Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2014, 03:54 PM   #31

Original Poster
Hey guys, sorry for the delay. Been very busy at work and trying to get things setup for my backpacking trip. I will be taking the Q-S1 hiking with me in New Zealand! It's turning out to be the best mini DSLR hiking camera you can get. I'm very much debating leaving the K-3 at the hotel since I will be hiking 3 days.

I'll be starting to record the review of the Q-S1 tonight. I don't have a Q7, but I think my in-depth review will help those that may have a Q7 figure out the differences.

09-24-2014, 04:11 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Looking forward to this. Please make haste :-)
09-24-2014, 06:32 PM   #33
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by knightzerox Quote
Hey guys, sorry for the delay. Been very busy at work and trying to get things setup for my backpacking trip. I will be taking the Q-S1 hiking with me in New Zealand! It's turning out to be the best mini DSLR hiking camera you can get. I'm very much debating leaving the K-3 at the hotel since I will be hiking 3 days.

I'll be starting to record the review of the Q-S1 tonight. I don't have a Q7, but I think my in-depth review will help those that may have a Q7 figure out the differences.
What on earth are you going to NZ for---- it is full of us kiwis
Careful with the Q-S1 on our landscapes. Presumably it has a better dynamic range than the Q. I did a 12 day hike in the sth island with the Q last summer and managed to fry most of the clouds. A bit more experience with the Q and I would have known to underexpose by about 2/3 of a stop and the clouds would have been under control.
Where is your hike?
09-24-2014, 07:58 PM   #34

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
What on earth are you going to NZ for---- it is full of us kiwis
Careful with the Q-S1 on our landscapes. Presumably it has a better dynamic range than the Q. I did a 12 day hike in the sth island with the Q last summer and managed to fry most of the clouds. A bit more experience with the Q and I would have known to underexpose by about 2/3 of a stop and the clouds would have been under control.
Where is your hike?
I've never been to NZ, and a co-worker of mine who was born there is heading back tonight to go visit! It seems like a great place to vacation, so I said why not! I'll be going from Auckburn to Te Anau over 15 days and stopping at locations over the island.

I'll be hiking the Routeburn Track, been preparing for the hike and of course, weight is an issue. I'm planning on bringing the K-3 and Q-S1 for the trip, and debating the K-3 for the hike.

You're right, the getting all of the dynamic range of those landscapes can be very tough for smaller sensor cameras, however, there are tricks! I'll be talking about that in the review, but I also noticed that the dynamic range is smaller, but not as much as you might think compared to the K-3. Shooting underexposed, bracketing, or setting the Q to AUTO HDR, works really well. AUTO HDR is actually very good, the other two modes for HDR I do not like as much. Auto is the most natural and it does a pretty good job.

09-25-2014, 01:14 AM   #35
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter

I've never been to NZ, and a co-worker of mine who was born there is heading back tonight to go visit! It seems like a great place to vacation, so I said why not! I'll be going from Auckburn to Te Anau over 15 days and stopping at locations over the island.

I'll be hiking the Routeburn Track, been preparing for the hike and of course, weight is an issue. I'm planning on bringing the K-3 and Q-S1 for the trip, and debating the K-3 for the hike.

You're right, the getting all of the dynamic range of those landscapes can be very tough for smaller sensor cameras, however, there are tricks! I'll be talking about that in the review, but I also noticed that the dynamic range is smaller, but not as much as you might think compared to the K-3. Shooting underexposed, bracketing, or setting the Q to AUTO HDR, works really well. AUTO HDR is actually very good, the other two modes for HDR I do not like as much. Auto is the most natural and it does a pretty good job.
The Routeburn is a good choice. I have not done it myself but that is coz I am spoilt for choice. Of course the weather will make a big difference and that area of the South Island does wet really well. Something to bear in mind seeing you have a K3.
Here is a shot with the Q on our trip last summer. From Albert Burn Saddle. That is Mt Aspiring we are looking sort of south at. I think it will be 20 to 30 kms NE of where you are going and if the weather is good you should see it. The snow shows what I mean about fighting the Dynamic Range. I used the 8.5 mm for the whole trip and looking at the results probably at least 25% of the finals are stitchs. So bear that in mind when you are choosing lens. I also carried a pentrax M 50mm which was great when I chanced across some Kea-- the NZ alpine parrot.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
09-25-2014, 07:40 AM   #36

