Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2014, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
And I would advise you to not invest too much money in the Q system either. You might find yourself wanting to upgrade to a DSLR very soon. Q is a viable system in relative terms, but it also has its shortcomings: difficult to throw the background out of focus during portrait shots unless you have the 06 telephoto lens, low light performance that cannot match a DSLR (for obvious reasons), and an autfocus system that is of limited efficacy, i.e., if you are gonna take pictures of kids bouncing hither and thither, the Q is not going to be up to the task. I used to own two Qs and four lenses, and I ended up selling everything, for the simple reason that the limitations to the system became to much of an annoyance in the long run. Even so, I do like the Q system, and I stand by my glowing reviews.
Much of this is true but like all tools, each camera has it’s strengths. You do not use a hammer to fix a watch nor a screwdriver to pound nails. As Blunty says in his review the Q series is NOT for everyone. The strengths and weaknesses of the Q series (I am referring to all the models in this series including the latest model) have been well documented in reviews and on many of the boards. People who ignore those reviews and purchase a Q series camera and expect it to do something for which it was not designed are disappointed.

One of the Q’s series camera’s strength is it’s depth of field which makes it less desirable as a portrait or head shot camera. (Though as I mentioned in another post I have used it for head shots for which I was paid.) However, check out the photo’s in my album or go to my WEB site and see images shot with the Q that make use of that strength in depth of field. While I have a Pentax K110, a K-5, and a K-5IIs and use them for their strengths, the Q7’s that I own are better at taking the types of photo’s I show in the areas I mentioned above. While I know I have seen some folks do so with good results, considering the cameras I have to choose from, I doubt the Q7 would be my first choice on any of my extended motorcycle touring trips.

Another strength is the lens focal length multiplication factor that applies when using the appropriate adapter and other lenses. While that is not one of the reasons I purchased the Q system, I have ordered an adapter and will try some shots using Pentax 110 series lenses as has been mentioned in another post here.

I am also intrigued by the street shots some folks have posted. I know from experience that when using a full size DSLR camera, people are more aware of it and less likely to cooperate but the small size of the Q series make it less conspicuous in such situations. Remember the Ashton Kutcher advertisements showing him pulling the Nikon out of his pocket at a party and how cool it was to start shooting images of people at the party. The Q series with the 01 prime lens is similar and is a real conversation starter at parties and you can put it back in your pocket and not worry about someone stealing it while your partying. Try that with a DSLR.

Think of the Q as one of the tools in your tool box. In the future, as you define your interests in photography, you may add more tools better suited for the type of photographs you want to shoot at that time. Maybe a DSLR or larger mirror less camera. Remember that many folks commenting here have numerous tools in their tool box thus have alternatives to using the Q for everything.

So the question is not which lens you should purchase first but rather what type of photography interests you today. That will define what lens you should consider purchasing. Whatever you decide as the quoted comment alludes to, work with what you currently have and see if it suits your needs before spending money on additional lenses.

Denny

09-13-2014, 10:57 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35millimeter Quote
There is an excellent thread pinned at the top of the Q forum for adapted lenses - click here It's well worth a look and there are lots of sample images.

As far as a DSLR is concerned I guess it depends on your budget, the features that are important to you and your expectations. I have a K500 and love it, although some critics berate it for missing one or two features. Moving up the range there is the K50 which is well regarded for the money. HOwever, you don't have to go to to the expense of a new DSLR if you can't afford one. For example, I wanted a backup camera to my K500 so I recently bought a secondhand K-100D with the 18-55mm kit lens for well under £100 from eBay. It's only got a 6mp sensor, doesn't have live view and doesn't shoot video, but none of that bothers me and I think the results from it are excellent, especially for what it cost me! The big advantage I find with the DSLRs over the Q and other compacts is the lack of shutter lag. Obviously DSLRs will have a much bigger sensor than the Q and that, in my opinion, is far more important in terms of image quality than the number of megapixels a sensor has.
I like the idea of buying a second hand DSLR because right now I'm on budget, like you mentioned before if the camera lacks video I don't mind. My Q has video and I never use it I only use it to take pictures, going back to the DSLR that you mentioned before they're in a considerable price because I've seen some DSLR going up to a 1,500 or more.

---------- Post added 09-13-14 at 11:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
Much of this is true but like all tools, each camera has it’s strengths. You do not use a hammer to fix a watch nor a screwdriver to pound nails. As Blunty says in his review the Q series is NOT for everyone. The strengths and weaknesses of the Q series (I am referring to all the models in this series including the latest model) have been well documented in reviews and on many of the boards. People who ignore those reviews and purchase a Q series camera and expect it to do something for which it was not designed are disappointed.

