Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2014, 01:42 PM   #1
Forum Member

Holga HL-PQ 10mm lens

Anyone had a play with one of these? I've spotted it on eBay for less than 10. It looks cheap and nasty, but I'd be interested to hear your comments if you've tried one.

08-10-2014, 04:29 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I know of them and from your comments I think I can give a few pointers that might help.

Holga were made for experimental art pictures so the images will be soft and smeary.

You ask if it might be cheap and nasty and that question speaks volumes, I hope to give you something to think about before rejecting this lens.

This lens could be described as cheap and nasty or bad, but that would be a mistake. It is designed to mimic some of the old fashioned lenses of over a hundred years ago.

Images taken with these old lenses are respected and are seen as attractive, having a timeless charm. The problem is if you try it on all subjects you get a disaster, an architectural image is all wrong with this lens. Sport and action is all wrong, wildlife and landscape is all wrong.

But if you concentrate on people shots portraits and images that can evoke emotions then your in the ballpark of where this lens lives.

Take some high key or low key portraits, and images of your favourite people having fun. If you get it right and this lens delivers what I think it can, you will have images of immense value and heart. And your family will treasure them.
08-10-2014, 04:58 PM   #3

at f/8 x 5.6 on pentax Q that give you ~ f/45 field of view. this len is useless for portrait because there is no shallow depth of field. its use is for landscape mostly and close-up shot of architectural during daylight. It is probably a single element use. You will have much more fun building a single-element len of your own using a convergent element with small focal length on edmundoptic.
08-10-2014, 05:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Rendition

I don't think you can say this lens is useless for portrait simply because it doesn't have the depth of field that you wish to exploit for portraits.

Portraits are not about depth of field. Its about the image and its look.

You happen to prefer a particular look, that's your choice. This lens is about a totally different image look than I think your used to.

35millimeter

Do by all means try some portraits as I suggested before making any judgement about this lens, I do know a thing or two, ive been taking pictures for over 50 years, trust the old geezer.

Lets find out what the lens can do.

08-10-2014, 09:21 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Imageman Quote
Rendition

I don't think you can say this lens is useless for portrait simply because it doesn't have the depth of field that you wish to exploit for portraits.

You happen to prefer a particular look, that's your choice. This lens is about a totally different image look than I think your used to.

35millimeter

Do by all means try some portraits as I suggested before making any judgement about this lens, I do know a thing or two, ive been taking pictures for over 50 years, trust the old geezer.

Agree. If every one shot the same it would get boring fast. I love the Lensbaby on my other cameras. May have to order a Holga.
thanks
barondla

The Q is about experimentation. The Realists have had their day, bring back some impressionism.
08-11-2014, 10:57 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Imageman Quote
Rendition

35millimeter

Taking pictures for 50 years do not mean you are right about certain things nor can be good at it.

I'm all for experimentation but this holga len is a very hard pill to swallow on Q based on the holga's len effective f/45

I would love to see some sample portrait shots from you from this len on pentax Q though.

Edit: I prefer this picture over deeper depth of field any day (flower portrait I supposed; taken with pentax Q + canon c-8 13mm f/1.4)

Last edited by rendition; 08-11-2014 at 11:32 AM.
08-11-2014, 12:54 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 35millimeter Quote
Anyone had a play with one of these? I've spotted it on eBay for less than 10. It looks cheap and nasty, but I'd be interested to hear your comments if you've tried one.
(Caveat: I haven't used the Q-mount version, but I have used the K-mount version. Other than the difference in focal length, they should be the same optically.)

The thing to realize about the Holga lenses is that they're cheaply priced because they are cheap. They're single element plastic lenses. You should expect soft focus at the best of times, particularly towards the corners, chromatic aberration, and vignetting.

They're designed to elicit a certain feeling, though I disagree with Imageman that they're supposed to imitate centuries old lenses. Rather, they're designed to imitate taking pictures with a Holga film camera or other low-cost camera on another (most likely digital) body. (Minus the light leaks, of course. Unless you've got some serious problems with your Q. )

They're not a lens for somebody who's looking for sharp, high-contrast images. But if you know what you're getting into and what to expect, they can elicit a certain charm though it's not for everyone.

(There appear to be some images someone took with one of the Q lenses here. Can't speak about any post-processing that was done to the images, but the result seems about right.)
08-11-2014, 01:07 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
(Caveat: I haven't used the Q-mount version, but I have used the K-mount version. Other than the difference in focal length, they should be the same optically.)

The thing to realize about the Holga lenses is that they're cheaply priced because they are cheap. They're single element plastic lenses. You should expect soft focus at the best of times, particularly towards the corners, chromatic aberration, and vignetting.