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
The Routeburn is a good choice. I have not done it myself but that is coz I am spoilt for choice. Of course the weather will make a big difference and that area of the South Island does wet really well. Something to bear in mind seeing you have a K3.
Here is a shot with the Q on our trip last summer. From Albert Burn Saddle. That is Mt Aspiring we are looking sort of south at. I think it will be 20 to 30 kms NE of where you are going and if the weather is good you should see it. The snow shows what I mean about fighting the Dynamic Range. I used the 8.5 mm for the whole trip and looking at the results probably at least 25% of the finals are stitchs. So bear that in mind when you are choosing lens. I also carried a pentrax M 50mm which was great when I chanced across some Kea-- the NZ alpine parrot.
Wow those are some really great shots. I see what you mean about the snow caps. I'm pretty familiar with the Q's limitations, but thankfully Pentax has been making improvements in each model. The Nikpn P340 I picked up at the same time as the Q-S1 has a bit better dynamic range, same senor size.

You've just made my lens choices much more complicated. I have over 20+ K mount lenses, and all Q lenses but the toy ( except fish eye ).

The Q-S1 does fantastic in good lighting, like most cameras, and I will be using a Nodal Ninja 3 mkII to make stitched photos using the 01 Prime. I can get anywhere from 126-150 megapixel images that way which addresses any concerns on resolution or print size, in a compact package. However, for Astrophotography and Wet weather, the K-3 still wins. AP can be done on the Q-S1, using some workarounds and other post processing techniques, but the Q's sensors have always been "hot" or noisy. They tend to get a lot of signal noise at any long exposures, even at base ISO, but they do capture detail. It's a tradeoff, and I think with the Noise Reduction out these days it's less of a concern in Post if you really want to fix. In small print or web use, it's mostly irrelevant.

I'm partially off work today, and it's a bright sunny day to test out one last feature of the Q-S1. Using multi-exposure to get clean low-light images vs the 32 second exposure limit in Bulb mode. Will try to get something out today, thanks for the patience.
09-25-2014, 02:31 PM   #37

Original Poster
Time for a game! I am recording the section of the review now, but until it's uploaded to YouTube, see if you can guess which one is the Q-S1, and which is the K3! (K-3 images reduced by 50% to match scale, but not to worry , there wasn't any additional detail that is really shown at 100% )

*EDIT* ISO on all images were matched. Aperture on the K-3 was stopped down to match DOF as best I could. These were shot as JPG.

Right-Click and hit View Image to see full size image!

Last edited by knightzerox; 09-25-2014 at 03:29 PM.
09-25-2014, 02:55 PM   #38
Veteran Member

My guesses-
Tree bark: left K-3, right Q
House and fence: left Q, right K-3
TV: left Q, right K-3

09-25-2014, 03:05 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tree bark: left K-3, right Q
House and fence: left Q, right K-3
TV: left K-3, right Q
09-25-2014, 03:16 PM   #40
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This is assuming the settings on both cameras were the same however based on the differential between the images on one side and the other, I am wondering if the settings such as ISO were the same. Were these shot as JPG or RAW?

First image of the tree
K3 on the right, Q-S1 on the left.

Second Image of houses
Q-S1 on the right, K-3 on the left There is more noise in the right side image.

Bottom images of TV
09-25-2014, 03:26 PM   #41

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
This is assuming the settings on both camera’s were the same however based on the differential between the images on one side and the other, I am wondering if the settings such as ISO were the same. Were these shot as JPG or RAW?

First image of the tree
K3 on the right, Q-S1 on the left.

Second Image of houses

Bottom images of TV

Hi, sorry I forgot to mention.

ISO on all images were matched. Aperture on the K-3 was stopped down to match DOF as best I could. These were shot as JPG. I'll post a RAW to RAW comparison after this one.
09-25-2014, 04:49 PM   #42
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi, sorry I forgot to mention.

ISO on all images were matched. Aperture on the K-3 was stopped down to match DOF as best I could. These were shot as JPG. I'll post a RAW to RAW comparison after this one.
you are really making us put our neck on the block!!!
By pixel peeping I think I can tell which images are taken by the same camera. Now to guess which set of 3 belong to which camera!!
Sensing more in camera sharpening on one set and may be less DR---
so-- Q K
K Q
K Q
Whatever the result it is clear the Q S1 is great.
09-25-2014, 06:39 PM   #43

Original Poster
Congratulations to CWRailman and GUB for getting the correct order!

The Pentax Q-S1 does a great job, and can very well match or exceed a K-3 in certain situations. In low-light conditions, the K-3 wins, no questions. But in decent light and up, the Q-S1 does a really great job.

The Tree image was taking with a K-3 and FA 100 WR Macro, a very sharp lens at f8. The other two with a Sigma 10-20, I believe also at f8 or f 11.
09-25-2014, 07:32 PM   #44
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Considering the difference in crop factor, I thought you did an excellent job of matching depth of field as well as composition in producing those samples. I would be interested to know what the F stops were for the K verses the Q. In doing similar testing I am finding the depth of field from my Q7 with 01 Prime lens stopped down to f8 is about the same as my K-5 or K-5IIs with the kit 18-55 lens zoomed to 38mm and stopped down to f29.
09-25-2014, 07:53 PM   #45

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
Considering the difference in crop factor, I thought you did an excellent job of matching depth of field as well as composition in producing those samples. I would be interested to know what the F stops were for the K verses the Q. In doing similar testing I am finding the depth of field from my Q7 with 01 Prime lens stopped down to f8 is about the same as my K-5 or K-5IIs with the kit 18-55 lens zoomed to 38mm and stopped down to f29.
Thank you, I wanted to make sure the images were as close as possible. It's still very hard to match DOF as the Q's smaller sensor just has vast amounts of sharpness across, great for macro and telephoto.

Here is what I have for the images:

Tree Photo:

Q-S1
Color Space: sRGB
Components Configuration: 1, 2, 3, 0
Contrast: Hard
Custom Rendered: Normal process
Date Time Digitized: Sep 25, 2014, 1:29:17 PM
Date Time Original: Sep 25, 2014, 1:29:17 PM
Exif Version: 2.3
Exposure Bias Value: 0
Exposure Mode: Auto exposure
Exposure Program: Aperture priority
Exposure Time: 1/500
File Source: DSC
Flash: Off, did not fire
FlashPix Version: 1.0
FNumber: 2.8
Focal Length: 43.9
Focal Length In 35mm Film: 202
Photographic Sensitivity (ISO): 100
Lens Make: PENTAX
Lens Model: 06 TELEPHOTO ZOOM
Lens Specification: 15, 45, 2.8, 2.8
Metering Mode: CenterWeightedAverage
Pixel X Dimension: 4,000
Pixel Y Dimension: 3,000
Saturation: High saturation
Scene Capture Type: Standard
Scene Type: A directly photographed image
Sensing Method: One-chip color area sensor
Sharpness: Hard
Subject Distance Range: Distant view
White Balance: Auto white balance
Image Stabilization: 5
Lens ID: 5,382
Lens Info: 15, 45, 2.8, 2.8
Lens Model: 06 TELEPHOTO ZOOM

K-3
Color Space: sRGB
Components Configuration: 1, 2, 3, 0
Contrast: Hard
Custom Rendered: Normal process
Date Time Digitized: Sep 25, 2014, 2:02:00 PM
Date Time Original: Sep 25, 2014, 2:02:00 PM
Exif Version: 2.3
Exposure Bias Value: 0
Exposure Mode: Auto exposure
Exposure Program: Aperture priority
Exposure Time: 1/100
File Source: DSC
Flash: Off, did not fire
FlashPix Version: 1.0
FNumber: 8
Focal Length: 100
Focal Length In 35mm Film: 150
Photographic Sensitivity (ISO): 100
Metering Mode: CenterWeightedAverage
Pixel X Dimension: 6,016
Pixel Y Dimension: 4,000
Saturation: Normal
Scene Capture Type: Standard
Scene Type: A directly photographed image
Sensing Method: One-chip color area sensor
SensitivityType: Standard output sensitivity (SOS)
Sharpness: Hard
StandardOutputSensitivity: 100
Subject Distance Range: Close view
White Balance: Auto white balance
Focus Mode: 0
Lens ID: 1,850
Lens Model: smc PENTAX-D FA Macro 100mm F2.8 WR