Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2014, 12:46 AM   #1

Why is the Q metal body so important to some

I See this a lot
I have aQ7. it's solid, well formed, feels fine.
I'm not sure why the material, that is underneath the paint! Matters at all.
I have felt a Q. All I though at the time was it was a different shape. No more no less.
My Q7 body is likely to last longer than my likelihood of holding off buying a Q15 or whatever comes in the next few years.

J

08-10-2014, 01:22 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No idea. Although I also have the original Q, the Q7 is a much better camera. I couldn't care less what the body is made of.
08-10-2014, 01:33 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Why does it matter to you that it matters to others? What's your point in starting this thread, really?
Everyone has a [personal] preference, no need to make it sound like those who do prefer the feel of mag'alloy are somehow being shallow.
You could ask the same of K-7/K-5/K-3 owners.
08-10-2014, 02:15 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Why does it matter to you that what matters to others matters to him?

Now, were I tutoring a non-English speaker, I'd be loathe to explain the grammar behind that little beastie.

08-10-2014, 03:56 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

If it matters to him that it matters to others yet matters less to some,
Then the matter at hand is why it matters to him - unless he just posted for fun.. :P
08-10-2014, 04:01 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Why does it matter to you that it matters to others? What's your point in starting this thread, really?
Everyone has a [personal] preference, no need to make it sound like those who do prefer the feel of mag'alloy are somehow being shallow.
Well Mr Ledger why the hell does it matter to you if it matters to me or not. I live me life like I want to not how Mr Ledger feels is important.
So please Mr Ledger if you have nothing pleasant to say about me, just butt the heck out of my life.

That said I find it intriguing. If it wasn't for curiosity we wouldn't have scientist, heart machines, cameras! Etc. I'm a curious person, it makes me what I am, it makes me good at my job as a software developer.

My initial question remains however. It seems so important to people, in just interested why......

---------- Post added 10-08-14 at 12:04 PM ----------

if you read it again, I said you feel paint not metal so the underlying material seems of no consequence.

Last edited by jethro10; 08-10-2014 at 04:34 AM.
08-10-2014, 04:18 AM   #7

More seriously, I have read some wishes from forum members here that Pentax would release some kind of "pro" Q body, something with a blisteringly fast burst mode (Nikon 1-style), built-in portrait grip with a monstrous battery (would still be small relative to any other non-Q camera), a high quality EVF, and of course, a magnesium alloy body that can take one hell of a beating. And it's not like newspapers need larger-sensor IQ anyway, so although this is a very specific niche to target, within this niche this seems like an ideal solution.

Doesn't take "my sensor is bigger than yours" egos into account though. And I fear that one factor would kill it outright.
08-10-2014, 04:39 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam G Quote
More seriously, I have read some wishes from forum members here that Pentax would release some kind of "pro" Q body.
Yeah, I can understand the "pro" thing if it was a professional style camera, used al lday every day to make a living, these guys (or gals) probably get a lifetimes average use in a camera in a few months and anything that increaes the life of the camera would be well worth it (if indeed the chassis material does that?).
But to hobbyists, it seems meaningless. If Aluminium is more expensive, and that seems to be the point, I'd rather have the "luxury" of that money being spent on performance in some way or other, not the "luxury" of the material underneath the paint.

08-10-2014, 07:27 AM   #9

The natural expectation is that a metal body would be stronger and much more resilient to damage than plastic. if you've seen the image of the original Q chassis, which can be viewed here Pentax Q System Camera - In Detail you may begin to understand why some have a preference based on this expectation. now, i do not know if anyone has tested the two to determine the relative strength of each Q body, but yes, I would guess that the original Q would likely be proven to be the stronger

another reason why one would prefer a metal body camera to plastic is good weight in the hand. many photographers prefer some weight to their cameras to aid in steady handling.

Also, I might go as far as to say that the weight of a camera has a psychological effect as well as a practical one - it communicates substance and durability, quality of materials and construction, and justification for its price point - all good features that can aid in the marketing of a camera. this psychological element might not affect everyone, of course. it is my assumption that the move to polycarbonate was to bring material and manufacturing costs, and therefore, retail pricing down in an effort to sell more units and keep the system alive.

I've held a Q7 and was surprised at how solid and hefty it was. i wasn't expecting that. I would still prefer a metal bodied camera to polycarbonate for some of the reasons stated above, but there is no reason anyone should feel their Q10 or Q7 isn't a capable camera. in the end, if we're happy with our gear and it works to our satisfaction, then that is enough.
08-10-2014, 07:49 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Why does it matter to you that what matters to others matters to him?

