Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2014, 10:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Aftermarket batteries? Halcyon or Wasabi?

These seem to be the two main competitors for aftermarket Q batteries. Anyone here have experience with either or both?

08-17-2014, 10:18 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a couple Wasabi and to me they are as good as the originals.
08-17-2014, 10:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have the Halcyon and they're pretty good. Last about as long as the regular batteries I have.
08-18-2014, 02:50 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

I have Wasabis and they are OK. Only thing I would say negatively is that they seem to drain a lot faster in cold weather.

08-18-2014, 03:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've bought three sets of Wasabis for different cameras and have had no issues so far. They work great.
08-18-2014, 07:37 AM   #6
Site Supporter

I have two Wasabis (recent purchase) and my impression is that they drain somewhat faster than the original equipment battery in my K-3. That is just my impression since I have not done a controlled test in normal use.*

Steve

* I am still fairly new to my K-3 and do a lot of fiddling around with stuff like the video feature which is a huge power drain. As a result it is hard to compare.

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-18-2014 at 06:57 PM.
08-18-2014, 08:37 AM   #7
Site Supporter

I have several Wasabis haven't had any problems.
08-19-2014, 07:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have the Wasabis. I like 'em just fine.

08-19-2014, 08:10 AM   #9
Forum Member

I've used Wasabi and have found them good for the price. Not as good as originals. That said, I'd not hesitate to buy Wasabi again. The Halcyon? Can't say. I think I'll try those next time around.
08-19-2014, 08:13 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Wasabis here. No issues so far. Can't even tell the difference from my stock Q battery.
08-19-2014, 09:13 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I ordered both. The Halcyon came with some other stuff including a card reader and I just broke the only reader I had about a week ago.

Amazon.com : Wasabi Power Battery (2-Pack) and Charger for Pentax D-LI68, D-LI122 and Pentax Q, Q7, Q10, Q-S1, Optio A36, Optio S10, Optio S12, Optio VS20 : Digital Camera Batteries : Camera & Photo

http://www.amazon.com/Halcyon-Lithium-Replacement-Battery-Charger/dp/B00HSQ1...ax+q+batteries
08-22-2014, 08:33 AM   #12

I have Halcyons, and they seem fine. I suspect, though, that the mAh ratings on the replacement batteries are more generous.
08-23-2014, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter

a third (and 4th) option

While I have not tried either the Halcyon or Wasabis, I had bought third party batteries for my Kodak Playsport Camera in the past, and they worked fine for about a year before they started bulging, and stopped working altogether. When new, they also did not hold the charge as long as the original Kodak KLIC-7004 battery that came with the camera.

What's this got to do with Pentax Q, you might ask. Well, shortly after I bought my Pentax Q, I realized that the battery used in the Kodak was IDENTICAL to the one used in the Q, as well as the battery used for some Fuji cameras. Having also bought third party batteries in the past for other devices and not having much luck other than with Mugen (for my smartphone), I decided I'd stick to some branded ones instead for the Q.

I ended up buying this -
Amazon.com : Fujifilm NP-50 Lithium Ion Rechargeable Battery for Fuji F60fd, F50fd & F100fd Digital Cameras - Retail Packaging : Camera & Photo

The Kodak one can be found here -
Amazon.com : Kodak Li-Ion Rechargeable Battery/KLIC 7004 : Digital Camera Batteries : Camera & Photo

I find the prices are also comparable to third party batteries, and though it cost me a little bit more to ship to Canada, it was still a lot cheaper than the the Pentax ones. So far, I've found the Fuji ones to work just as well as the Pentax one too. Hope this helps anyone else considering third party batteries!
Attached Images

08-23-2014, 01:15 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Over the years I have done a lot of testing of batteries and keep a Excel spread sheet of the fully charged volts and the voltage at which the camera shuts off and the number of shots taken on each charge. I published my findings on AA batteries on the Photographing Models page on my WEB site.

In purchasing batteries, with the exception of AA batteries, I always look for the highest mAh rating. The Wasabi batteries, at least those I have used for my Q and K series Pentax cameras, always have a higher rating than the factory batteries and give me a few more shots before they require recharging.

Now on to the shoot,
Denny
08-24-2014, 04:57 AM   #15

Got two Wasabi sets after the Pentax charger decided to not charge anymore. Now I have 5 batteries total, one charger in the house, and another in my car. (Wasabi charger has a little cigarette lighter adapter for charging in the car, very convenient)