
08-14-2014, 08:53 AM   #25

Original Poster
From a quick play, it seems all good, needs updating (firmware 1.0), and looks like the LCD screen is a little sluggish when moving the camera around, but so far so good. I need to do the firmware update, and then set the camera up.

Are there any setup guides? Suggestions for the front dial, etc?
08-14-2014, 09:32 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ritualnet Quote
Are there any setup guides? Suggestions for the front dial, etc?
settings - Search Results - PentaxForums.com
08-14-2014, 12:50 PM   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Hi, thank you. I did search for setup and set up but couldn't find what I was looking for, but I was looking at posts maybe, rather than forum threads?
08-14-2014, 01:04 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ritualnet Quote
Hi, thank you. I did search for setup and set up but couldn't find what I was looking for, but I was looking at posts maybe, rather than forum threads?
Yes I find easier to search on threads, and only in thread title (check the box.)
Otherwise it takes too long to wade through the posts.
Google also indexes our posts so you can always try that and it may point you back here.

Now that I look at my link it doesn't resolve properly.
Do this - go to the Q forum then search on threads, thread title, for 'settings'
Attached Images