Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
05-13-2016, 05:14 PM   #46
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
For "street shooting" situations {i.e., when I don't want my presence to change the picture} I'd rather have a tilting screen. I glued on one of those "flipbac" mirrors, but I've never gotten used to using it, and now I'm literally stuck with it; in theory, we can still see a modern LCD at such an acute angle that neither tilt nor mirror should be necessary - we should be able to see it while holding the Q a couple of feet below our eyes - but I'm not very good at that either.
Why not just forget looking at the screen and just point and shoot?

05-13-2016, 07:33 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
s. Q lenses don't have anything like that [focus scale], so it would be guesswork.
Actually, it's very easy to add a useful pseudo-focus-scale and use it to predict DOF and/or hyperfocal points for selected distances you expect to use. Sort of like 'Scene Modes' except for focusing convenience.

Simply focus accurately on a few points at the distances you commonly use and mark them with a fine point marker on the focus ring and add a a fixed index mark. My 03 has such reference range marks added which greatly speeds manual focusing for frequently encountered situations.

Record the markings for future reference. Add notes for DOF at selected apertures if desired.

(And before someone starts in again about how sloppy and inaccurate that might be, remember, there's absolutely nothing preventing you from further refining focus by any and all means available.)

On the occasions when I've used prepared 'range marks' in the field I've used an erasable label on the bottom of the camera body for quick reference notes.

Last edited by pacerr; 05-13-2016 at 07:39 PM.
05-14-2016, 04:24 AM   #48
Forum Member

toy lenses

The 03, 04 and 05 don't have variable aperture so you just need to adjust the focus spots because they are completely manual focus, no aperture control and then the Q itself handles the shutter if you want it to in auto etc.

The thing with the wider angle is if you are sort of shooting at a distance, then you really have everything in focus if you are shooting things that are ten feet away or greater I believe. I guess I should get out my sharpie and mark it up. yes, it would be better if these lenses had some resistance so they weren't so loose to focus or some sort of focus lock. Maybe just marking it would be good enough.

So I just checked it and on the 04, there are 3 gradation lines on either side of the center line. The line which is one short of the farthest distance gets most everything in focus. The other lines which go nearer are good for getting close ups but you really want it on one short of the furthest most of the time for street shooting. The 04 is a 35mm equiv on the Q and like 29 on the QS 1 supposedly but I hear that it only uses a part of the sensor on the 7 and S1 so I am not sure if thats right.
05-16-2016, 03:42 PM - 1 Like   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Forget John Free, forget Eric Kim, forget Bruce Gilden, forget Henri Cartier Bresson. Who may actually be one of the most prolific and visionary street shooters of all time might just be a mysterious Nanny known among her many other names as Vivian Maier. I just watched the DVD on this unheralded street photographer and found it quite informative. Her body of work far exceeds 150,000 negatives and additional movie footage as well as sound recordings. According to the documentary the full extent of her work is not yet known as all films have not yet been developed however just judging from the material that has been investigated this lady may have thoroughly recorded/documented daily life happening around her from around 1951 to sometime in the late 1990’s or early 2000’s.The DVD is entitled
and I acquired my copy at my local library but may just purchase a copy for my own. I would recommend this DVD to anyone interested in Street Shooting.

05-18-2016, 09:31 PM   #50

Photos: Gallery
Shot in DTLA.
Attached Images

05-24-2016, 09:53 AM   #51
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Triggrhaapi Quote
Shot in DTLA.

Interesting how there is a banner for a Robert Mapplethorpe exhibition on a pole in the background.
05-24-2016, 06:51 PM   #52

Photos: Gallery
Good ol LACMA.