Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2014, 04:21 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Which lens should I buy first? and tips for a beginner

Hello I pick up a Pentax Q7 and it came with a Standard zoom lens, I want something more wider and I was thinking on buying a Prime lens or the Fish Eye lens. The question here is what should I buy first the 01 or the 03 lens ?

Last edited by sidwes14; 09-15-2014 at 09:09 PM. Reason: out of topic
09-12-2014, 04:41 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 01 Prime is a much faster lens, so probably more useful, in my opinion.
09-12-2014, 04:44 PM   #3

Original Poster
I was reading the review on that lens and I think I will buy that one and the fish eye later. Also I would like to get the 08 but it is way out of my budget right now.
09-12-2014, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #4
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sidwes14 Quote
I was reading the review on that lens and I think I will buy that one and the fish eye later. Also I would like to get the 08 but it is way out of my budget right now.
Remember that the 01 sits within the focal range of your current zoom. Its only claim to fame is it can do the 8.5mm better than the zoom as in using open to obtain a shallow depth of field and of course general image quality. The 03 sits outside your zoom range and probably is best to think of as a creative addition. So it really is about what you are wanting to achieve. I have the zoom and the 01 and am looking forward to purchasing the 03 soon.

09-12-2014, 06:24 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Remember that the 01 sits within the focal range of your current zoom. Its only claim to fame is it can do the 8.5mm better than the zoom as in using open to obtain a shallow depth of field and of course general image quality. The 03 sits outside your zoom range and probably is best to think of as a creative addition. So it really is about what you are wanting to achieve. I have the zoom and the 01 and am looking forward to purchasing the 03 soon.
I'm looking forward to purchase the 01, where did you get yours? Or it came with your camera?
09-12-2014, 07:01 PM - 1 Like   #6
Unregistered User

Hello I pick up a Pentax Q7 and it came with a Standard zoom lens, I want something more wider and I was thinking on buying a Prime lens or the Fish Eye lens. The question here is what should I buy first the 01 or the 03 lens ?
I owned both 01 Prime and 02 Zoom, but I hardly ever used the prime, although it is optically superior. You will have little influence on the DOF even with the f/1.9 prime, given the tiny Q-sensor with 4.7x crop factor. If I were you, I would buy the 06 telezoom instead. Of course: your needs may differ from mine, but I quickly came to regret the dual investment in the mentioned lenses. One would have sufficed, and I found the 02 to be far more versatile.
09-12-2014, 07:49 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
I owned both 01 Prime and 02 Zoom, but I hardly ever used the prime, although it is optically superior. You will have little influence on the DOF even with the f/1.9 prime, given the tiny Q-sensor with 4.7x crop factor. If I were you, I would buy the 06 telezoom instead. Of course: your needs may differ from mine, but I quickly came to regret the dual investment in the mentioned lenses. One would have sufficed, and I found the 02 to be far more versatile.
I really like the 02 lens but I need a more wider lens I want to capture more stuff, even though I'm planning on buying all the lenses I would like to know if I can put other type of lenses with a mount converter or something like that and if there is one can I see some examples ?

Thanks

09-12-2014, 08:01 PM   #8
Unregistered User

I really like the 02 lens but I need a more wider lens I want to capture more stuff, even though I'm planning on buying all the lenses I would like to know if I can put other type of lenses with a mount converter or something like that and if there is one can I see some examples ?

Thanks
But the prime, as GUB pointed out, is not wider than the zoom. If you want anything wider than that, you would have to opt for the 03 Fisheye or the more expensive ultra wide angle lens. I can't think of any other options.
09-12-2014, 08:17 PM   #9

Original Poster
But the prime, as GUB pointed out, is not wider than the zoom. If you want anything wider than that, you would have to opt for the 03 Fisheye or the more expensive ultra wide angle lens. I can't think of any other options.
ohh ok ok I'm learning little by little thanks for the patience and help, Idk why I didn't find photography early is so much fun and interesting.
09-12-2014, 08:39 PM   #10
Unregistered User

ohh ok ok I'm learning little by little thanks for the patience and help, Idk why I didn't find photography early is so much fun and interesting.
And I would advise you to not invest too much money in the Q system either. You might find yourself wanting to upgrade to a DSLR very soon. Q is a viable system in relative terms, but it also has its shortcomings: difficult to throw the background out of focus during portrait shots unless you have the 06 telephoto lens, low light performance that cannot match a DSLR (for obvious reasons), and an autfocus system that is of limited efficacy, i.e., if you are gonna take pictures of kids bouncing hither and thither, the Q is not going to be up to the task. I used to own two Qs and four lenses, and I ended up selling everything, for the simple reason that the limitations to the system became to much of an annoyance in the long run. Even so, I do like the Q system, and I stand by my glowing reviews.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 09-12-2014 at 08:45 PM.
09-12-2014, 08:54 PM   #11
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm looking forward to purchase the 01, where did you get yours? Or it came with your camera?
Came with the camera. When I am not playing around with adapted lens it stays on the camera. I found the zoom uninspiring.

