Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2014, 04:27 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax Q 06 lens focussing noise

Hi.

I've noticed in another thread the discussion about focussing noise on the Q's 06 lens. Does anybody have a firmer view on this now?

I bought an 06 lens and loved it. Wonderful. But then I was using it in a fairly quiet place one time and noticed a very strange "clunking gears" noise coming from it when it passed through a certain point in the focus. This happens in both manual and auto.

I returned it for a replacement. Which arrived totally non-functional. Second replacement arrived today and works fine, but still has the disconcerting "clunking gears" noise when the focus goes through a certain point.

Other 06 lens owners: could you go to a quiet place and see whether yours has a similar noise? Would put my mind at ease, because my 01 and 02 lenses have no such noise.

Thanks.

09-19-2014, 05:10 AM   #2
Forum Member

on my Q7 the 06 is louder than the 02.... but the difference is nothing... the 06 produces a buzz which is barely audible. Perhaps my ears are used to old fashioned screw drive lenses that sound like chainsaws?
09-19-2014, 05:42 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by spinno Quote
on my Q7 the 06 is louder than the 02.... but the difference is nothing... the 06 produces a buzz which is barely audible. Perhaps my ears are used to old fashioned screw drive lenses that sound like chainsaws?
Perhaps I'm just being paranoid. I agree that the noise of the 06 is not loud, it's just the fact that it's only audible when it goes through a certain point in the focussing range. Like a scratching metallic noise..
09-19-2014, 10:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Never had that issue with either of my two 06's.

09-19-2014, 11:00 AM   #5

Original Poster
Have I just been really unlucky? Two models with some kind of loose mechanism inside (?) and one total dud.

Oh well. It does have a two year guarantee, so if it breaks, it breaks!