They're designed to elicit a certain feeling, though I disagree with Imageman that they're supposed to imitate centuries old lenses. Rather, they're designed to imitate taking pictures with a Holga film camera or other low-cost camera on another (most likely digital) body. (Minus the light leaks, of course. Unless you've got some serious problems with your Q. )

They're not a lens for somebody who's looking for sharp, high-contrast images. But if you know what you're getting into and what to expect, they can elicit a certain charm though it's not for everyone.

(There appear to be some images someone took with one of the Q lenses here. Can't speak about any post-processing that was done to the images, but the result seems about right.)
Thanks for the link. The one in the link is Holga 60mm; at least it can be used to capture tight shot. I am curious for the Holga 10mm but again, I don't expect much for portrait.

Here are some more shots of the Canon C-8 13mm, all shot at f/1.4 on pentax Q

08-11-2014, 01:37 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rendition Quote
Thanks for the link. The one in the link is Holga 60mm; at least it can be used to capture tight shot. I am curious for the Holga 10mm but again, I don't expect much for portrait.
The photos were taken with the 10mm according to the EXIF data on Flickr.
08-11-2014, 02:02 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
The photos were taken with the 10mm according to the EXIF data on Flickr.
Thanks again for clarification g026r. So it also seemed to vignette...Would love to see more clear/daylight pictures.
08-11-2014, 02:40 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rendition Quote
I'm all for experimentation but this holga len is a very hard pill to swallow on Q based on the holga's len effective f/45
I'm confused by this. The aperture of that Holga lens is fixed at F8 and the focal length is 10mm. My understanding was that the small sensor size makes the effective focal length approx 5.5x greater, i.e. about 55mm (as a 35mm film equivalent), but surely the aperture stays the same or am I missing something?
08-11-2014, 02:46 PM   #12
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 35millimeter Quote
I'm confused by this. The aperture of that Holga lens is fixed at F8 and the focal length is 10mm. My understanding was that the small sensor size makes the effective focal length approx 5.5x greater, i.e. about 55mm (as a 35mm film equivalent), but surely the aperture stays the same or am I missing something?
The aperture stays the same. (f8)
08-11-2014, 03:45 PM   #13

aperture is the same f/8 (amount of light) but field of view is f/45 (~ depth of field at that view) ....
08-11-2014, 04:18 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Im not seeing anything convincing that suggests this lens is useless for portraits.

If you want a razor sharp portrait lens with shallow depth of field that's up to you. Personally I think a razor sharp portrait is no portrait at all.

Ill say it again lets see what the lens produces before dismissing it.

I said this:-

Holga were made for experimental art pictures so the images will be soft and smeary.

You ask if it might be cheap and nasty and that question speaks volumes, I hope to give you something to think about before rejecting this lens.

This lens could be described as cheap and nasty or bad, but that would be a mistake. It is designed to mimic some of the old fashioned lenses of over a hundred years ago.

Images taken with these old lenses are respected and are seen as attractive, having a timeless charm. The problem is if you try it on all subjects you get a disaster, an architectural image is all wrong with this lens. Sport and action is all wrong, wildlife and landscape is all wrong.

But if you concentrate on people shots portraits and images that can evoke emotions then your in the ballpark of where this lens lives.

Many lenses over 100 years ago were very soft and smeary particularly single meniscus box brownie camera lenses. Soft images have a character all their own. And whats wrong with a plastic lens anyway.

Have you guys looked at pinhole cameras, no lens at all soft and smeary and with a character all their own.

Im not saying a Holga makes fabulous images, im saying it will be soft and smeary, are you saying that's wrong? they could be good for portraits given half a chance.

Rendition you were quick at first to dismiss this lens saying its useless without giving it a chance, then you suggest its better for architecture than portrait, then you say your all for experimentation.

Get off your high horse and let the images speak.

Anyone can say any old rubbish they want its the image that matters. I for one want to see what you get.

Stop the bickering and lets see the results.
08-11-2014, 04:31 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hm I remember someone here did a monthly challenge with a lens similar to this, but on a DSLR. That photographer made amazing photos with it, even though the colours, sharpness, and general image quality were "poor"
So I would agree with the above - its not a modern, high IQ lens, it won't give you straight lines, with sharp definitions and strong contrast, full of vibrant detail. No. But it will give you something. And maybe, it will work for you. Maybe it will work only after you practice with it and develop your skill with it. Maybe you will use it once and never again.

Edit: Here are two:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/545-duh_vinci/albums/3521-single-august/
And I think the user Rense did a couple great sets: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rensehaveman/tags/holga60mmf8/
But mostly with Holga lens on DSLR, so I can't help with the 10mm on the Q, specifically

Last edited by Na Horuk; 08-11-2014 at 04:39 PM.