One of the Q’s series camera’s strength is it’s depth of field which makes it less desirable as a portrait or head shot camera. (Though as I mentioned in another post I have used it for head shots for which I was paid.) However, check out the photo’s in my album or go to my WEB site and see images shot with the Q that make use of that strength in depth of field. While I have a Pentax K110, a K-5, and a K-5IIs and use them for their strengths, the Q7’s that I own are better at taking the types of photo’s I show in the areas I mentioned above. While I know I have seen some folks do so with good results, considering the cameras I have to choose from, I doubt the Q7 would be my first choice on any of my extended motorcycle touring trips.

Another strength is the lens focal length multiplication factor that applies when using the appropriate adapter and other lenses. While that is not one of the reasons I purchased the Q system, I have ordered an adapter and will try some shots using Pentax 110 series lenses as has been mentioned in another post here.

I am also intrigued by the street shots some folks have posted. I know from experience that when using a full size DSLR camera, people are more aware of it and less likely to cooperate but the small size of the Q series make it less conspicuous in such situations. Remember the Ashton Kutcher advertisements showing him pulling the Nikon out of his pocket at a party and how cool it was to start shooting images of people at the party. The Q series with the 01 prime lens is similar and is a real conversation starter at parties and you can put it back in your pocket and not worry about someone stealing it while your partying. Try that with a DSLR.

Think of the Q as one of the tools in your tool box. In the future, as you define your interests in photography, you may add more tools better suited for the type of photographs you want to shoot at that time. Maybe a DSLR or larger mirror less camera. Remember that many folks commenting here have numerous tools in their tool box thus have alternatives to using the Q for everything.

So the question is not which lens you should purchase first but rather what type of photography interests you today. That will define what lens you should consider purchasing. Whatever you decide as the quoted comment alludes to, work with what you currently have and see if it suits your needs before spending money on additional lenses.

Denny
Thanks Denny for your great response that gives me another point of view of how to look at things now, you been in this field longer than me and I respect people with experience because you can learn a lot from them. Usually what I do with my Q system is go out and take pictures of people, signs, buildings or something that gather my attention. I usually shoot on the street like in my local farmer grocery, on the bay area or downtown. This may sound silly but I carry my Q all the time except for work but besides that it's always on my and since it's so small it doesn't bother me at all. I have been developing a thing for photography I read all the time about photography or watch pics that you guys post on the forums, they're very unique and interesting. Again thanks for all the experience you provide.
09-13-2014, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter

I have the 01 prime, 02 zoom, and the 03 fisheye. The 01 prime is very a good and very sharp lens on my original Q. At f/2.2 it produces crisp edges and wonderful colors. It is a perfect walk around lens for capturing daily life. The 01 lens is significantly sharper in terms of crispness compared to the 02. Like others have said, the 02 is just OK and you may not realize it until you try the 01. With some clever post processing you can render your RAW images taken with the 02 to compare favorably with the 01. You will need liberal amounts of sharpening, contrast, definition, and a little bit of saturation.

I got my 01 lens with my first original Q (used) and sold the body. Then I used that money to buy another original Q (new, this time) with the 02 lens and I still have that body. It seems that the 01 is very expensive as a stand alone lens. If you want the 01 lens and if you don't mind a bit of hassle then I would recommend you buy a used kit that includes the 01 lens and sell the body. You may come out ahead that way. A lot of people want just the lens vs. a kit so sometimes the kits are priced comparably lower when considering there's a body included.

Otherwise, I would highly recommend the 03 fisheye. If you can center the horizontal elements that are important with the center of the image then the fisheye effect is minimized except for what is in the edges and corners. For landscape work this may not even be detected by the viewer.

IMGP6035
by Never Off, on Flickr

Used like this the 03 fisheye can be very nice wide angle lens. The image above was taken at 4:3 ratio. I cropped the upper half at 3:2 to lower the horizon.

The fisheye effect can be rather extreme if that is something you are interested in exploring.

IMGP6008
by Never Off, on Flickr

Others have used the 03 fisheye lens as a close focusing macro lens and "de-fished" the image a bit to remove some of the distortion at the expense of some resolution. I remember seeing a thread here on PF about that.

