Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2014, 12:23 PM   #1

Cases?

Hi

I know this has been covered before but I'm looking for a smart minimal case for my new Q10. Most of the recommendations I have seen are for several lenses plus Q. I am looking for something very small which looks quite smart. I would like to stay away from fake leather and neoprene.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

08-12-2014, 12:42 PM   #2
Staff Writer

Photos: Gallery
I have this, which nicely holds a Q or Q7 with either the 02 or 06. It is, alas, leatherette, but nicely made.

Pentax Q Vintage Leatherette Shoulder Bag (Brown) 85234 B&H

I normally carry a Tamrac Zuma 2 with a tablet, one Q body and 4 lenses; I use the Vintage when I want to go extra light.

Hope that's some help.

cjf
08-12-2014, 01:39 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fizzyvimto Quote
I'm looking for a smart minimal case for my new Q10. Does anyone have any ideas?
Depends on what lens you want mounted.
With the 01 prime, I use a little Lowepro P&S case.
With the 02 zoom, or a smallish K-mount lens on the adapter,
I use a small video camera pack.
08-12-2014, 01:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have several Tamrac Aria series camera bags in different colours and sizes:

tamrac | Aria Series

I originally got an Aria 3 for my Sony NEX. It is large enough to hold the camera body plus attached lens plus spare lens and a couple of small accessories. The outside back pocket (no closure) holds a map, small booklet or my Nexux tablet. There are two outside pockets on either end that are large enough for smart phones, an outside front pocket for small camera bits (e.g., extra memory cards) and a zip inside pocket for a skinny wallet.

With one of the Aria 3 dividers removed, the bag is large enough for my K3 with lens attached plus another small lens - and assorted small bits and bobs. And yet the bag is still pretty small and sleek.

I have an Aria 6 for when I want to carry more gear, or when I'm taking my camera to work and need a brief-type bag (the outside pocket is large enough for a skinny folder.

For your Q, you might find the Aria 2 is large enough, or you might like the convenience of the slightly larger Aria 3.

Stylewise, it tilts a little bit toward the feminine side but my husband says he's not embarrassed to use it (except for the raspberry coloured Aria 3) ...

08-12-2014, 02:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Currently I am using a Lowepro Adventura 100. It is a little bigger than is strictly necessary, but not by a lot. The Q with 02 lens fits easily, while the 07 lens slips into one of the little inside pockets. I'm not sure if I could fit any other lenses in there, since I don't own any. The strap can be extended really long so I can wear it across my chest and fat belly and the bag will still hang low on my hip, in a manly, gunslinger way.

QuoteOriginally posted by cjfeola Quote
I have this, which nicely holds a Q or Q7 with either the 02 or 06. It is, alas, leatherette, but nicely made.

Pentax Q Vintage Leatherette Shoulder Bag (Brown) 85234 B&H
I used to carry this, but after a friend's teenage daughters told me it looked like a really cute purse, I stopped using it. All my other college buddies (guys and gals) there just rolled their eyes when I said "really?"

Also the strap is too short to wear cross-chest, across my oversized belly. That just makes me look fatter and wider ... and the bag look smaller and cuter.

I agree it is well made, but I found it to be a bit too tight for the original Q and 02, when the neck strap is attached - it was a bit of a pain to stuff the strap in there. Not a concern if you don't use the neck strap (I think one of the aesthetic charms of using the Q and the MX-1 is the thin neck strap, which is proportionately smaller, just like the body).

Last edited by Tanzer; 08-12-2014 at 02:54 PM.
08-12-2014, 06:23 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I had a Q I bought a Lowepro Lowepro Edit 140 bag, which is a small bag made for camcorders. I no longer have the Q and use the bag for a Super Clamp and a ball head. That may not be the type of bag you want, but just an idea to look at options that may be made for something else. You might look in sporting good stores, there are a lot of small bags that are made for other uses. I keep a lot of my equipment in a larger bag that was designed for fishing. It's well padded and I keep lenses, etc in their own cases inside of it. It works well for me and does not look like a camera bag. I may be way off base because "looks quite smart" can mean a lot of different looks to different people, just be open to ideas.
08-12-2014, 07:44 PM   #7
Staff Writer

@Tanzer: Truth about the strap; I forgot to mention that. On the other hand, I'm 55-gave up caring what teenagers think of me about 10 years ago... ;-)

08-12-2014, 11:00 PM   #8

I have a lowepro apex 60
It's approx 5x5x3 inches.
I can get a q7 in it with the kit lens and a little bit to spare, or the Q7 with 08 wide fitted and a really tight fit, but the 06 telephoto jams in above it if I put the camera in first.
Smallest I could find that was a bag type that would take it.
It has a belt clip that's velcro for on and off and is very secure, a detachable shoulder strap and a small rain cover, it's very cute.
08-13-2014, 03:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm intrigued by the Lowepro Streamline 100: Lowepro StreamLine 100 Shoulder Bag LP36360 B&H Photo Video.

The interior dimensions are 7.3 x 2.8 x 5.7" (18.5 x 7 x 14.5 cm). It looks like it could hold the Q7 with prime mounted along with 3 extra lenses. I might give it a try.
08-13-2014, 11:45 PM   #10

I have this case and love it for the Q7 and 01 lens. It's genuine leather hand stitched.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00D3U0VA8?cache=66d68474dbf9c0dbc769d0545bdd1f57&pi=SX200_QL40&qid=1407998583&sr=8-2#ref=mp_s_a_1_2

I get heaps of compliments on it.

I have no affiliation to this seller but when sent the incorrect color outer cover they immediately sent a replacement.

I'm now trying to find a small case/cover for the 02 lens if you find anything suitable for just the lens please let us all know as I'm sure I'm not the only one looking for this.

Mike
08-16-2014, 04:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I purchased this Vivitar VIV-DKS-5 Small Camcorder bag from an Ebay seller. The price was $4.99 and that INCLUDED shipping. In other words the bag was virtually free.

The bag comes with a shoulder strap which I will never use because I prefer to use the belt loop on the backside and hang this bag off my belt.

Shown in the third image is how the Q7 with 06 zoom and a polarizer filter and lens cap fits into the bag. Pulling the camera out you can see that the 02 zoom in it’s plastic shipping pouch can easily be stored underneath the camera. Being able to carry a second lens while having a bag small enough to fit on my belt without making me feel like I was a pack mule was a major consideration.

The bag has two side pouches. I use one to store two spare batteries and the one on the other side stores a UV filter to replace the polarizer when I shoot indoors. The mesh enclosure in the lid of the bag could be used to store spare SD cards.

The bag comes with a shoulder strap but I will never use that as I prefer to hang this bag off my belt. Which was the main reason I purchased it.

I am in no way associated with the seller of this bag.

Denny
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K110D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K110D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K110D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K110D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K110D  Photo