Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2014, 04:56 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by knightzerox Quote
Yes, and now the Q-S1 is a hair bigger than the Q7. It overall feels good. I'll try and get a shot of my holding the camera, but I hold it two ways depending if I'm using AF lock or not. Normally I hold it with my finger on top of the shutter button and my thumb extended on the back, like most people. When using the green button for AF lock, I have my thumb more bent and hitting the button with the tip of my thumb almost. Also my finger will "hook" more around the knob.

I actually just got the body, the 01 lens I've had since the first Q. They are however offering the prime in a kit lens when you order a custom color, it will even come matching to the body in silver , gunmetal, black, and gold I believe.

All the photos above are in JPEG from the camera as is. Of course not the pro looking shots of the Q-S1 itself. I will provide some RAW's later. Thank you.
Thanks for the info on the size. I did not realize they had increased the size again over the Q7. I will be interested to see how your hand comfortably adjusts to that body shape. The knob still seems a bit strange.

It appears that this last series of shots of the motorcycle model and the ME Super ( I also have two of those I used for shooting weddings way back when) were done at f1.9. Might I suggest shooting them at f7.1 to 8.0 to increase depth of field.

Denny

09-11-2014, 05:06 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
F8 is really low for a Q.
09-11-2014, 07:10 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
Thanks for the info on the size. I did not realize they had increased the size again over the Q7. I will be interested to see how your hand comfortably adjusts to that body shape. The knob still seems a bit strange.

It appears that this last series of shots of the motorcycle model and the ME Super ( I also have two of those I used for shooting weddings way back when) were done at f1.9. Might I suggest shooting them at f7.1 to 8.0 to increase depth of field.

Denny
Hi, as requested I've taken some shots at f8 for you. And yes, f8 is really low for a Q, usually f4-5 is plenty of DOF. I'm not sure when diffraction starts on the 01 lens, but I think it's after f6.3? In any case, here are the photos. The first one is with Auto HDR, which I love on the Q.

Pentax Q-S1 01 Prime f8 , Auto HDR -3 EV
Name:  IMGP0290.jpg
Views: 988
Size:  135.0 KB

Pentax Q-S1 01 Prime f8, +1 EV
Name:  IMGP0293.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  78.7 KB
09-11-2014, 07:13 PM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
F8 is really low for a Q.
Not if you're trying to get the max depth of field so the entire object appears to be in focus.

Denny

---------- Post added 09-11-14 at 07:35 PM ----------

Hi, as requested I've taken some shots at f8 for you. And yes, f8 is really low for a Q, usually f4-5 is plenty of DOF. I'm not sure when diffraction starts on the 01 lens, but I think it's after f6.3? In any case, here are the photos. The first one is with Auto HDR, which I love on the Q.

Pentax Q-S1 01 Prime f8 , Auto HDR -3 EV
Attachment 236906

Pentax Q-S1 01 Prime f8, +1 EV
Attachment 236907
Yes f8 does require more time for the exposure but look at how crisp and sharp the entire Yashica camera is. The front as well as the knob to the rear.
As I have said in the past IMHO Diffraction is grossly over stated and the tests used to detect it are quite misleading because they focus on a flat surface and ignore the increase in depth of field which more than compensates for any diffraction. Thanks for posting those images.

Denny

09-11-2014, 07:43 PM   #20

Original Poster
Here's the re-touched version of the above photo!

Name:  IMGP0290-finished.jpg
Views: 909
Size:  70.3 KB

Last edited by knightzerox; 09-11-2014 at 08:56 PM.
09-11-2014, 08:47 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
Not if you're trying to get the max depth of field so the entire object appears to be in focus.

Denny

---------- Post added 09-11-14 at 07:35 PM ----------

Yes f8 does require more time for the exposure but look at how crisp and sharp the entire Yashica camera is. The front as well as the knob to the rear.
As I have said in the past IMHO Diffraction is grossly over stated and the tests used to detect it are quite misleading because they focus on a flat surface and ignore the increase in depth of field which more than compensates for any diffraction. Thanks for posting those images.
The F8 images are noticeably softer than the previous images, so I'd imagine that diffraction has left its mark. Whether or not to stop down to increase DOF is a creative decision which is based on what the photographer is trying to achieve. One is not objectively better than the other.
09-12-2014, 02:02 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Would it be too much to ask for a full size raw photo to be posted on a cloud storage somewhere? I m keen to have a play with the original raw file in lightroom....
09-12-2014, 03:56 PM - 2 Likes   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Would it be too much to ask for a full size raw photo to be posted on a cloud storage somewhere? I m keen to have a play with the original raw file in lightroom....

Here you go. I've provided the RAW + JPEG versions at 100, 200, 400, 800, and 1600 ISO.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hkceoarkj8g0trp/AAD1nTuZWn8PCHs0fiQkb-aPa?dl=0

09-12-2014, 04:01 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Many thanks knightzerox. Greatly Appreciated.
09-13-2014, 03:14 AM   #25

Hi. Some website says that the grip is user replaceable. Is this correct? Thanks
09-13-2014, 11:34 AM   #26
Site Supporter

Here you go. I've provided the RAW + JPEG versions at 100, 200, 400, 800, and 1600 ISO.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hkceoarkj8g0trp/AAD1nTuZWn8PCHs0fiQkb-aPa?dl=0
Thanks! That was really great of you to provide this!
09-14-2014, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #27

Original Poster
Quick Update, looks like my full video review will have to wait till sometime this week.