One of the drawbacks is the lack of autofocus and the slow aperture. Without autofocus you must depend on the focus peaking function of your Q. I enabled the blinking highlights and shadows warning. They are at their maximum when the image is in focus. The slow aperture helps and hurts. It increases an already deep depth of field to relax the focusing requirement but it also allows diffraction to start creeping in. For wide angle views this is probably not an issue. It's something we gear heads get obsessed about but it's probably nothing anyone would realistically notice in print or 2MP view on a larger monitor. Pixel peeping is a different matter but that's like looking at fingernails and skin under a microscope.
09-13-2014, 11:52 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I have the 01 prime, 02 zoom, and the 03 fisheye. The 01 prime is very a good and very sharp lens on my original Q. At f/2.2 it produces crisp edges and wonderful colors. It is a perfect walk around lens for capturing daily life. The 01 lens is significantly sharper in terms of crispness compared to the 02. Like others have said, the 02 is just OK and you may not realize it until you try the 01. With some clever post processing you can render your RAW images taken with the 02 to compare favorably with the 01. You will need liberal amounts of sharpening, contrast, definition, and a little bit of saturation.

I got my 01 lens with my first original Q (used) and sold the body. Then I used that money to buy another original Q (new, this time) with the 02 lens and I still have that body. It seems that the 01 is very expensive as a stand alone lens. If you want the 01 lens and if you don't mind a bit of hassle then I would recommend you buy a used kit that includes the 01 lens and sell the body. You may come out ahead that way. A lot of people want just the lens vs. a kit so sometimes the kits are priced comparably lower when considering there's a body included.

Otherwise, I would highly recommend the 03 fisheye. If you can center the horizontal elements that are important with the center of the image then the fisheye effect is minimized except for what is in the edges and corners. For landscape work this may not even be detected by the viewer.

IMGP6035
by Never Off, on Flickr

Used like this the 03 fisheye can be very nice wide angle lens. The image above was taken at 4:3 ratio. I cropped the upper half at 3:2 to lower the horizon.

The fisheye effect can be rather extreme if that is something you are interested in exploring.

IMGP6008
by Never Off, on Flickr

Others have used the 03 fisheye lens as a close focusing macro lens and "de-fished" the image a bit to remove some of the distortion at the expense of some resolution. I remember seeing a thread here on PF about that.

One of the drawbacks is the lack of autofocus and the slow aperture. Without autofocus you must depend on the focus peaking function of your Q. I enabled the blinking highlights and shadows warning. They are at their maximum when the image is in focus. The slow aperture helps and hurts. It increases an already deep depth of field to relax the focusing requirement but it also allows diffraction to start creeping in. For wide angle views this is probably not an issue. It's something we gear heads get obsessed about but it's probably nothing anyone would realistically notice in print or 2MP view on a larger monitor. Pixel peeping is a different matter but that's like looking at fingernails and skin under a microscope.
Thanks I was looking at something like this I wanted to compare the fish eye with the other lenses. Like you said the 01 lens is very expensive I think I'm going to get a Used Q system with a 01 if I can find one.

09-13-2014, 01:57 PM   #20
Veteran Member

For a beginner with limited funds it cannot be a matter of accumulating as many tools as possible, but to achieve optimal output with a limited amount of tools. Contrary to what you state, the question is not merely "what type of photography interests you today", but also what kind of photography might interest you tomorrow. Will the Q be able to keep up with the increasing demands of the user as he grows more adept at his art and discovers new fields worthy of exploration? Doubtful. If someone new to photography, with a discernable passion for his new hobby, asked me if he should buy a Q or not, my reply would be in the negative. I would tell him to get a K50 instead. By paying 100-200 USD more, you will have a camera at your disposal that will also be able to meet your future demands.

QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote

Denny

---------- Post added 09-13-14 at 23:16 ----------

QuoteQuote:
text
sidwes14: "I like the idea of buying a second hand DSLR because right now I'm on budget, like you mentioned before if the camera lacks video I don't mind. My Q has video and I never use it I only use it to take pictures, going back to the DSLR that you mentioned before they're in a considerable price because I've seen some DSLR going up to a 1,500 or more."
QuoteQuote:
text
There are people here who have picked up a used Kr for less than 200 USD. Some guy here also bought one for less than 100 USD. It was sold as defective, but it turned out that resetting the camera was all that was required to make it work flawlessly again. I am not saying that you should take a chance on a camera that is being sold as defective, but be on the lookout. The market value of cameras tends to depreciate at a fast pace, and that's another reason for thinking twice before you pull the trigger. The kr with the kit lens is often being sold for considerably less than 200 USD on eBay.

