Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2014, 11:51 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
I must be really bad off, not being able to tell. I can pick up and use the Q and then do the same with the Q10 and I cannot tell any difference between the two, other than color.

08-10-2014, 11:55 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by oscaletrains Quote
I must be really bad off, not being able to tell. I can pick up and use the Q and then do the same with the Q10 and I cannot tell any difference between the two, other than color.
I'm like you, but then I do like wine with a cork, not a screw top. Seems like the metal body is a wines cork!
08-10-2014, 12:06 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by oscaletrains Quote
While I think I do feel a difference (did not try with Q vs Q10 but Q vs. other compacts and K200 vs K5) I would not be surprised if it turns out the difference is all in my mind.

On a more serious note though, this thread had me thinking about how much stronger aluminium actually is, compared to good modern plastic? The Q10/Q7 body is not made of that carbon fibre stuff, as far as I know, but there are other plastics out there which are quite durable.

Does anybody know what the Qs are mad of? ABS?
08-10-2014, 01:15 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by jethro10 Quote
I'm like you, but then I do like wine with a cork, not a screw top. Seems like the metal body is a wines cork!
Yep, cork it is!

08-10-2014, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter

While indeed I do like the "feel" of the Q better than the Q7 it has no bearing on how durable either one is compared to the other. Last year while out and about the brand new expansive hand strap broke on the Q and it hit the road from about 3 feet (I was getting out of a car) Both the Q and the 02 were toast but there wasn't even a scratch on the camera or the lens. That tells me it does not matter what the camera is made of, the electronics inside get shook up and that is that. BTW, Pentax wanted more to repair both than what I could buy a new one for.
08-10-2014, 01:36 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are actually tactile benefits to the Q10/Q7 body that I prefer over the Q - such as raised (domed) buttons, the grip shape and the texture body 'covering'.
08-10-2014, 08:56 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Agree with monochrome, the Q10 I used had better buttons. First day I used the Q10 it felt fine. A few days later and it felt less precise to hold. I still like the original Q body better. One other reason I like the original Q is it is the smallest. That turns me off about the new Q-S1. It is bigger than the Q7,Q10. They are bigger than the Q. Waiting for Photokina. Could be surprised.
thanks
barondla

I will still add a newer model Q to collection.
08-13-2014, 06:35 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
While indeed I do like the "feel" of the Q better than the Q7 it has no bearing on how durable either one is compared to the other. Last year while out and about the brand new expansive hand strap broke on the Q and it hit the road from about 3 feet (I was getting out of a car) Both the Q and the 02 were toast but there wasn't even a scratch on the camera or the lens. That tells me it does not matter what the camera is made of, the electronics inside get shook up and that is that. BTW, Pentax wanted more to repair both than what I could buy a new one for.
That is correct -- that the electrical components in these small items are what gets fritzed if you drop or knock them. I dropped an 02, it was unscratched, but it was toast, and clearly it was the electronics. These are focus-by-wire items. And they are not going to be repaired. No doubt they are finicky to assemble even on the workbenches where they are manufactured, nearly all by hand. It's just not cost effective to repair or even offer repair, and C.R.I.S. in Arizona doesn't make the attempt. Just be careful and don't drop them. I've dropped Pentax SLR/DSLRs and they have been fine. These will break.

In spite of all that, the Q system is what I grab when leaving the house. Even if I take the K-3 or K-30, I take the Q7 also.

---------- Post added 08-13-14 at 09:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
There are actually tactile benefits to the Q10/Q7 body that I prefer over the Q - such as raised (domed) buttons, the grip shape and the texture body 'covering'.
I agree that the Q7 grip is perfect for the camera. Design overruled practicality with the "knob" on the Q-S1. I appreciate that Pentax did a design refresh to get more users into Q-land, but I'll be waiting for the Q-S2.

08-13-2014, 08:27 AM   #24

I'd imagine the original Pentax Q in a sock would make more impact than the Pentax Q10/Q7 :P
08-13-2014, 01:43 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Guess I'm a lucky one, then. I've thrown my first Q into rocks, parking lots and other stuff a couple of times.
Got some nice dents in the metal of the house and the lenses I used (CS-mounts) at the time of the accidents.
Camera's still working though...

Thanks/Erik
08-13-2014, 01:54 PM   #26
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Erich_H Quote
I've thrown my first Q into rocks, parking lots and other stuff a couple of times.
You know you're not supposed to use it far a Hacky Sack, right?
08-13-2014, 02:03 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
But what happens when your drone crash-lands?
08-13-2014, 02:04 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I've no excuses except the beer in belly makes cameras slippery-one...
Besides, I've got two spares.

thanks/Erik
08-13-2014, 04:26 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
But what happens when your drone crash-lands?
In a geyser! Tourist crashes drone in Yellowstone hot spring - CNN.com
08-13-2014, 04:45 PM   #30
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote

I agree that the Q7 grip is perfect for the camera. Design overruled practicality with the "knob" on the Q-S1. I appreciate that Pentax did a design refresh to get more users into Q-land, but I'll be waiting for the Q-S2.
Personally I think the Q-S1 will be marketed as a fashion accessory similar to how the iPhone is marketed, making it a sort of experiment for Pentax, and the next Q will be named Q5 which would follow their trend in naming cameras.

Denny