Useability: The one thing Q does so well is feel like a mini DSLR and provide nearly all the functionality you'd need in a professional camera. Obviously not everything is available, but the menu system is well laid out, fast, and quick to get to key photographic adjustments like shutter speed, aperture, exposure compensation, AF mode/Size, white balance, and metering. It's very easy for a photographer to get the camera where they want it to be, which makes it a joy to use and shoot with.

Responsiveness: As stated, the menu system feels very quick and AF is very fast. It almost feels instantaneous whether I am shooting macro or landscape. Even in low light, AF seems to fast and equal to or better than it's peers.

Image Quality: This is a big one for most, and here is what I can tell you from the cameras I own to compare with. Compared to the original Q, the IQ is substantially better and very good. I cannot compare it to a Q7 as I do not have one, however, I have a Nikon P340 which has one of the newest 1/1.7" sensors in it, and compared to that camera, it has better IQ. At first I thought the Nikon was better, but that turned out only to be because I was looking at the images on the Nikon on it's higher resolution screen during shooting test images. When looked at them side by side on a computer or zoomed to 100% on the cameras, the Pentax Q has more detail and sharpness, but a bit more noise ( color noise taking a higher weight ). IF a casual user were to pick both cameras up and compare them on the screens, they may be fooled. The Q-S1 still has the 461K screen, and doesn't show the quality of the images until zoomed in very far in. The Nikon looks great until you start looking for the details up close. The Nikon however, does do better on the noise cleanup. I feel Nikon in general has a bit heavy handed on noise reduction, as even with the settings turned to low ( you cannot turn it off on the Nikon ) and looking at the RAW, the images were much more clean but had mushy detail. But the Q-S1's had more detail and better clarity, even if noisier.

I prefer to have a higher noise image with sharper details that I can always clean up after if I need to with good software than lose the IQ, but for casual users that always shoot JPEGS, the Nikon May look good at first due to the higher resolution screen, but the Pentax Q-S1's IQ is still better ,even with noise.

Speaking of JPEG vs RAW, the original Q had a very big difference between these two file formats. As I am now seeing with the Q-S1, it seems Pentax has done a great job of getting the JPEG engine to get really good images from the camera. I'd say there is only a 5-10% in IQ between RAW and JPEG, and yes, even after editing the RAW the RAW is better, but I think 95% of people will not care. I believe it's gotten to where shooting in RAW for the Q-S1 may only be necessary if you need maximum IQ or for situations where post processing will be required due to the dynamic range of the image. I only shoot RAW, but on the Q, I would get away with the JPEG. My suggested situations to shoot RAW would be for the Q-S1

1. Max IQ - Shoot RAW
2. Difficult Image/ Dynamic Range - shoot RAW
3. Once in a lifetime Vacation? - Shoot RAW+
4. Pro work - RAW+ ( The JPEGS are really nice )

Everything else the JPEGS do a really good job.

The Bad news:
1. Raw write times are still slow, taking 1-2 seconds at worst, but fast enough where it isn't completely detrimental as the original Q. So overall an improvement, but could be better.
2. The IQ is really good, but I'd call it a style of "noisy detail". I suspect the sensor is the same as the Q7 but with a few more tweaks. When the next sensor update comes out ,such as using the one in the Nikon P340 or whatever else is available, I think IQ concerns will be mostly unnecessary. It does more than good enough for me to produce great photos, as seen by those I've posted above.

Overall:

The new Pentax Q-S1 is fantastic, and overall shows how the camera has matured. A lot of the slow response times, slow AF, write speeds, IQ , comfort have been resolved. It's still a joy to use, and now makes it very quick to startup, adjust some settings, and take a shot. All with controls that are easy to access, and adjust. Those that have had a Q know that this was it's strongest selling point other than it's compactness, but IQ and overall speed hurt it. With the larger sensor, wider focal lengths, and very fast AF, I think this is a very strong and well made camera. The camera feels solid, still feels good in the hands for probably most people, the knob doesn't get in the way for me, and the new styling is great as well.

I'm very happy with the camera, and when the Q-S2 or S3 comes out , with even better sensors and features, it will be very very hard to take a K3. In all honestly, I like to carry both when I go on vacation and use either when the situation calls for it. For Q7 owners, this may not be an upgrade if you feel some of these things have been addressed, already, but for new users or those upgrade from a Q/Q10, it's a giant step up. Had this been the camera show 3 years ago, this would be the number one compact ILS, and in fact, I sitll feel it is if you want small + Good IQ, and full SLR level options and useability. A great tool for photographers.

I'll have a more thorough review later this week with much more details. I usually plan on doing 1-2 hour video reviews of cameras, so stay tuned.

Last edited by knightzerox; 09-14-2014 at 04:00 PM.
09-14-2014, 04:48 PM   #28
Site Supporter

Thanks for the report. Looking forward to your video when you get it completed. Your findings seem to mirror what I found when comparing the Q to the Q10 and then to the Q7.
09-23-2014, 09:29 PM   #29

O.O!! Please somebody do a q7 and q s1 comparison I want to order my firs q. There is no other good reviews on the web. Great post
09-24-2014, 02:24 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by coyot3 Quote
O.O!! Please somebody do a q7 and q s1 comparison I want to order my firs q. There is no other good reviews on the web. Great post

Me agree. I would like to see a comparison review too