Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2014, 11:12 AM   #1
Forum Member




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Grapevine TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 61
Q Battery Life-A question for those getting less than 100 shots per charge

Greetings,

Down in the Battery Life Investigation Thread we're getting folks with hundreds -- in one case more than 1,000 -- shots per charge. We're seeing this in photo copying and interval mode.

Which leads to a question for those getting LESS than 100 shots per charge: How are you using your LCD? What's your Review setting? How long do you generally compose between shots?

We're guessing at a few culprits here: the screen for one, and focusing for another. Screen at least should be controllable, no?

Thoughts?

cjf

08-31-2014, 04:59 PM   #2
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: midwest, United States
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,220
Haven't kept track lately, but I wouldn't be surprised if I am in the 100 shot range. First, I leave the SR on constant. That sucks juice because the sensor is moving all the time. Second, I also leave the lcd brightness on max. My Q shooting is usually adapted tele wildlife.
thanks
barondla
08-31-2014, 06:05 PM   #3
Forum Member




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Grapevine TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 61
Original Poster
Hi barondla,

Over in the other thread we're not seeing any difference with SR-we all leave it on constantly. We are seeing a big difference with LCD use. So Brightness on Max would certainly knock it down.

We're seeing the highest number of shots per charge when there's minimal screen use-interval shooting, copying, etc. Do you find yourself chimping and/or recomposing on the screen a lot?

cjf
08-31-2014, 06:24 PM   #4
Pentaxian
fgaudet's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Ontario
Posts: 726
QuoteOriginally posted by cjfeola Quote
not seeing any difference with SR
Simply because the SR system has to be powered up to "hold" the sensor in position at all time, while reducing shake or not. And the same is true to every SR equipped Pentax bodies and many other in-body SR systems.

Regarding the battery life, I haven't kept track of the number of shots I've taken per charge since I seldom use the Q. I know that in the first few weeks I've got it I was not impressed by the short battery life (maybe 200 shots). I normally use the Q with the LCD on at full blast and walking around with it powered on for extended period of time. I also disabled the auto-off function.

08-31-2014, 07:07 PM   #5
Forum Member




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Grapevine TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 61
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
Simply because the SR system has to be powered up to "hold" the sensor in position at all time, while reducing shake or not. And the same is true to every SR equipped Pentax bodies and many other in-body SR systems.
Hi guy,

Not disagreeing about whether SR uses battery; simply reporting that none of us who are getting hundreds -- in one case a thousand! -- shots per charge have turned SR off to do so. Our current suspects are the LCD and focusing/focus hunting. And it sounds like you fit into that, given that you are using the Q "with the LCD on at full blast and walking around with it powered on for extended period of time. I also disabled the auto-off function." Do you agree?

cjf
08-31-2014, 10:13 PM   #6
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: midwest, United States
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,220
Need to clarify my SR comment. The Q and Q10 have three SR settings. Off, on - only stabilized during a shot, and on constantly stabilizing the view before the shot, which aids my manual focusing with the 300 lens hand held.

Pentax uses power to always center the sensor, but that may not take as much power as moving the sensor constantly. I can hear the sensor when on constant- sounds like a mosquito. Don't remember hearing that sound when SR is in normal mode. Will have to check it out.

Does SR even work in intravalometer mode? Not sure. Just because SR is on doesn't mean it is working. Selftimer shuts it off.

I use the LCD screen for long periods of time. Watching an Eagle nest with 300mm lens and 1.5 teleconverter, it is the only way to see the decisive moment. Plus, I am constantly refocusing due to atmospheric instability. I have become very acQuainted with the little thermometer warning sign.
thanks
barondla ( 6 Q batteries ).
Q is fun, and hungry.
09-02-2014, 02:10 PM   #7
Forum Member




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Grapevine TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 61
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Need to clarify my SR comment. The Q and Q10 have three SR settings. Off, on - only stabilized during a shot, and on constantly stabilizing the view before the shot, which aids my manual focusing with the 300 lens hand held.

Pentax uses power to always center the sensor, but that may not take as much power as moving the sensor constantly. I can hear the sensor when on constant- sounds like a mosquito. Don't remember hearing that sound when SR is in normal mode. Will have to check it out.

Does SR even work in intravalometer mode? Not sure. Just because SR is on doesn't mean it is working. Selftimer shuts it off.

I use the LCD screen for long periods of time. Watching an Eagle nest with 300mm lens and 1.5 teleconverter, it is the only way to see the decisive moment. Plus, I am constantly refocusing due to atmospheric instability. I have become very acQuainted with the little thermometer warning sign.
thanks
barondla ( 6 Q batteries ).
Q is fun, and hungry.
Hi barondla,

Good question: I have no idea if SR is on or off in intervalometer mode; that's not something I do with any degree of frequency. As to the LCD...I tend to shoot in bursts, with the camera off in between. That is, I'll look for something that catches my eye, flip the camera on, compose and shoot anywhere from a handful to dozens of shots, then turn it off again. So I've got the LCD on anywhere from a minute or two to quite a long time. And yes, this goes on all day....;-)

cjf
09-04-2014, 11:32 PM   #8
Yos
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Stockholm
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 533
Pentax Q7 battery life?

Add my question here as a friend asked me for advice to buy a new camera.
We have a Q10 and as much as we like it the only negative thing is the battery drain.
Has that improved in the Q7?


Edit: Bah, ignore my question...
Found cjfeola's post further down.
The Q7 might be what my friend is looking for.

09-05-2014, 04:54 AM   #9
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Lake District
Posts: 221
QuoteOriginally posted by Yos Quote
Add my question here as a friend asked me for advice to buy a new camera.
We have a Q10 and as much as we like it the only negative thing is the battery drain.
Has that improved in the Q7?


Edit: Bah, ignore my question...
Found cjfeola's post further down.
The Q7 might be what my friend is looking for.
I also use my Q7 like cjfeola and a battery last me a day with charge left (I do have a spare) I like old cities and castles, stately homes, museums and switch it on when I need it (only takes a sec or 2) take a few pics, power it off. I get well over 100, possibly 250-300 ish, I'll check next time.
J
09-05-2014, 10:32 AM   #10
Forum Member




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Grapevine TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 61
Original Poster
Hi Yos,

My Q7 is my "always with me" camera. I have three batteries in the bag; I find each one lasts me about a month and several hundred shots.

Many more details in this thread-https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/271476-q-q7-battery-life-investigation.html

Hope that helps!

cjf
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
battery, battery & preview, battery life, battery life-a question, camera, charge, mirrorless, pentax q, pentax q10, pentax q7, q-s1, q10, q7, question, screen, shots
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mirror-less cameras hanging on to their sales better than DSLRs per CIPA philbaum Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 22 06-02-2014 09:57 AM
Any AF primes for less than $100 out there? 6BQ5 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 12 10-25-2013 07:10 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax K200d Kit Less than 250 clicks Includes18-55DA II, 50-200DA battery grip davidgreen3003 Sold Items 5 09-27-2013 08:12 PM
For Sale - Sold: “Larger than life” Combo – Pentax A 100/2.8 Macro w/A 50mm Extension Tub (Worl MJL Sold Items 4 07-19-2011 09:59 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:04 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top