Now, were I tutoring a non-English speaker, I'd be loathe to explain the grammar behind that little beastie.
If it matters to him that it matters to others yet matters less to some,
Then the matter at hand is why it matters to him - unless he just posted for fun.. :P
QuoteOriginally posted by jethro10 Quote
Well Mr Ledger why the hell does it matter to you if it matters to me or not. I live me life like I want to not how Mr Ledger feels is important.
So please Mr Ledger if you have nothing pleasant to say about me, just butt the heck out of my life.

That said I find it intriguing. If it wasn't for curiosity we wouldn't have scientist, heart machines, cameras! Etc. I'm a curious person, it makes me what I am, it makes me good at my job as a software developer.

My initial question remains however. It seems so important to people, in just interested why......

---------- Post added 10-08-14 at 12:04 PM ----------

if you read it again, I said you feel paint not metal so the underlying material seems of no consequence.
What really matters is that the OP asked a legitimate question. We have no requirement here that members read and respond to every thread, but we do have rules regarding snarky, infammatory replies. If you think the thread doesn't meet your standards of legitimacy then (I know this may sound like a crazy idea) don't participate.
08-10-2014, 10:01 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I See this a lot
I have felt a Q. All I though at the time was it was a different shape. No more no less.
My Q7 body is likely to last longer than my likelihood of holding off buying a Q15 or whatever comes in the next few years.

J
To some folks, the tactile sensations are just as important at the results. Once you determine that the resultant image quality is "good enough", you start looking at other aspects of the camera.
08-10-2014, 10:13 AM   #12
Forum Member

I like the weight and feel of metal bodied cameras. As well as the Q I have a Canon G9 and a Ricoh CX2 which are metal bodied and feel like you could probably use them in self defense! That said, I also have a K-500 which is plastic bodied and it feels nice enough to use, albeit it doesn't feel quite as 'indestructable' as the metal bodied cameras I have. I'd love to try a Q10 side by side with my Q just to see how much difference there is in the feel of the two cameras.
08-10-2014, 10:27 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why is the Q metal body so important to some
I suspect that the designers gave the original Q a metal body
to try and diminish the perception of the format as just a toy.

The psychology does work on me.
When I pick up one of my two original Q bodies,
the feel and shape do remind me of my old Leica M2.

On the other hand, for casual APS-C photography,
I prefer the lighter weight of my K-50 to the solid feel of my K5.
08-10-2014, 10:29 AM - 4 Likes   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I See this a lot

J
To really understand why the metal body Q is more important than the other you would need a grasp of some psychological concepts such as perception. Why the Q feels better to some than the Q10 or Q7 is a perception based on that individuals tactile interface with the object. Some people like the feel of metal objects more than plastic, or in this case polycarbonate. From an engineering and manufacturing perspective each have their benefits but the important factor is what the shooter feels, the assurance of success they have when the tool is in their hands. This is an intangible that camera designers struggle to predict and accommodate.

Many years ago a college did a test serving meals to a group of people using metal knives and forks. Several days later the same group were served the same meals prepared identical but this time they used plastic utensils. Most people claimed that the first meal tasted better then the second. Their feeling had no base on reality but was a perception formed in their minds by eating using plastic utensils.

In a similar scenario it is why people over the age of 60 when getting into my 55 Chevy rap their knuckles on the metal dash and proclaim “they don’t make em like this anymore” while younger people when getting into the car comment on the lack of padding on the dash and the spartan instrumentation. It’s all perception and for many, that is the only reality that exists. Fortunately in our free world there is room to accommodate all our unique perceptions.

Denny
08-10-2014, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #15

Like others posting in this thread, I just like the feel of the metal body. It's an entirely subjective thing, of course.

When I looked into buying the Q last year, both the first model and the Q10 were available at rather good prices while the Q7 cost quite a bit more than I was prepared to spend at the time. After doing some research and asking the wise people on the forum I decided that there was not much IQ difference between the Q and Q10 and I went with the metal body.

Had I been prepared to spend more money at the time I would have taken the Q7, plastic or not, as the IQ is still more important to me.

As it is I'm thinking about getting a Q7 when the new model comes out and I find it for a reasonable price.

---------- Post added 10-08-14 at 20:00 ----------

Why does it matter to you that what matters to others matters to him? Now, were I tutoring a non-English speaker, I'd be loathe to explain the grammar behind that little beastie.
Ach ja, pleaze explain, Herr Adam!