Last edited by DominicVII; 09-13-2014 at 02:22 PM.
09-13-2014, 11:27 PM   #21

Original Poster
For a beginner with limited funds it cannot be a matter of accumulating as many tools as possible, but to achieve optimal output with a limited amount of tools. Contrary to what you state, the question is not merely "what type of photography interests you today", but also what kind of photography might interest you tomorrow. Will the Q be able to keep up with the increasing demands of the user as he grows more adept at his art and discovers new fields worthy of exploration? Doubtful. If someone new to photography, with a discernable passion for his new hobby, asked me if he should buy a Q or not, my reply would be in the negative. I would tell him to get a K50 instead. By paying 100-200 USD more, you will have a camera at your disposal that will also be able to meet your future demands.

---------- Post added 09-13-14 at 23:16 ----------

sidwes14: "I like the idea of buying a second hand DSLR because right now I'm on budget, like you mentioned before if the camera lacks video I don't mind. My Q has video and I never use it I only use it to take pictures, going back to the DSLR that you mentioned before they're in a considerable price because I've seen some DSLR going up to a 1,500 or more."

There are people here who have picked up a used Kr for less than 200 USD. Some guy here also bought one for less than 100 USD. It was sold as defective, but it turned out that resetting the camera was all that was required to make it work flawlessly again. I am not saying that you should take a chance on a camera that is being sold as defective, but be on the lookout. The market value of cameras tends to depreciate at a fast pace, and that's another reason for thinking twice before you pull the trigger. The kr with the kit lens is often being sold for considerably less than 200 USD on eBay.
Indeed that is true I need to look up for tools for this hobby that is growing day by day no matter what is the situation I always like to be prepared and this won't be the exception. As for that KR camera I'm going to look for it right now that's going to develop more my skills I guess since it has more control over the av, tv, p, m, and all those dials on the camera. How did you guys LEARN about photography? by school, hobby like me or how?
09-13-2014, 11:33 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Don't get too hung up on the gear. Yes, gear does influence your work and your style but it doesn't necessarily make or break you. Your pictures will still look like your pictures whether you shoot film or digital, compact or DSLR, etc. Look around and easy to find the masterpiece shot with an iPhone and slew of junk shot with a DSLR. The cameras and lenses of today far exceed anything the masters of the past had but I am still mastered by the great works of the past.

As far as learning ... well, your passion will drive you. HCB famously said that your first 10,000 are the worst. After that you may notice an uptick in your work. So, get out there and start taking pictures!
09-13-2014, 11:42 PM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Don't get too hung up on the gear. Yes, gear does influence your work and your style but it doesn't necessarily make or break you. Your pictures will still look like your pictures whether you shoot film or digital, compact or DSLR, etc. Look around and easy to find the masterpiece shot with an iPhone and slew of junk shot with a DSLR. The cameras and lenses of today far exceed anything the masters of the past had but I am still mastered by the great works of the past.

As far as learning ... well, your passion will drive you. HCB famously said that your first 10,000 are the worst. After that you may notice an uptick in your work. So, get out there and start taking pictures!
I know I need to keep playing with my camera take lots of pictures and look for that picture that gathers my attention. As it right now I'm enjoying my Q system .

---------- Post added 09-14-14 at 12:12 AM ----------

There is an excellent thread pinned at the top of the Q forum for adapted lenses - click here It's well worth a look and there are lots of sample images.

As far as a DSLR is concerned I guess it depends on your budget, the features that are important to you and your expectations. I have a K500 and love it, although some critics berate it for missing one or two features. Moving up the range there is the K50 which is well regarded for the money. HOwever, you don't have to go to to the expense of a new DSLR if you can't afford one. For example, I wanted a backup camera to my K500 so I recently bought a secondhand K-100D with the 18-55mm kit lens for well under £100 from eBay. It's only got a 6mp sensor, doesn't have live view and doesn't shoot video, but none of that bothers me and I think the results from it are excellent, especially for what it cost me! The big advantage I find with the DSLRs over the Q and other compacts is the lack of shutter lag. Obviously DSLRs will have a much bigger sensor than the Q and that, in my opinion, is far more important in terms of image quality than the number of megapixels a sensor has.
Is it a good thing to have AA batteries on a camera or disadvantage? Because I noticed that the Pentax K100D super has 4 AA batteries.

09-14-2014, 01:58 AM   #24
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sidwes14 Quote
Is it a good thing to have AA batteries on a camera or disadvantage? Because I noticed that the Pentax K100D super has 4 AA batteries.
You can use two CRV3 bateries as an alternative to using four AA batteries, and of course you can use rechargeable versions of both types of battery. My K-100D came with an aftermarket battery battery grip that has a built in rechargeable battery. I've not had it long emough to comment on battery life so far, but if it proves to be poor I think I'd go for a pair of rechargeable CRV3 batteries rather than rechargeable AAs.

