Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2014, 10:27 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
I am particularly fascinated by some of the B&W street shots I have seen here.

Denny
Those are the exact type of shots that made me consider buying a Q series lens and using the Q body for more than my initial intent as a fun superzoom adapter. If the toy telephoto and toy wide were proper, variable aperture, fast primes the Q would be a crazy unobtrusive "street shooter". Add "the thinnest tilt screen on the market" and you have a super crazy cool street shooter that could have mitigated some of the initial sticker shock. I know I'm not the first to bring up these questions. Which leads me to wonder....

How come people like those here on pentaxforums.com aren't running Pentax?

And the world. Bwaahahahahaha!!!!

See what I did up there?

Hint
Hint
Hint

Just sayin'.

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 08-09-2014 at 10:33 AM.
08-09-2014, 11:56 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
Even with the Q7's improved sensor several opinions I've read seem to indicate the Q lenses are the weak point, (those "tolerances" you mentioned?) although the 01 Prime is pointed out as being the best match. It's a prime after all; better IQ as a result. If the Q7 sensor is indeed the same as the MX-1 then there is little excuse for the Q7 to not be a better camera in many circumstances; the MX-1 can produce some surprisingly good images becuase it has a really good lens up front. As I've stated elsewhere the whole Q thing is just confusing to me. I really opened up a personal can of worms when I bought my "superzoom adapter".
Yup, just the fact that you can remove and change lenses means that things aren't quite as tight as with a fixed-lens camera. I'm guessing that this is more noticeable with a camera of the Q's pixel density than an APS-C camera.

I'd be more interested in the Q if there were available lenses that are outside the scope of other compacts, and priced sensibly (IMO).
08-09-2014, 12:18 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I'd be more interested in the Q if there were available lenses that are outside the scope of other compacts, and priced sensibly (IMO).
I picked up the 03 Fisheye for about 70 new from Japan. I don't think there are any other compact cameras that can take a fisheye lens, and I think the prices you can pick them up for now are pretty good value for money.
08-09-2014, 12:33 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AldaCZ Quote
It wasn't the speed or focusing, they are fine but colours were always off and it lacked fine details. I'm not saying it is a bad camera but it isn't for me. I liked it's form factor.
Well, when I received my original Q I initially felt the same about the detail, colour was fine but details were not as I'd hoped - UNTIL I started shooting RAW. Then he Q really shone.
Yes the write speed when shooting RAW is much slower, but the results are well worth it imho. I was actually blown away by the difference. There was detail and depth I never expected.
The Q was my 'go to' camera for several months, even though I had a K-7 and K-01.
I bought the 06 lens and though build quality is a little cheap feeling I was amazed at the IQ and reach.
What really disappointed me was the switch to plastic bodies and a less appealing design for the Q10 and Q7 - totally unattractive to me. The new Q-S1 looks better than 10 & 7, but still not better than the original imho, and again it's plastic - which is just a great shame. They also really should have added the tilting screen.
I won't be upgrading, the original Q still is the best as far as I am concerned.

08-10-2014, 09:52 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 35millimeter Quote
I picked up the 03 Fisheye for about 70 new from Japan. I don't think there are any other compact cameras that can take a fisheye lens, and I think the prices you can pick them up for now are pretty good value for money.
Hmm, I hadn't considered that. Thank you for enlightening me!

I compared the Q7 with the MX-1 on Imaging-Resource's Comparometer, and the MX-1 absolutely killed the Q7. But then I looked at the comparison images on DPR, and the results were very close. So maybe the standard zoom is better than I'm giving it credit for?
08-10-2014, 08:49 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmm, I hadn't considered that. Thank you for enlightening me!

I hadn't either. It's inexpensive enough to give a try perhaps. It's a bit large, though, isn't it?

I compared the Q7 with the MX-1 on Imaging-Resource's Comparometer, and the MX-1 absolutely killed the Q7.

What really surprised me was the comparison of the MX-1 with the Q at ISO 100 and ISO 125, respectively.

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 08-11-2014 at 01:22 AM.