Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2014, 05:44 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Q and Lensbaby

Anyone?

Frankly, I do not understand the Lensbaby following. To me it just looks like a photo with a DOF issue or something. But, will it look better on the Q?

08-11-2014, 07:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Useless on the Q b/c of extreme crop factor & tough to focus (original LB). I think you'll get more out of the 07 body cap lens if you want soft focus..
08-11-2014, 05:36 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Yeah, it would definitely not make sense to use on the Q given the crop.

As far as your more general take on Lensbaby, I kind of think of it sort of like I do with fish-eye lenses: there are many photos out there taken with one and a very small percentage that really produce something artful/creative (obviously just my opinion.) As an owner of a lensbaby I can say that it is not an easy lens/system to use. It takes time to really figure out how to use it in a way that gives pleasing results and even then it can be hit or miss (and different for each of their various lenses.) I find that it is much easier to use on EVF cameras than optical viewfinders. The main issue for me is that like fish-eye lenses, it is such a dramatic look, how often will you really use it? A little goes a long way (at least for me) and even used, they're not particularly cheap. People also often say that it doesn't do anything that you can't just do in software, which I suppose is true to a point, but personally if I'm going to do it, I would rather create at the point of capture.

All that said, I haven't sold mine but it doesn't get a ton of use (double glass optic @ f5.6 on APS-C can be nice for portraits in the right light.) But, if I could go back knowing what I know now, I probably would have put the money towards something else.
08-11-2014, 06:28 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sunny16 Quote
Yeah, it would definitely not make sense to use on the Q given the crop.

As far as your more general take on Lensbaby, I kind of think of it sort of like I do with fish-eye lenses: there are many photos out there taken with one and a very small percentage that really produce something artful/creative (obviously just my opinion.) As an owner of a lensbaby I can say that it is not an easy lens/system to use. It takes time to really figure out how to use it in a way that gives pleasing results and even then it can be hit or miss (and different for each of their various lenses.) I find that it is much easier to use on EVF cameras than optical viewfinders. The main issue for me is that like fish-eye lenses, it is such a dramatic look, how often will you really use it? A little goes a long way (at least for me) and even used, they're not particularly cheap. People also often say that it doesn't do anything that you can't just do in software, which I suppose is true to a point, but personally if I'm going to do it, I would rather create at the point of capture.

All that said, I haven't sold mine but it doesn't get a ton of use (double glass optic @ f5.6 on APS-C can be nice for portraits in the right light.) But, if I could go back knowing what I know now, I probably would have put the money towards something else.
Well, maybe it takes and artistic personality to appreciate photos taken with it, I don't know. To me it looks sort of like a macro photo of something with no depth of field, and that's it. I just don't get it...but I have no artistic ability to speak of so maybe that is why!

08-12-2014, 04:06 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On the Q, it will have DoF But the effects will still be there. Maybe if you get a used copy you can experiment and see how it works for you. Its not a lens for everything, but I have seen some photographers take quite nice photos with the various lensbaby things
08-12-2014, 03:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Could be interesting. Hope someone posts a few pix.
08-12-2014, 03:37 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
Could be interesting. Hope someone posts a few pix.
Me too.
08-12-2014, 09:42 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I have a lot of Lensbaby stuff and use it often. It looks like a simple effect, but there are a lot of different ways to use it. I don't use LB a lot with the Q. Will see what I can find. May take a little while, I am in the middle of preparing for class.
thanks
barondla