Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2014, 02:29 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hiding the info displayed on the LCD so I can actually see what I'm shooting???

I can't seem to find this in the manual. There is so much crap displayed on the LCD that can't see the very top or very bottom of the frame for composing a shot (or left and right in portrait). I know what's on and off, I'm the one who selected the settings, so I don't need to see that I'm in manual focus, or that that shake reduction is on, AWB is on, manual exposure is on, what metering mode I'm in, single frame or remote control shooting, etc., etc. Add the under/over indicator to all that nonsense and an entire 1/5th of the frame is obscured. Shooting at night exacerbates the problem exponentially.

09-07-2014, 02:30 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Keep on pressing the info button and eventually you'll be left with just the LV

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-07-2014, 02:44 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Keep on pressing the info button and eventually you'll be left with just the LV
Tried that and all it does is cycle between a quick menu, blank screen, and cluttered live view. I also tried pressing "OK" like on my MX-1. Doesn't work, either. Pressing the "OK" button on the Q activates focus magnification. If I disable focus magnification in the menu pressing the "OK" button doesn't do anything to the display. This is a real problem beyond criticisms of write times, sensor size, lack of a fast wide prime, or anything else. This is like someone standing in front of the lens obscuring one's view. In the name of all that is good and holy, it can't be intended for this info to always be displayed.
09-07-2014, 03:10 PM   #4
Forum Member

Interestingly, it seems the Q doesn't provide a view without the overlay information, but the Q7 does. When cycling with the Info button, the Q7 gives you the option of "Standard information display", "No information display" or "Display off". It seems the Q only gives you the standard information display or display off completely (which isn't very useful when you have no EVF).

09-07-2014, 04:19 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobdobbs Quote
Interestingly, it seems the Q doesn't provide a view without the overlay information, but the Q7 does. When cycling with the Info button, the Q7 gives you the option of "Standard information display", "No information display" or "Display off". It seems the Q only gives you the standard information display or display off completely (which isn't very useful when you have no EVF).
Unbelievable. What non-photographer at Pentax thought a completely cluttered display was good idea?Oh wait, someone clearly realized how ignorant it was and changed it in the Q7.Surely there is a firmware fix for this. I am gobsmacked with disbelief; utterly beside myself. Is there at least a way to turn off the over/under exposure indicator? At least I can completely turn off the display on my viewfinderless camera. WTH...???

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 09-07-2014 at 04:26 PM.
09-07-2014, 04:32 PM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
Surely there is a firmware fix for this.
I thought so too, so I went and grabbed the latest firmware. No dice, same behavior.
09-07-2014, 05:05 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
I can't seem to find this in the manual. There is so much crap displayed on the LCD that can't see the very top or very bottom of the frame for composing a shot (or left and right in portrait). I know what's on and off, I'm the one who selected the settings, so I don't need to see that I'm in manual focus, or that that shake reduction is on, AWB is on, manual exposure is on, what metering mode I'm in, single frame or remote control shooting, etc., etc. Add the under/over indicator to all that nonsense and an entire 1/5th of the frame is obscured. Shooting at night exacerbates the problem exponentially.

Is the information shown on the Qs LCD opaque or is it translucent? On the Q7 this information is translucent so it does not really get in the way and you can see the full frame of the image. Shutting it off does not gain anything.
Denny
09-07-2014, 05:22 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
Is the information shown on the Qs LCD opaque or is it translucent? On the Q7 this information is translucent so it does not really get in the way and you can see the full frame of the image. Shutting it off does not gain anything.
I think you misunderstand what we're looking at. On both the Q and the Q7, there is an information overlay on the screen, and it's not translucent:

On the Q7 you can shut the information off. On the Q, you cannot.

09-07-2014, 05:37 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think you misunderstand what we're looking at. On both the Q and the Q7, there is an information overlay on the screen, and it's not translucent:

I did understand and in support of what I was saying, your example clearly shows that while the information may be somewhat of a distraction it does not change the size of the image that can be seen on the LCD and since it is not opaque you can see the image behind it. Personally I am surprised that someone would not want to see that information but I guess not every photographer works the same way hence the ability to shut off this info on the Q7.

Denny
09-07-2014, 06:35 PM   #10
Forum Member

No, the superimposed text and graphics cover what is behind them. Even if it's only a small amount, that meets no defnition of translucency I know of.

Regardless, the OP wishes to shut it off. Telling him he shouldn't want that -- because you want to see it and don't find it distracting -- is besides the point now isn't it?
09-07-2014, 07:33 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster

Okay, now, add the over/under exposure meter to the mix and you have an unusable frame for critical composition.

In doing the research I considered all the limitations that have been brought up, time and time again, since it's release. Nothing I discovered during my research was a deal breaker so, after much consideration, I decided the Q would serve purposes beyond my initial considerations and I bought into the system. Never for a moment, not in my wildest "how bad can Pentax eff this up" dreams, did I consider something like this could be implemented in the design. Even my old Canon A95 has the option to display the frame without distraction. It would never occur to me for even a nanosecond that a camera maker would do anything to obstruct the view when composing a shot. Never. It is an anathema to the very act of using a camera.

