Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2014, 04:27 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax Q 06 lens focussing noise

Hi.

I've noticed in another thread the discussion about focussing noise on the Q's 06 lens. Does anybody have a firmer view on this now?

I bought an 06 lens and loved it. Wonderful. But then I was using it in a fairly quiet place one time and noticed a very strange "clunking gears" noise coming from it when it passed through a certain point in the focus. This happens in both manual and auto.

I returned it for a replacement. Which arrived totally non-functional. Second replacement arrived today and works fine, but still has the disconcerting "clunking gears" noise when the focus goes through a certain point.

Other 06 lens owners: could you go to a quiet place and see whether yours has a similar noise? Would put my mind at ease, because my 01 and 02 lenses have no such noise.

Thanks.

09-19-2014, 05:10 AM   #2

on my Q7 the 06 is louder than the 02.... but the difference is nothing... the 06 produces a buzz which is barely audible. Perhaps my ears are used to old fashioned screw drive lenses that sound like chainsaws?
09-19-2014, 05:42 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by spinno Quote
on my Q7 the 06 is louder than the 02.... but the difference is nothing... the 06 produces a buzz which is barely audible. Perhaps my ears are used to old fashioned screw drive lenses that sound like chainsaws?
Perhaps I'm just being paranoid. I agree that the noise of the 06 is not loud, it's just the fact that it's only audible when it goes through a certain point in the focussing range. Like a scratching metallic noise..
09-19-2014, 10:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Never had that issue with either of my two 06's.

09-19-2014, 11:00 AM   #5

Original Poster
Have I just been really unlucky? Two models with some kind of loose mechanism inside (?) and one total dud.

Oh well. It does have a two year guarantee, so if it breaks, it breaks!
04-23-2021, 09:07 AM   #6

Hi, I am attaching the mpeg file with fosucing sound of my new 06 telezoom. Please can the owners of this lense tell me if is this normal? 01&02 are quiet in comparsion, without these "metal sheet" sounds. ..but I'm not experienced in telephoto lenses. The sound can be heard also when focusing manually.
Thank you!
Attached Files
File Type: mpeg dub-23_-173227.mpeg (992.0 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by paulie_; 04-28-2021 at 02:23 AM.
05-07-2021, 07:54 PM - 1 Like   #7
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paulie_ Quote
Hi, I am attaching the mpeg file with fosucing sound of my new 06 telezoom. Please can the owners of this lense tell me if is this normal? 01&02 are quiet in comparsion, without these "metal sheet" sounds. ..but I'm not experienced in telephoto lenses. The sound can be heard also when focusing manually.
Thank you!
Listen to my recording of Q7/06 combination in action (sorry I cannot directly attach mp3 or wav and don't know how to convert audio to mpeg, just unzip it to get mp3). As soon as I half-pressed the shutter button the camera made the first AF scan (first sound), overshot and went back a bit (second sound), somehow missed the focus, went back (third sound) and got it right, beeped, and finally made a clicking sound when I removed my finger off of the shutter button.

AF motor of my 06 lens is louder than 01 or 02. It doesn't sound like your recording, though.

Attached Files
File Type: zip STE-000.zip (82.5 KB, 4 views)
05-11-2021, 03:01 AM   #8

Hi kwb, many thanks for your record! It sounds very different in comparsion. My lens is new from Japanesse Amazon, so propably I won't deal with it, if it works.. It is a pity that the quality of the lenses fluctuates in this way.. But I still can't stop enjoying this system. Hope the love isn't blind :-D