I think you'd get a better response to this question over on the DLSR section of the forum - there are quite a few K-100D users that post there, and other older Pentax DSLRs aso use AA batteries.
09-14-2014, 06:22 AM   #25

Original Poster
You can use two CRV3 bateries as an alternative to using four AA batteries, and of course you can use rechargeable versions of both types of battery. My K-100D came with an aftermarket battery battery grip that has a built in rechargeable battery. I've not had it long emough to comment on battery life so far, but if it proves to be poor I think I'd go for a pair of rechargeable CRV3 batteries rather than rechargeable AAs.

I think you'd get a better response to this question over on the DLSR section of the forum - there are quite a few K-100D users that post there, and other older Pentax DSLRs aso use AA batteries.
I might need to look into those forums, because I was doing some research into that camera and it's nice but I was wondering about battery life
09-14-2014, 09:18 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I might need to look into those forums, because I was doing some research into that camera and it's nice but I was wondering about battery life
If you are gonna get a used dslr, I would recommend one with liveview; this is an extremely useful feature to have for manual focusing. All pentax dslrs from k7 and onwards have liveview. Prior to that only the k20d had it if I am not wrong.
09-14-2014, 09:34 AM   #27

Original Poster
If you are gonna get a used dslr, I would recommend one with liveview; this is an extremely useful feature to have for manual focusing. All pentax dslrs from k7 and onwards have liveview. Prior to that only the k20d had it if I am not wrong.
And that's what I was thinking how do you guys focus? So to see how am I focusing I need a camera With live view. So none of the k5 has that feature?
09-14-2014, 09:43 AM   #28
Veteran Member

And that's what I was thinking how do you guys focus? So to see how am I focusing I need a camera With live view. So none of the k5 has that feature?
The k7 was launched in May 2009; all the DSLRs from k7 and onwards have liveview, including k5.

Strictly speaking, liveview is no necessity, but it is an extremely useful feature. You will have the dual option of viewfinder and liveview, and you yourself can decide when to use either of the two for focusing. I use viewfinder for macro shots and action photography; for portrait shots I mostly use liveview.

As for learning about photography, practice is the best strategy. Not having to pay for developing film and printing pictures means that it doesn't cost much to experiment. Don't be afraid of making your own decisions; as long as you yourself are happy with your own pictures, it shouldn't matter to you what others think. Most books about photography are not particularly helpful, but here is one noteworthy exception that I know of:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0789496372/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Get it used in 'very good' or 'as new' condition. It will cost you 4-5 USD including shipping. Take note of the exposure settings for the hundreds upon hundreds of pictures and try to replicate the results you see in the book.

Last edited by DominicVII; 09-14-2014 at 11:42 AM.
09-14-2014, 12:20 PM   #29

Original Poster
The k7 was launched in May 2009; all the DSLRs from k7 and onwards have liveview, including k5.

Strictly speaking, liveview is no necessity, but it is an extremely useful feature. You will have the dual option of viewfinder and liveview, and you yourself can decide when to use either of the two for focusing. I use viewfinder for macro shots and action photography; for portrait shots I mostly use liveview.

As for learning about photography, practice is the best strategy. Not having to pay for developing film and printing pictures means that it doesn't cost much to experiment. Don't be afraid of making your own decisions; as long as you yourself are happy with your own pictures, it shouldn't matter to you what others think. Most books about photography are not particularly helpful, but here is one noteworthy exception that I know of:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0789496372/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Get it used in 'very good' or 'as new' condition. It will cost you 4-5 USD including shipping. Take note of the exposure settings for the hundreds upon hundreds of pictures and try to replicate the results you see in the book.
That's what I want to learn, I want to learn about exposure, aperture, shutter speed and all those things. I don't want to use always auto mode I want to know about the f stops and so on. Thank you for the book and for all the info you have been providing not only you but the other people that has contribute to this thread.
09-14-2014, 05:16 PM   #30
Site Supporter

You'll discover that with some practice you'll get the hang of the craft and the technical aspect of photography. It's somewhat easy because you can assign a number to the configuration. A shutter speed. An aperture setting. ISO. All numbers. Anything with a number can be adjusted up and down. Once you get past all the technical aspects then the real fun begins. You start thinking more about the light and shadows first, knowing that there is always a shutter speed, aperture, and ISO setting which will work best.