Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2014, 06:40 PM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jethro10 Quote
I'm like you, but then I do like wine with a cork, not a screw top. Seems like the metal body is a wines cork!
Drink your wine from a plastic glass, then a crystal one, and you will have your answer.

08-13-2014, 11:30 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
While indeed I do like the "feel" of the Q better than the Q7 it has no bearing on how durable either one is compared to the other. Last year while out and about the brand new expansive hand strap broke on the Q and it hit the road from about 3 feet (I was getting out of a car) Both the Q and the 02 were toast but there wasn't even a scratch on the camera or the lens. That tells me it does not matter what the camera is made of, the electronics inside get shook up and that is that. BTW, Pentax wanted more to repair both than what I could buy a new one for.
This is a good point I think. Mechanical cameras with metal bodies were rather more durable than their plastic counterparts as these changes started taking place. Today, however, cameras are almost completely electronic; the Q body sans lens is not a mechanical instrument at all. I think, sadly, that an advertised "all metal body" is nothing more than marketing that appeals to nostalgic notions about camera durability in the mechanical past rather than the electronic reality of today.
08-14-2014, 10:02 AM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
This is a good point I think. Mechanical cameras with metal bodies were rather more durable than their plastic counterparts as these changes started taking place. Today, however, cameras are almost completely electronic; the Q body sans lens is not a mechanical instrument at all. I think, sadly, that an advertised "all metal body" is nothing more than marketing that appeals to nostalgic notions about camera durability in the mechanical past rather than the electronic reality of today.
Actually from an engineering perspective a metal bodied camera will transfer more of the impact, vibrations and shock to the internals when compared to one of the Polycarbonate bodied cameras. In other words if you have the dropsy’s a metal body camera is probably not your best bet.

As far as the older cameras. Yes some, such as the early Nikons or Pentax Spotmatic, were more durable however they were also much less complicated. The shutters and internal mechanisms were not as fragile as current offerings. But then they were not as fast, not as small and quite heavy. ( Of course some of the new full frame Nikon and Canon camera’s have gotten unacceptably big and needlessly heavy and should probably come with a trial membership in a local gym. However, in case of an emergency those camera’s
make great boat anchors.)

As camera’s got more complex these durability considerations were compromised in favor of marketable features to satisfy the photo enthuesist. To draw a comparison, a Ford Model A is significantly more durable than any of the current Ford offerings. While considering how relatively few were made, there are a lot of Model A’s around in various configurations. I doubt there will be any 2014 Fords around 90 years from now in the year 2104. If Ford built their current cars like the Model A they would be out of business. Basically the more “crap” (technical term there) you put into any device the less reliable it becomes.

If this camera was made out of metal it would not have survived the first drop.

Denny
08-14-2014, 10:24 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
As far as the older cameras. Yes some, such as the early Nikons or Pentax Spotmatic, were more durable however they were also much less complicated.
That's why I have two early 70's rangefinders and two mid-70's mechanical SLRs. When the K2000, K30, Q, and MX-1 have all failed electronically (unlikely to be replaced) those four old cameras will probably still be going strong.

08-14-2014, 12:54 PM   #35
Veteran Member

That's why I have two early 70's rangefinders and two mid-70's mechanical SLRs. When the K2000, K30, Q, and MX-1 have all failed electronically (unlikely to be replaced) those four old cameras will probably still be going strong.
The film and processing materials may not be around but at least the shutters will click.
08-14-2014, 03:50 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
The film and processing materials may not be around but at least the shutters will click.
Film and analog photography "going away" was the predominant theory for quite some time but the past couple of years seems to indicate that film will be a viable medium for years to come. If traditional film were to go away, analog photography would still continue. There would still be people home brewing emulsions for plates, mixing their own chemicals for processing, and using analog cameras to take pictures. In the commercial world digital photography is here to stay. In the "art world" film photography is here to stay. In the consumer world consumers eat whatever gruel is fed to them.

