Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2014, 12:37 PM   #1
Forum Member

Manual focus in bright sunshine

In the past I've had problems trying to compose photos with compacts (too much glare/reflection to see the screen), but at least they can take care of the focussing themselves. How do you guys go about manually focussing adapted lenses in these conditions? I suppose I could throw a blackout cloth over the camera and my head but if I'm going to have to go to that trouble I might as well just use my DSLR!

08-13-2014, 12:50 PM   #2
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 35millimeter Quote
In the past I've had problems trying to compose photos with compacts (too much glare/reflection to see the screen), but at least they can take care of the focussing themselves. How do you guys go about manually focussing adapted lenses in these conditions? I suppose I could throw a blackout cloth over the camera and my head but if I'm going to have to go to that trouble I might as well just use my DSLR!
2014 [drop Shipping] Professional 2.5 X Lcd Viewfinder for Dslr / Camcorder 3'' Screen 5d Mark Ii Nex 7 5n D7000 X pro1 30200033-in Photo Studio Accessories from Electronics on Aliexpress.com
This fits the q albeit with the finder sitting away from the LCD screen a little. But that focusses better for people like myself who need reading glasses.
08-13-2014, 01:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use a cheap loupe for Nikon 1 like LCD Viewfinder Loupes Magnifier Eyecup Extender V5 Hood for Nikon 1 J1 DSLR | eBay

Tripod mount position needs to be moved over a little with a file to clear the Q buttons.
08-14-2014, 12:04 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I discovered for myself that turning on the blinking indication of blown highlights and lost shadows in LiveView helps increase contrast and outlines of my subject being photographed. When properly focused the "blinkies" are at their crispest. Try it. Add to that focus peaking and zoom-in during manual focus and all is well.