Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-24-2014, 03:23 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Non-Q Autofocus Lenses/Adapters?

Hey guys, my first post in this community.

I was wondering if there are any lenses out there outside of the Q line that can be used with a Q body, but retain auto-focus and auto-exposure capabilities.

From my understanding, you are limited to using an adapter for other lenses, but all adapters do not have electrical contacts that enable auto shooting. So that means you could use almost any lens you want, but you'd be limited to manual shooting.

Any auto lenses/adapters out there? I do not mind manual, I actually love the challenge and use it way more than auto with my 02 lens. Please let me know, thanks!

08-24-2014, 04:59 AM   #2
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RADaleno Quote

I was wondering if there are any lenses out there outside of the Q line that can be used with a Q body, but retain auto-focus and auto-exposure capabilities.

From my understanding, you are limited to using an adapter for other lenses, but all adapters do not have electrical contacts that enable auto shooting. So that means you could use almost any lens you want, but you'd be limited to manual shooting.

Any auto lenses/adapters out there? I do not mind manual, I actually love the challenge and use it way more than auto with my 02 lens. Please let me know, thanks!
Hi, welcome to the forums.
I am not aware of any adapter that transfers any control to the camera so every thing is totally manual which is how I like it. There is a superior K mount to Q adapter that adjusts the aperture lever for A series and later lens. But it is still a manual control.
08-24-2014, 07:48 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum!
None yet, AFAIK, although there was this recent Tamron patent, which specifically mentions the Q:

Tamron 15-50mm F1.4(1/1.7")?????????????So-net???
08-24-2014, 09:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
SLR Magic Toy Lens 11mm f/1.4 lens for Pentax Q mount T-1114QM

08-24-2014, 10:16 AM   #5
Pentaxian

OP was looking for auto exposure lenses.
08-25-2014, 04:52 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Hi, welcome to the forums.
I am not aware of any adapter that transfers any control to the camera so every thing is totally manual which is how I like it. There is a superior K mount to Q adapter that adjusts the aperture lever for A series and later lens. But it is still a manual control.
Thanks for clearing that up.

What is your favourite Q setup? I would like to know more about Q + DSLR/SLR lens setups!

---------- Post added 08-25-14 at 04:53 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Welcome to the forum!

None yet, AFAIK, although there was this recent Tamron patent, which specifically mentions the Q:

Tamron 15-50mm F1.4(1/1.7")?????????????So-net???
very cool, can you read Japanese? Is there anything about a release date in that post? I can only read English unfortunately. Thanks for the reply!
08-25-2014, 02:54 PM   #7
Forum Member

As far as I am aware there are no adapters that let you retain autofocus, or even automatic control of the aperture for the exposure, so you will end up with manual focus and manual exposure. I have a PK to Q adapter that has a tripod mount and an aperture control. The aperture control allows you to focus with the lens wide open and then stop down to the aperture selected on the lens manual aperture control ring. If you're going for DSLR/SLR lenses I would personally recommend that you choose one that was designed for manual focussing in the first place - I find manually focussing autofocus lenses less satisfying, and there is no way to accurately select an aperture on the DA lenses.

Don't forget the crop factor due to the small sensor size - take your focal length and multiply by approx 5.5 to get the equivalent 35mm focal length. For that reason you'll find a standard full frame zoom equates to a pretty powerful telephoto zoom on the Q.

If you're looking for new lenses to try (as opposed to looking to utilise and DSLR/SLR lenses that you already have) then I would recommend you try the Pentax 110 lenses via a suitable adapter - I find them more in keeping with the ethos of the Q and have been delighted with the image quality in comparison to the standard 02 zoom, especially when stopped down using the ring binder reinforcement technique.

You'll also find a 'sticky' to adapted lenses at the top of this forum that is particularly useful. The only downside is that it will do your wallet no favours when the bug bites and you end up shopping for new glass!

If autofocus is important to you a few members have bought the 06 (15-45mm) zoom and have been very pleased with it.

08-25-2014, 04:17 PM - 1 Like   #8
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What is your favourite Q setup? I would like to know more about Q + DSLR/SLR lens setups!
Like 35mill I find the 110s harmonious with the q set up. When you check out the adapted lens thread you will see that my image samples tend to be closeups or portraiture(animal) and that is what these lens tend to be good for. I think landscape is best left to the 01 etc. Other lenses I would like to get out more with is the smc 28mm, smc55mm 1.8, M50mm1.7 and the M40 pancake. Trouble is --- so many lens so little time.
The thing to remember is the Q with these lens bring out the art-- leave the technically perfect to the K30s etc
08-26-2014, 02:51 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So true GUB. The Q does bring out the art wih adapted lenses. The Q is like art vitamins. Every one needs some.
thanks
barondla