The silver gelatin dry plate process

TheLightFarm - Dry Plate

Introduction to Traditional Plate Camera Photography

Darkroom/Traditional B&W Film & Wet Plate Photography

Wet Plate Collodion Process
08-14-2014, 05:18 PM - 1 Like   #37

You're so right! My old Leica M2 [made in 1958, I think...] could be used as a substitute for a sledgehammer.
And it still works [clicks...].

But I haven't been using it for ages ... now, however, I've ordered a LM-to-Q adapter from China.
So eventually my Summicron will get to expose something again...

thanks/Erik
08-15-2014, 07:59 AM   #38
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
CWRailman makes a good point about the transfer of impact. As much as I like the Q alloy body I've thought from day one if dropped once..... instant Pentax paperweight.

I never let my camera killing son near a metal bodied anything. He's generally restricted to the impact resistant polycarbonate clad WG-2 for good reason.

08-15-2014, 09:53 AM - 1 Like   #39

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Drink your wine from a plastic glass, then a crystal one, and you will have your answer.
Doesn't matter what I drink it out of, i DRINK it, not sip it, so it is not in the glass long enough to matter...
08-16-2014, 05:23 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's the feel of craftsmanship and the psychological stuff it brings. Metalworking is an old craft that has been with human kind for ages and ages and is still well-respected. Plastics feels like "cheating" without even thinking about it since it's not associated with the same level of craftsmanship.

There is a reason why I got three Voigtländer bodies despite them being weird and clumsy to use. They just feels more like handcrafted jewelry or exclusive watches than mass-produced consumer products. Association is everything when it comes to design, things associated with nice things will feel better than things associated with cheap stuff.
09-02-2014, 09:00 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam G Quote
More seriously, I have read some wishes from forum members here that Pentax would release some kind of "pro" Q body, something with a blisteringly fast burst mode (Nikon 1-style), built-in portrait grip with a monstrous battery (would still be small relative to any other non-Q camera), a high quality EVF, and of course, a magnesium alloy body that can take one hell of a beating. And it's not like newspapers need larger-sensor IQ anyway, so although this is a very specific niche to target, within this niche this seems like an ideal solution.

Doesn't take "my sensor is bigger than yours" egos into account though. And I fear that one factor would kill it outright.
I would love that too, but I think it would be far to expensive to justify creating. Max I would pay for something like that would be $600. If you look at what the Nikon 1 or other mirrorless offerings offer the consumer the Q is quite far behind the pack. The AF is mind boggling slow, even on the Q7 compared to it's competition, the FPS is really slow, the image processing is slow. The IQ can match or exceed some of the competitors in my opinion (was not at all impressed with the J1 when I had one), in size, weight, fun factor, and user interface is just as good as a mid-grade DSLR's.

Even if it was a polycarbonate body, if they went out and put in a decent image processor to get the speed up to say 9fps and not have to wait a year to see the images, put in flucard compatibilty or even integrate wifi, allow use of the GPS/astrotracer, use the hybrid AF system other mirrorless cameras are using and get it to the point where it's at least comparable to OMD EM5, give me dual control dials, optional add on EVF, and an add on front grip (ala Pentax LX models) then we would be talking a really cool camera....that no one would understand.

I would rather they put the money into upgrading the SDM lenses to have something resembling quick autofocus

That being said, I do prefer the metal body of my original Q over the Q7.

Yes, the Q7 still is incredibly solid, and aside from the "Cold" feeling of the original Q, the Q7 feels just as solid and just as well built. That being said, I find a strap on these things are just a pain, so they are pocket cameras for me sitting in my hoodie, or a small pocket in my bag. Sometimes a carabiner and it hangs off my hip or a loop on my bag...whatever. So it gets banged around a lot! My original Q has quite a few knocks and bumps that make it look like it's seen decades of use. My Q7 is starting to get banged up a bit, even though I've only used it a 1/4 as much... in fact I almost prefer the original Q for some reason for operating and editing... but can't put my finger on why... So I'm worried that the plastic casing isn't going to take the abuse I put it through.

Last edited by Wired; 09-02-2014 at 09:32 AM.