Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2014, 05:51 AM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Continuous ringlight on the Q

We had a discussion a few weeks ago bemoaning the lack of hotshoe flash with adapted lenses on aftermarket adapters:https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/268300-still-no-external-man...ed-lenses.html
It was concluded that the pentax adapter with shutter had a definite advantage in this area.
I also felt that a continuous ring light was the way to go.
I have bought a 60 led cheapy continuous ring light:
( YONGNUO WJ 60 Macro Ring Photography Continuous LED Light for C SLR Cameras-in Photographic Lighting from Electronics on Aliexpress.com) and would like to share preliminary results.
The lights intensity is quite low -- in full daylight it is just a subtle fill light. In more shaded areas it starts to come out in its own but is still subtle. But having the light illuminating while composing the image is a plus and it is capable of its own unique feel.

But for the dark background ringflash driven macros that I enjoy doing I will stick with my K30 + SMC50mm macro + ringflash -- at least until the pentax adapter comes down in price.

These were on a Q with a custom built adapter so that the 110 18mm could be extended for macro. (essentially a 110 camera lens mount inserted in a pentax m42 Helicoid extension)
The 18 mm was stopped down to about f4.5 with my ringbinder reinforcing ring technique.
The NZ Clematis flower would be approximately 80mm across.
The images are pped

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
08-16-2014, 09:24 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have one issue with using ring lights, and the reason I do not use them for the product shots I do, is that by providing an unnatural omidirectional light they virtually eliminate textures making the subject look flat and somewhat compressed. This is a desirable characteristic in recording some lab generated flat scientific projects. When I have been forced to use flash in photographing more three dimensional subjects I have moved the flash completely off camera and to the side of the camera.

Denny
08-17-2014, 03:48 AM   #3
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
I have one issue with using ring lights, and the reason I do not use them for the product shots I do, is that by providing an unnatural omidirectional light they virtually eliminate textures making the subject look flat and somewhat compressed. This is a desirable characteristic in recording some lab generated flat scientific projects. When I have been forced to use flash in photographing more three dimensional subjects I have moved the flash completely off camera and to the side of the camera.

Denny
I like the effect from rings for closeup natural history.
This is a file photo from a year or so back of NZ clematis with the kx and s.m.c m42 50mm macro from memory
Maybe the 01 on the Q will match this quality
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo