Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2014, 09:22 PM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Interesting that the images compared the Q-S1 at f2.8 verses the K3 at f8. Also based on both being shot at ISO 100 I am a bit surprised at the amount of noise the Q-S1 produced, however the hard sharpness and high saturation may have contributed to the levels of noise in the dark areas.

09-25-2014, 09:23 PM   #47

Original Poster
Quick update on video review, it's just under 2 hours long and needs to upload about 8 GB to YouTube. Hopefully it will be ready sometime tomorrow, thanks.

---------- Post added 09-25-14 at 09:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
Interesting that the images compared the Q-S1 at f2.8 verses the K3 at f8. Also based on both being shot at ISO 100 I am a bit surprised at the amount of noise the Q-S1 produced, however the hard sharpness and high saturation may have contributed to the levels of noise in the dark areas.

I can explain a bit on the sharpness and contrast, I still had my JPG image settings set a notch or two higher than the defaults for the camera. I believe I had left it on those settings as those were what were on my old Q but after all the test shots I'm now reverting them back to the original settings. I agree the sharpness and contrast is just a tad bit too much, and this should help.

The K-3 may need to have been shot at f16 or even f32, but it would be pushing my ability to hand hold at those speeds since this is with the 18-135 fully extended. That is another point people forget, that the images are getting more DOF AND faster shutter speeds with the smaller sensor.
09-25-2014, 09:42 PM   #48
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by knightzerox Quote
The K-3 may need to have been shot at f16 or even f32, but it would be pushing my ability to hand hold at those speeds since this is with the 18-135 fully extended. That is another point people forget, that the images are getting more DOF AND faster shutter speeds with the smaller sensor.
The smaller sensor depth of field is the main reason I am experimenting with the Q series of camera's. The Q and Q10 had good depth of field but I settled on the Q7 because it produces the same depth of field but has a lot more detail.
09-25-2014, 10:13 PM - 1 Like   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am keen to know if there are substantial improvements between the Q7 and the Q-S1...anyone knows?

09-26-2014, 02:42 PM   #50
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
I am keen to know if there are substantial improvements between the Q7 and the Q-S1...anyone knows?
Everything I have read indicates that the two are the same camera inside with only cosmetic/ergnomic changes.... and an aluminum body for the Q-S1 versus the polycarbonate of the Q7. I miss the magnesium of the original Q.
09-26-2014, 03:37 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
Everything I have read indicates that the two are the same camera inside with only cosmetic/ergnomic changes.... and an aluminum body for the Q-S1 versus the polycarbonate of the Q7. I miss the magnesium of the original Q.
Thanks Biro. I know that the Q-S1 has AF in video mode and seem to have better start time...but in terms of IQ difference with the Q7... Are we saying they are almost identical?

---------- Post added 09-26-2014 at 04:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by knightzerox Quote
Quick update on video review, it's just under 2 hours long and needs to upload about 8 GB to YouTube. Hopefully it will be ready sometime tomorrow, thanks
Hi Knightzerox, what is the URL of the YouTube video?
09-26-2014, 04:01 PM   #52

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Thanks Biro. I know that the Q-S1 has AF in video mode and seem to have better start time...but in terms of IQ difference with the Q7... Are we saying they are almost identical?

---------- Post added 09-26-2014 at 04:39 PM ----------

Hi Knightzerox, what is the URL of the YouTube video?
Hi, it's still not up yet :\ It's failed three times to upload because of disk space or connection issues. I've cleared everything up and am now forcing it to fully write out the video first then will upload. It's about 18 GB, so it takes a while to transcode in Final Cut Pro.

I will say the AF in video mode, while works, seems to be a little off sometimes. It will change focus but don't expect super fast or accurate focus changes all the time, but a nice to have. To be fair , my Nikon isn't great at doing AF movie focusing either.
09-27-2014, 07:26 AM   #53

Original Poster
Quick Update. Video will be online in 30 minutes finally!

Second, I will probably have to make a Part 2 video as I didn't get to go in depth as I like on IQ and some other techniques.

To address Noise, Dynamic Range, and Resolution, the three key items I would want to take a K-3 or Larger sensor format camera for, can be addressed by doing a multi-stitch HDR photo. What I mean is stitching the Q's AUTO HDR photos together, which creates a high-resolution image with less clipping of highlights and shadows.

This technique still won't work as well for night/astro photography shots since the sensor simply gets too noisy for long exposures, even at base ISO's. It does well for it's class of camera since it retains much more detail versus over softening the image.

Below is a 55 MP shot combined during an early morning where the clouds were being clipped until I shot in AUTO HDR

10 AUTO HDR images, 01 prime f/1.9 1/500

---------- Post added 09-27-14 at 07:47 AM ----------

Video is uploaded and now being processed by YouTube. You can view it here:

Hopefully it will be viewable soon enough.