Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2014, 05:42 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Q-S1 and Q7 Build Quality

The Q-S1 went on sale today, so I stopped by to see what it was like. Since the Q-S1 is the same as the Q7 in most ways, there are only really two things to comment on - how it looks and how it feels.

Appearance - The Q-S1 does look quite nice in reality. I think the colour combinations look a lot better than Q7 ones. They have definitely gone for a more overtly retro look with the way the dials sit on the top.

Feel - Unfortunately, the Q-S1 doesn't feel any any better built than the Q7, in fact I think I prefer the Q7. The Q-S1 has a rough finish to the plastic, but it somehow feels more brittle. The design of the grip is another reason to prefer the Q7. The round thing doesn't really help my average man-hands to grip the camera. The Q7 grip is pretty good considering how small it is.

So my advice to anyone deciding whether to pick up a cheap Q7 or wait for the Q-S1 is to just go for the Q7. That is unless you've really fallen in love with the Q-S1's looks.

08-28-2014, 06:57 AM   #2
Pentaxian

How did you use the grip btw? I've been trying it on my Q7 turning it up side down. I feel it may be more secure with the 'grip' since I can clamp it with my middle and ring fingers. I really love the gunmetal color of Q-S1 but I can't see myself getting it just for the style especially I paid so little for my Q7.
08-28-2014, 07:10 AM   #3
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sorry. I don't know what you mean about the grip. I just picked the camera and found the round thing was more of a obstruction than a help. The Q7 has a helpful vertical ridge for your middle finger to curl and grab.

The gunmetal and especially the silver bodies look nice. It's just a personal feeling, but plastic trying to look like metal just feels like such a fraud. It looks like metal until you touch it and then the illusion is shattered. I think that's what I like about the K-01. What looks like metal is metals and the rubber is not trying to pretend it's leather. It's an honest design.

However, I don't want to overstate it. The Q-S1 doesn't feel poorly made at all. It's a solid little camera, but no better than the Q7.
08-28-2014, 07:13 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's an issue - I kept reading Q-S1 as K-S1 and wondered how you'd already gotten your hands

08-28-2014, 07:16 AM   #5
Pentaxian

What I meant was instead of putting your middle finger on top of the round thing, place your middle above and ring fingers below it on vertical alignment, which would helps to prevent rotational motion when pressing the shutter button.

While SR can deal with the motion a bit I find sometimes the rotation is too big that causes the images not as sharp as they could be unless I'm careful. So in that regard, I find Q-S1's knob intriguing because the way I have to hold Q7 that knob is just at the right place. (I don't hold on to it like I grab onto a larger DSLR. I have thumb on the back, index finger on the top for shutter, middle and ring fingers on the front and then pinky at the bottom.)
08-28-2014, 07:28 AM   #6
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I see. I didn't try that specifically, so I don't know.
08-28-2014, 08:07 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the first impressions here.
08-28-2014, 09:47 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'd like to know more about the IQ. Is it an upgrade over the Q7? I guess only time will tell as reviews trickle out from the internet.

08-28-2014, 10:41 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thank you for posting your observations.

Denny