Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2015, 03:45 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
For street shooting using the Q, I would like to know how to do the hyperfocus focusing...anyone knows?
The DOF on a Q7 is huge due to the small sensor. At f/2.8 you have the same as 2.8 * 4.7 = f/13.16. Go further to f/4 and you have 4 * 4.7 = f/18.8. You'd be hard pressed to miss focus unless you're way off on AF point selection or you're really close to your subject mater. Let the AF module do it's thing and you're good to go.

06-30-2015, 01:00 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I believe that any viewfinder is a give-away that you're taking pictures. I really want a tilting LCD, but without that I'm trying to learn to take pictures by getting a feel for pictures by a sharp angle view of the LCD. (you don't want your activity to change the scene)
I recently took my Q7 kit to a classic car show. It performed pretty well on the whole. One of my few moments of frustration occurred when I held the camera up over my head for a higher perspective across the field of cars. I couldn't see anything! With the MX-1 or E-M5 that kind of shot comes easy.

Anyhow, in this case I was using the 08 lens, so there wasn't really any way I could "miss" the shot. It was merely awkward to take. And it's not like I would have been any better off with the K-5 II or with my old fllm SLRs. It's just that after using a tilt screen for a while, I got a bit spoiled and expected it to be there.
06-30-2015, 02:17 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
I recently took my Q7 kit to a classic car show. It performed pretty well on the whole. One of my few moments of frustration occurred when I held the camera up over my head for a higher perspective across the field of cars. I couldn't see anything! With the MX-1 or E-M5 that kind of shot comes easy.

Anyhow, in this case I was using the 08 lens, so there wasn't really any way I could "miss" the shot. It was merely awkward to take. And it's not like I would have been any better off with the K-5 II or with my old fllm SLRs. It's just that after using a tilt screen for a while, I got a bit spoiled and expected it to be there.
The LCD is readable at a fairly sharp angle. Did you try holding it up and forward of your head?
06-30-2015, 08:10 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote

Get a mirror attachment? Seen them for rear screens, heard some people have success with them.

06-30-2015, 08:59 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mothballs Quote
Get a mirror attachment? Seen them for rear screens, heard some people have success with them.
Is this something that is available commercially, or would we have to jury-rig something?
07-02-2015, 05:04 AM   #21

Is this something that is available commercially, or would we have to jury-rig something?
This is one Not the best, and Your Mileage will vary. I know there was a multi hinged one, but I'm not sure who made it. That might have been custom.

The major problem is that fact that it is a mirror, so angle of reflection can be a real pain. Still, simple solution.
07-02-2015, 08:02 AM   #22
Site Supporter

This is one Not the best, and Your Mileage will vary. I know there was a multi hinged one, but I'm not sure who made it. That might have been custom.

The major problem is that fact that it is a mirror, so angle of reflection can be a real pain. Still, simple solution.
The price is good, but unfortunately, that particular device is incompatible with my hoodman clone, which makes the decision much harder.
07-04-2015, 11:22 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Have a Flipbac have never used it. Hmm. Need to install it.
thanks for th memory jog
barondla

07-04-2015, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I found a couple of WEB sites that anyone interested in street shooting might find of interest. The first one lists what they consider to be 10 Street Shooters that are currently making an impact on that aspect of photography.
10 most Influential Active Street Photographers

This second site, which is linked to the site mentioned above, is a listing of books written by Thomas Leuthard delineating his personal perspectives on Street shooting. Each book is about 96 pages and can be downloaded in PDF format free from this site. Each book has lots of pages used to demonstrate his beliefs. In one of these books he stresses that it is not the equipment used but the vision of the photographer that results in a compelling image.
eBook - Street Photography by Thomas Leuthard
07-20-2015, 12:50 PM   #25
Site Supporter

The price is good, but unfortunately, that particular device is incompatible with my hoodman clone, which makes the decision much harder.
Well, it turns out that I was wrong.
Since this Flipbac costs roughly $15 from B&H, I bought one.
I installed it 1-2mm too high, but that is not a big issue.
It turns out that this one is multi-hinged. If I open it horizontally,
then I am still able to slip my hoodman clone onto my camera.
Now I've approximated both of the features I wish the Q would
have, namely an EVF and a tilting LCD.

Now, "all" I have to do is to go out and learn how to use it effectively.

(thanx, Mothballs. for the suggestion!!)

Last edited by reh321; 07-20-2015 at 12:58 PM. Reason: clarify wording
07-22-2015, 09:53 PM   #26

someone needs to make a waist level finder mirror for mirror-less cams... i was lookin at older finders and its hard to see anything out there that could be attached without severe modifications like 1/4-20 tapping it into a old flash cam handle shoe. maybe using a bmpcc cage and put the q in it with the old 6x6-7 waist level finder mirror reflecting up...etc.
08-27-2015, 04:58 PM   #27
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here is a link to some free downloads of books dealing with street photography plus a few other related subjects. You might not agree with all of his ideas but then again you might find some of these informative reading.

Downloads

I came to find this writer through his blog on GAS.
08-27-2015, 06:08 PM   #28
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by xerxal Quote
someone needs to make a waist level finder mirror for mirror-less cams... i was lookin at older finders and its hard to see anything out there that could be attached without severe modifications like 1/4-20 tapping it into a old flash cam handle shoe. maybe using a bmpcc cage and put the q in it with the old 6x6-7 waist level finder mirror reflecting up...etc.
The "Flipbac" suggested above by Mothballs glues on very easily. Once attached it holds very well - in fact my first touch was maybe 1/8" too high, and I'm stuck with that because it holds so well. I'm not sure how your ideal device would differ from that.
11-25-2015, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Though I have had little success in this realm of photography, I keep getting drawn back to photographers who excel at Street Photography. I think this lady has some good ideas for all to consider. I like her trick with the cell phone. She has numerous other YouTube video's on the subject as well.
11-25-2015, 11:32 AM   #30
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I don't know if this is what you mean but you can set focus type to MF, and find an area near where you want to focus using the viewfinder.
Then set the camera to your desired shutter speed and shoot when subjects appear in the approximate distance you have pre-focused at.
DOF is pretty good with this camera due to the small sensor.
In this AF shot everything from the lady's tennis shoe all the way to the sign on the warehouse doorway is in focus.
Q - 01 lens - f2.8, 1/500, ISO 125
If I understand correctly, the expression "f/8 and be there" was street shooter "Weegee" Fellig's motto, partly because his camera / lens combination had a good deep DOF at f/8, so he could pre-set aperture, pre-set shutter speed based on meter reading, pre-focus, and then he was ready the instant he saw a scene he wanted to capture.