---------- Post added 09-13-14 at 03:57 PM ----------

I would like to know if I can put other type of lenses with a mount converter or something like that
Yep that is what I enjoy playing at. But there is no real option of wide angle lens using adapted lens. The strength of adapting is in telephoto and close up stuff.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/209474-adapted-lenses-tested...ce-thread.html

---------- Post added 09-13-14 at 04:03 PM ----------

And I would advise you to not invest too much money in the Q system either. You might find yourself wanting to upgrade to a DSLR very soon. Q is a viable system in relative terms, but it also has its shortcomings: difficult to throw the background out of focus during portrait shots unless you have the 06 telephoto lens, low light performance that cannot match a DSLR (for obvious reasons), and an autfocus system that is of limited efficacy, i.e., if you are gonna take pictures of kids bouncing hither and thither, the Q is not going to be up to the task. I used to own two Qs and four lenses, and I ended up selling everything, for the simple reason that the limitations to the system became to much of an annoyance in the long run. Even so, I do like the Q system, and I stand by my glowing reviews.
And I have to reluctantly agree with this. I was hoping the Q would be a substitute for the K30 when multiday hiking but I am finding the compromise a bit much.
But make no mistake-- the Q is heaps of fun -- my sample images you may bump into on this forum are part of my learning curve with photography and the experience gained from doing these is spilling over into my K30 images.
09-12-2014, 09:24 PM   #12

Original Poster
I know that's true but for instance that I'mm learning what camera should I buy next? I simply do this for hobby, but I would like to learn photography well.

---------- Post added 09-12-14 at 09:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Came with the camera. When I am not playing around with adapted lens it stays on the camera. I found the zoom uninspiring.

---------- Post added 09-13-14 at 03:57 PM ----------

Yep that is what I enjoy playing at. But there is no real option of wide angle lens using adapted lens. The strength of adapting is in telephoto and close up stuff.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/209474-adapted-lenses-tested...ce-thread.html

---------- Post added 09-13-14 at 04:03 PM ----------

And I have to reluctantly agree with this. I was hoping the Q would be a substitute for the K30 when multiday hiking but I am finding the compromise a bit much.
But make no mistake-- the Q is heaps of fun -- my sample images you may bump into on this forum are part of my learning curve with photography and the experience gained from doing these is spilling over into my K30 images.
Sometime in the future I would like to upgrade to a DSLR camera by that time I hope I learned all the basics so I can understand all the bells and whistles of a DSLR camera.
09-13-2014, 06:18 AM - 1 Like   #13
Forum Member

I would go for the fisheye to start with - it's relatively cheap (I got a new one for about £70 on eBay), and way cheaper than getting a decent proper fisheye for a DSLR. See how you get on with manual focussing (because the fish eye is a manual focus lens), and if you're OK with it you can start looking at adapted lenses.

As far as adpated lenses go I would recommend the Pentax 110 lenses with suitable convertor - they are small and light and give great picture quality when you do the very easy 'ring binder' mod to stop down the aperture. They're also cheap, as is the mount adapter.

Alternatively, or additionally, get an adapter to use SLR lenses on your Q. Something like a 28-80mm zoom, or similar, will effectively act as a telephoto zoom on your Q. They are cheap and in plentiful supply oneBay. With any adapted lens you will have to focus manual, but I found manual focus lenses easier to focus than using the small manual focus rings on autofocus lenses. I would recommend you stick with Pentax for your DSLR if you start up a collection of manual focus lenses. Other camera makers have their anti-shake systems built into the lenses themselves but Pentax has it built into the body. This means that you can benefit from the antishake with older manual lenses.
09-13-2014, 06:31 AM   #14

Original Poster
Wow you have a lot of information, by any chance do you guys have a thread in where they show the different type of q lenses and pics taken by them. What would be a good starting DSLR a K3 or is way out of my league Hehe, I'm not going to buy it soon but I would like to know. Because as I am learning I would definitely want something with more features. BTW thank you for the info I'm going to do a little research in those lenses and adapters.
09-13-2014, 09:45 AM   #15
Forum Member

There is an excellent thread pinned at the top of the Q forum for adapted lenses - click here It's well worth a look and there are lots of sample images.

As far as a DSLR is concerned I guess it depends on your budget, the features that are important to you and your expectations. I have a K500 and love it, although some critics berate it for missing one or two features. Moving up the range there is the K50 which is well regarded for the money. HOwever, you don't have to go to to the expense of a new DSLR if you can't afford one. For example, I wanted a backup camera to my K500 so I recently bought a secondhand K-100D with the 18-55mm kit lens for well under £100 from eBay. It's only got a 6mp sensor, doesn't have live view and doesn't shoot video, but none of that bothers me and I think the results from it are excellent, especially for what it cost me! The big advantage I find with the DSLRs over the Q and other compacts is the lack of shutter lag. Obviously DSLRs will have a much bigger sensor than the Q and that, in my opinion, is far more important in terms of image quality than the number of megapixels a sensor has.