I certainly want to have access to such information when it is needed but it is never needed while composing the frame. One does not compose a frame based on technical data. One composes a frame based on aesthetics. Once the frame is set, then the technical data is used to capture an accurately exposed image of the subject within the frame. This isn't something open to debate, either. I've worked with some of the best DPs in the world and observed how they work for almost 20 years.

I've read and even participated in a few of the conversations about what Pentax could be, how their gear is a good as anyone's, etc, etc. It's all good fun for me and I own Pentax gear because I've gotten it at a good price and it serves my purposes for my hobby. Nevertheless, it doesn't change what I do for a living and what my vocation exposes me to.

I was recently hired to work a couple of days on a new network television show and, walking by the camera cart, noticed the DP had chosen some Canon lenses for the show's package. As I continued to set the thought briefly occurred to me that I'll never see a 2nd AC pulling a Pentax lens out of a camera case, ever. Of course, Pentax doesn't make cine lenses. I thought about that today in light of my discovery yesterday. I thought about why they never made it that far in the camera world.

I realize that the Q is a "consumer" product but so was the aforementioned Canon. Early in my career, my second or third time on set, a DP admonished me to, "Play like you work and work like you play." It means whatever you do it should be done with the same attention to detail and exacting standards, it's how one's character is judged; at work and at play. This inability to maintain the highest level of attention to detail at all levels is what will forever keep Pentax from being taken seriously by the highest end "customers". Not only will there will never be a time on set when I see a 2nd AC pulling a Pentax lens out of a lens case, but there will never be a time when the on-set stills photographer shows up with a Pentax camera in her blimp; it will always be a Canon or a Nikon because Pentax has established that whatever reputation they might have been developing in the long, far distant, past, it is moot today.

It is most certainly the "small things" that count.

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 09-07-2014 at 08:37 PM.
09-07-2014, 07:42 PM   #12
Forum Member

Although it's not something that bothers me partcularly, I agree it's an annoyance that you can't shut it off. Still, I can't help thinking how many of my Q's pictures are keepers, and how much fun I have using it, more than my Q7, or GR. Several years on, I still love the thing, despite how obviously flawed it is.
09-07-2014, 07:53 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Although it's not something that bothers me partcularly, I agree it's an annoyance that you can't shut it off. Still, I can't help thinking how many of my Q's pictures are keepers, and how much fun I have using it, more than my Q7, or GR. Several years on, I still love the thing, despite how obviously flawed it is.
I'm "blowin' off steam" to avoid immediately listing it on Ebay but I stand by my statements above. I really am disgusted with Pentax at the moment. They're a camera company for hobbyists and endorsees.
09-07-2014, 08:06 PM   #14
Forum Member

Now now, put the thing in a drawer and shoot with something else for a while. In a few months, you'll come back to it, realize how much you missed it and all will be forgotten.

If you sell it, you'll get next to nothing for it, and always regret it.
09-07-2014, 08:23 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Now now, put the thing in a drawer and shoot with something else for a while. In a few months, you'll come back to it, realize how much you missed it and all will be forgotten.

If you sell it, you'll get next to nothing for it, and always regret it.
Hahaha. What's truly funny (in a not really funny at all sort of way) is that shooting with another camera is how all this started. I was shooting with my Canonet yesterday then when I switched to the Q I realized how distracting all the info was and broke out the manual to learn how to hide it. Clearly I was unsuccessful; frustratingly so because it was getting dark and I was trying to frame out some specific elements. There was a swell from hurricane Norbit and a full moon so surfers at Doheny were staying on the water into dusk as the full moon was rising. The ability to see the the frame in it's entirety was important; something Pentax missed in the photography 101 course.

More ironically, I bought an Olympus XA on impulse yesterday to put in my "camera you have" bag because the Canonet is a bit large. The XA made the perfect "full frame" companion to the Q in the same way that the Canonet makes the perfect "full frame" companion to my K-30.

The shooting conditions yesterday were clearly not ideal for the Q, but it was doable except from the standpoint of composing the shots without worrying about later having to crop images from such a tiny sensor. The Q was the camera I chose yesterday to be the "camera you have" with the intention of it permanently filling that role in the future. The plan is/was to have a very small bag for the car or motorbike (see the waxed bag thread) to carry a Q "prime package" that includes the K adapter for a 50mm 1.4 and, as a full frame compliment, a small 35mm rangefinder (the XA).

What chaps me the most is it could have probably been fixed quite easily in firmware but they never did it even after tacitly acknowledging it was a shoddy design element.

I'll try to figure out a way to make Pentax's "amateur hour" design decision less of an obstacle. I'll never recommend the Pentax brand again, however.

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 09-07-2014 at 09:44 PM.