Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2014, 01:53 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just For The Fun of It

As I noted in the blog on my WEB site, my first camera was a Crystar film camera shown in the first image on the right next to the book of matches. Because I pestered them, Mom and Dad purchased one for me in the 1950ís just to shut me up.

Several months ago I was researching the Crystar cameras when I discovered the Pentax Q series which led me to purchase a used Q, then a Q10 and now a Q7. That research also led me to another camera, the 5.1MP Minox Digital Classic Camera (shown in the middle). I really enjoy getting out and shooting with my Q7 and have been asked several times about its small size and capabilities. You all probably have had similar experiences. However, while I am not a street shooter, and admire those who are, I really get a kick out of aiming the Minox at people in a public environment. They think it is a toy and several folks have actually started to laugh about it. One lady asked me if they were available in the souvenir shop. I have started to carry the Minox with me when I go out with the Q. When someone comments on the size of the Q7 I say heck this is my BIG camera. Then, I pull the Minox out of my pocket and show them my little camera. They make for great conversation with strangers. Despite the fact that it has a 5.1 MP sensor which takes cell phone quality images, the 5.1MP Minox DCC it is not a serious camera but sometimes you just have to do something for the fun of it.

I wish it was cooler and I could get out and do some shooting in the park.

Denny

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K110D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K110D  Photo 
08-03-2014, 02:51 PM   #2
Forum Member

I love those little Minox cameras! In fact, I love them so much I bought three of them including the DSC (Digital Spy Camera).

Build quality is quite nice, but the image quality really is quite poor. If you buy them cheaply for the novelty value you'll be happy, but if you're expecting decent pictures from them you'll be sorely disappointed, especially if you pay full price for them.

08-03-2014, 03:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ah!! I love it. On the 5.1 we can use the rear LCD screen for composing the image as well as reviewing the picture once it is taken. I was looking at the earlier models such as the middle one in your photo and I was wondering what do you use for composing the image? How do you see the picture on the earlier model? Do you have to wait till you download them into yer computer? I am assuming that the top model is one of the film camera's. I went back and reread your message and I now see that the top spy camera is also digital.

Denny
08-03-2014, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #4
Forum Member

The middle one has an optical viewfinder or you can use the LCD screen on the back, same as on the bottom one. The top one has a tiny optical viewfinder, or you can attach a combined flash/LCD screen unit to the side of it, but that doubles its size and to my mind defeats the point of having that small in the first place. It also has a tiny LED flash built into it which you can see at the far right in my picture. I'd love to get hold of the old fashioned style bracket flash that's available for the bottom two but I've never see it being sold seperatley on eBay, only as part of a full kit.

08-03-2014, 07:35 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have watched these digital Minox cameras since the day they were introduced. Every time I think about buying one I see a review that slams picture quality. How much worse are they compared to the Q? Last time I looked the Minox was $200. I can find a Q10 for less.

Love small cameras. Have Minox B film spy camera. Also original Pentax A110. A Minox digital would be cool. Doesn't hurt that it is a copy of the Leica I own. You guys are costing me money.
thanks
barondla
08-03-2014, 07:47 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I got my 5.1MP Minox Digital Classic Camera in the wooden presentation box along with all the booklets, charger and cable for $89 plus $9 for shipping. I have since seen one sell on Ebay for $119. Here is a sample image shot from a distance of about 3 feet. It has been downsized for easier posting.

Denny
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
COACH  Photo 
08-04-2014, 01:49 AM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
I have watched these digital Minox cameras since the day they were introduced. Every time I think about buying one I see a review that slams picture quality. How much worse are they compared to the Q?
In simple terms the Q blows these little Minox cameras out of the water. I suspect that any cheap modern digital compact will take better pictures, although the results in good light are quite acceptable. Personally speaking I think that if you can accept it as a nicely made novelty, a collectors piece, or as CWR has said a good talking point you will enjoy having one. I paid around £50 each for them secondhand on eBay. If you're expecting high quality pictures from them then I think you'll be disappointed.
08-04-2014, 09:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
Just For The Fun of It As I noted in the blog on my WEB site, my first camera was a Crystar film camera shown in the first image on the right next to the book of matches. Because I pestered them, Mom and Dad purchased one for me in the 1950’s just to shut me up. Several months ago I was researching the Crystar cameras when I discovered the Pentax Q series which led me to purchase a used Q, then a Q10 and now a Q7. That research also led me to another camera, the 5.1MP Minox Digital Classic Camera (shown in the middle). I really enjoy getting out and shooting with my Q7 and have been asked several times about its small size and capabilities. You all probably have had similar experiences. However, while I am not a street shooter, and admire those who are, I really get a kick out of aiming the Minox at people in a public environment. They think it is a toy and several folks have actually started to laugh about it. One lady asked me if they were available in the souvenir shop. I have started to carry the Minox with me when I go out with the Q. When someone comments on the size of the Q7 I say heck this is my BIG camera. Then, I pull the Minox out of my pocket and show them my little camera. They make for great conversation with strangers. Despite the fact that it has a 5.1 MP sensor which takes cell phone quality images, the 5.1MP Minox DCC it is not a serious camera but sometimes you just have to do something for the fun of it. I wish it was cooler and I could get out and do some shooting in the park. Denny
Why does the middle camera have a film advance lever?

08-04-2014, 10:45 AM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Why does the middle camera have a film advance lever?
The Minox digital cameras are replicas of old Leica designs. The only buttons that actually perform any function are the shutter button and the three buttons on the rear to the right of the LCD screen.